Need Stiffer Rear Coils

The spring barrel (Y, S, straight) has not bearing on fitment. This typically affects the progressive/linear behavior of the spring. Btw, you are only measuring I.D. on the top and bottom most coils only, correct?

In this particular case I was eyeballing the size of the seat on the underside of the mount, and the ID of the spring, but yes, referring to ID.

I’d say the diameter of that top coil manifestly has a bearing on fitment. It has to have an end coil which gets to a small enough size to mate with the mount.

That said, if the top coil is too wide to fit the Mazda 5 top mount, I'd think the solution could be as simple as getting matching CX7 top mounts. Look at some parts diagram to get a quick visual confirmation. The top mount consists of bearings+isolator fitted inside of a hard mount housings. This part 'should' be interchangeable b/c the top mount only uses the shock piston nut to secure the spring; the top housing mounts the whole assembly to the chassis. What needs to be confirmed is if the Cx7 top mounts aligns with the 3 holes on the Mazda 5 chassis, which I'm betting it will.

Not a bad point. I just looked it up and the CX7 uses a four stud connection vs. the three bolts on the 5. Even if you could somehow mount the 5’s top plate onto the CX7’s bearing assembly the 5 uses bolts which thread into the top plate vs. studs which go up. So they’d stick right through the plate and into the top of the spring. I’m just calling it on the front springs.

In this particular case I was eyeballing the size of the seat on the underside of the mount, and the ID of the spring, but yes, referring to ID.

I’d say the diameter of that top coil manifestly has a bearing on fitment. It has to have an end coil which gets to a small enough size to mate with the mount.

Not a bad point. I just looked it up and the CX7 uses a four stud connection vs. the three bolts on the 5. Even if you could somehow mount the 5’s top plate onto the CX7’s bearing assembly the 5 uses bolts which thread into the top plate vs. studs which go up. So they’d stick right through the plate and into the top of the spring. I’m just calling it on the front springs.
Bummer. I didn't think they are that different. Should have googled it first but thought the two cars are on same platform (like V60 and Focus cousins).

Other options:

Or just the front end leveling kit:

Here’s what the Mz5 mount looks like just sitting on the CX7 front coil.

9B1F29B6-5239-4304-B4D6-F1FA228A91D5.jpeg
585FB7EB-964D-48E7-B6B9-3B0EBDD0CE48.jpeg

Update after a long while. No issues with the CX7 lowering springs since I installed them last summer. I didn’t end up taking that car on a big trip last year, so it hasn’t really been loaded up with weight to speak of since I swapped the springs. I went to pick up some firewood today, so this is the first chance I’ve had to judge it with weight in it. This is 1/8 of a cord, kiln dried oakwood. Probably between 300-500 pounds. Barely moved the back end at all.... maybe 1/2” drop. Car drove wonderfully and felt really solid with no heaviness around corners, and no bottoming out over bumps. This is probably a little under the weight I’d be adding by having six people (three adults, three kids), a loaded roof box, and bikes on the back end. Still, a nice partway test.

Side note, a 1/8 of a cord fits perfectly behind the middle row and not rising above the tops of the middle row seats.
E671F7A1-2BB1-41E5-9518-13081BD9758C.jpeg
8C7E1B69-EE69-44F3-A94B-4CC1CC237F52.jpeg
9C2B0B23-77AB-4A89-80B1-01D7D0A76BAA.jpeg

Hello -- I am planning on doing the @AnthonyVerde Modification ... ie CX-7 AWD rear springs in the rear of the Mazda5.

Anthony -- can you tell me your wheel and tire combo? It looks like you put on smaller wheels and all-terrain tires... Please spec both.

Thank you.

Hello -- I am planning on doing the @AnthonyVerde Modification ... ie CX-7 AWD rear springs in the rear of the Mazda5.

Anthony -- can you tell me your wheel and tire combo? It looks like you put on smaller wheels and all-terrain tires... Please spec both.

Thank you.
Hahah, I love that I have a modification named after me.

I'm running a 16" wheel with 215/65r16 tires. The tires are not quite A/T spec, but do have a slightly more aggressive tread — I'd say they sit between a road tire and a trail tire. But at the 215/65 profile, you can certainly opt for an A/T tire if you'd like — Cooper, BF Goodrich, and Falken all have decent A/T tires.

Looking forward to seeing what you do! Share pictures!

