Never seen this topic posted

tuOdekcalB

:
09 Mazdaspeed 3
First off if I am wrong go right ahead and flame the s*** out of me =D but I have never seen it. Plus not even sure what to search for.

Ok well to the question. I now basics of a car i guess, but some of these things i hear you guys saying, AFR ect... I have no clue what it is and what are safe and not safe numbers.

So pretty much, for guys like me, what mods should I not do. Like basic bolts I feel like are ok, ( SRI, BPV, TMIC, TIP, RMM) but like down pipes and tunes should I stay away from? Like at what point would you consider is go to far without knowing about all the technical stuff.

I want to have a very safe ride, more safe than power IMO.

Thanks.

well thats easy to answer, when it comes to more then just DIY bolt on's then your "going to far". but then again since your going with more safe then power, I would recommend what I have in my Sig and your good to go, it will be reliable but still darn fun to drive.

lol damn that is a lot of s***. kool thanks. Yea i am getting sick of being stock. need to get my credit card to zero so I can start having some fun.

AFR is Air/Fuel ratio. It describes the relationship between air charge and the amount of fuel necessary to burn it. 14.7:1 is stoich. But for FI... you'll never see that.

Last edited:
If I had it all over to do again, I would go with the mods to help get stock power to the ground, then move on from there. I would suggest in this order:

1. Rear motor mount (don't go for the stiffest)
2. Transmission side mount (again, go for a softer poly)
3. Stiffer springs or coilovers (with these 3 mods, your car should feel much more "direct" and "jump" when you hit the fun pedal)
4. Intake
5. TIP (you can do the corksport intake which is both intake and turbo inlet pipe)
6. test pipe (these are easier to replace than the downpipe. You retain the cat in the DP. I pass emissions no problem)

You should be able to do these 6 things for under $1000. All of them can be done with a moderate set of tools and know how. The hardest to do will be the transmission side mount, but you can probably find someone to help you or a good write up.

edit: the suspension will be the hardest, lol. If you do just springs or buy a coilover setup that uses stock upper mounts, you will have to buy or rent a spring compressor. The 2 coilovers (that I know of) that come ready to go are BC and Yellow-Speed.

Last edited:
tranny mount harder than a suspension install? My tranny mount install was a breeze, only pain in the ass is taking out the battery box in my opinion. Makes me optimistic when I finally upgrade my suspension.

lol, you're right, the suspension was a pain and I didn't have to mess with a spring compressor...

Latest posts

Back