2012 Mazda5 Transmission Fluid Type and Transmission Issue

Kerwynn

2012 Mazda 5 Sport Manual
Hey all,

I'm new to manual world and trying to get into fixing car stuff myself. For my 2012 Mazda5 manual transmission I am looking at draining and replacing fluids. What MTX fluid would I be okay to use?

Additionally, I had my 6th gear go while on a road trip while on cruise control up a small hill. I do a lot of highway driving and just hit 200K miles on my 2012. In draining, I am hoping (or not hoping) that none of the gears broke and don't drain out. I had sporadic bearing/spinning noises I believe, which leads me to believe that a bearing is gone. Later when going up hill on the highway, with the whirring noise gone while in 6th gear essentially it lost gear/power, with the shifter still in gear, and cruise control off so I downshifted to 5th until I got to a mechanic. Essentially, I neglected her for a while and forgot to check transmission fluid which was stupid of me. I had a leak on the axle seals and a side pan gasket leak that I'm going to have replaced but I want to check first before doing anything. While on the road trip I guess it was down to 1qt out of the 3qt that the mechanic told me so he topped it off enough for me to get home the next 1000 miles. Reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear still works. 6th is gone and can be shifted into the slot, doesnt kick out, and no gear connects thus I progressively lose RPMs and power and revs like I am in neutral. Essentially I think I might have lost the gear entirely or the fork is gone?

But now I am thinking I want to check fluids for bits of gear, drop transmission or take her in, or order a new transmission if the prior issues are bad.

Thanks all!

Back