Hahah, I love that I have a modification named after me.

I'm running a 16" wheel with 215/65r16 tires. The tires are not quite A/T spec, but do have a slightly more aggressive tread — I'd say they sit between a road tire and a trail tire. But at the 215/65 profile, you can certainly opt for an A/T tire if you'd like — Cooper, BF Goodrich, and Falken all have decent A/T tires.

Looking forward to seeing what you do! Share pictures!

thanks anthony... I'm trying to correct the negative camber issues on the rear by raising the ride height and stiffening the rear a tad...

are those just regular 16" steelies?
do they clear the front and rear calipers just fine?

I ordered the cx7 springs... Can't wait to do the AnthonyVerde mod!

thanks anthony... I'm trying to correct the negative camber issues on the rear by raising the ride height and stiffening the rear a tad...

are those just regular 16" steelies?
do they clear the front and rear calipers just fine?

I ordered the cx7 springs... Can't wait to do the AnthonyVerde mod!
Raising the rear will help a bit with the camber, but won't alleviate it 100%. Consider installing adjustable control arms on the rear to help.

And yeah, the steelies are nothing special. I ordered them with the tires through pmctire.com. They're a Canadian company, so shipping is free in Canada. And their prices are super competitive. I'm not a fan of the exposed hub look with steelies, so I ordered a set of used center caps from a 90-something b-series pickup. Had to drill and tap three holes in the rims to bolt the caps on.

Raising the rear will help a bit with the camber, but won't alleviate it 100%. Consider installing adjustable control arms on the rear to help.

And yeah, the steelies are nothing special. I ordered them with the tires through pmctire.com. They're a Canadian company, so shipping is free in Canada. And their prices are super competitive. I'm not a fan of the exposed hub look with steelies, so I ordered a set of used center caps from a 90-something b-series pickup. Had to drill and tap three holes in the rims to bolt the caps on.

unofrtunaltey I had an adjustable camber arm SNAP on me once... (the hollow bolt)... so I'm a bit sh00k over that experience... I feel safter 'adjusting' the camber by raising the car the 2" you say the CX-7 raises the rear...

I live off-road so I'm don't care how redonk the car looks

A 2" lift should be the equvalent of putting the camber out aprox the same ammount...

thanks for your information!

Food for thought, Platform sharing.

All cars under gen 1, 2 share similar mounts (not necessarily identical bc some are reinforced or different by design requirements). Find heaviest car with most rear weight bias, that’s the spring to look into. CX7 and Escape appears to share similar parts and the Escape’s rear spring is more readily avail -Rockauto.

you can also use KYB’s catalog to see if the rear shocks are usable. If the spring are taller, you’ll want additional shock piston travel and likely valved for heartier rear end. KYB site has more details.

Food for thought, Platform sharing.

All cars under gen 1, 2 share similar mounts (not necessarily identical bc some are reinforced or different by design requirements). Find heaviest car with most rear weight bias, that’s the spring to look into. CX7 and Escape appears to share similar parts and the Escape’s rear spring is more readily avail -Rockauto.

you can also use KYB’s catalog to see if the rear shocks are usable. If the spring are taller, you’ll want additional shock piston travel and likely valved for heartier rear end. KYB site has more details.
as long as the cx7 and spring fits the 2006 M5 I'll be happy... I live on washboard dirt road so the thing will be riding on the springs... shocks don't last a month here..lolz

can anyone confirm the exact measurement difference between the cx7 springs and the m5... 2" was posted... is that confirmed?

as long as the cx7 and spring fits the 2006 M5 I'll be happy... I live on washboard dirt road so the thing will be riding on the springs... shocks don't last a month here..lolz

can anyone confirm the exact measurement difference between the cx7 springs and the m5... 2" was posted... is that confirmed?
‘Quality’ shocks and struts, when pair correctly with the right spring should last. Main reason they fail are due to poor seals and fluids (heat kills, technically you should warm suspension fluid along with everything else before going hog wild driving).

A +2” diff on a free standing spring does not translate to 2” added travel. OEM/OEE springs are progressive. The first few inches are lost immediately once the car touches the ground bc there’s weight on it.. If the car is 3500lbs with a F60/R40 weight dist. that’s 1,400lbs or 700lbs on each rear corner at rest. Stock springs are comfy/soft and are usually at Max rating i the upper 100s lb/inch example, the first 1” of spring travel is only rated for 50lb/inch, next .5” is rated for 100lb/ice, following .5” is rated for 125lb/inch... etc. this makes progressive springs comfy yet sporty at max compression but don’t have a fix rating so you won’t know unless someone measure before and after with the only variable in changing the spring. I’m guessing the CX7 springs likely have a higher rating, + being taller, you will get some benefit but the goal is more travel in the middle range, not at rest.

@AnthonyVerde can you please spec the bolt-pattern on your steelies you have? I am doing your mod soon. Thank you...
Bolt pattern is 5x114.3" and centre bore is 67.1. These specs are standard across Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, CX3, CX5, CX7, CX9. Only differences would be wheel offsets, but they're all fairly interchangeable. Be mindful of the centre bore — it must be 67.1 or greater. Any smaller and the wheel will not fit on the hub. You can with a larger bore, but you'll need a hub adapter. Also keep in mind that a 16" wheel is the smallest that will fit the Mazda5 due to brake sizes.

All the best!

Bolt pattern is 5x114.3" and centre bore is 67.1. These specs are standard across Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, CX3, CX5, CX7, CX9. Only differences would be wheel offsets, but they're all fairly interchangeable. Be mindful of the centre bore — it must be 67.1 or greater. Any smaller and the wheel will not fit on the hub. You can with a larger bore, but you'll need a hub adapter. Also keep in mind that a 16" wheel is the smallest that will fit the Mazda5 due to brake sizes.

All the best!

Thank you -- I appreciate all your info...Perhaps when I'm done with mine I'll post all the specs with the pics...Again, thank you -- your mod goes a long way into making these vans able to handle a wasboard road out here in the desert...:)

BTDubbz....Do CX-9 rear springs fit the Mazda5?

Thank you -- I appreciate all your info...Perhaps when I'm done with mine I'll post all the specs with the pics...Again, thank you -- your mod goes a long way into making these vans able to handle a wasboard road out here in the desert...:)

BTDubbz....Do CX-9 rear springs fit the Mazda5?
No problem! We live in northern Ontario and are frequently driving on rough roads. The added lift also helps with the snow!

Unfortunately, CX-9 springs will not fit the Mazda5. The CX9 rears have an inner diameter of nearly 5" while the Mazda5's rears are only 3.35".

However, I did some research a few weeks back and discovered that early 2000's Toyota Tacoma front springs could fit the rear of the Mazda5. I believe the springs are slightly taller than the CX7s and rated for more weight as well. But they're hard to come by here in Canada (without breaking the bank), otherwise I'd get a pair to see if they'd fit!

I'm still trying to find a taller replacement for the front.

No problem! We live in northern Ontario and are frequently driving on rough roads. The added lift also helps with the snow!

Unfortunately, CX-9 springs will not fit the Mazda5. The CX9 rears have an inner diameter of nearly 5" while the Mazda5's rears are only 3.35".

However, I did some research a few weeks back and discovered that early 2000's Toyota Tacoma front springs could fit the rear of the Mazda5. I believe the springs are slightly taller than the CX7s and rated for more weight as well. But they're hard to come by here in Canada (without breaking the bank), otherwise I'd get a pair to see if they'd fit!

I'm still trying to find a taller replacement for the front.

Do CX-7 front springs/struts fit the Mazda5?

How about custom-made front springs?

Just some thoughts for you...:)

All the best!
Anthony: the springs should arrive tomorrow -- can you spec a wheel that is 5x114.3" with a 67.1 center bore with a 45 to 55 offset? I can only find a match for a 40 offset... thank you!

Anthony: the springs should arrive tomorrow -- can you spec a wheel that is 5x114.3" with a 67.1 center bore with a 45 to 55 offset? I can only find a match for a 40 offset... thank you!
Awesome.

My wheels have an offset of 45. You may be able to run a 40 — I don't think it'd be too aggressive. You may have to look around to see if anyone is running 40s without issue.

Awesome.

My wheels have an offset of 45. You may be able to run a 40 — I don't think it'd be too aggressive. You may have to look around to see if anyone is running 40s without issue.

OK thanks.. i can't find steelies with these exact specs... closest I can find are alloys off of tirerack that come with hub spacers... so I guess that's what i'll have to do...

thanks again for the info... springs come today... :)

Back