Need Stiffer Rear Coils

:
2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring
DCBA90D0-5C78-4BA9-80F1-0FAE10544FA1.jpeg

Even with Bilstein B6, Mazdaspeed 3 Sway Bar and Third row seat deletion. Still bottoming out when heading to and from a weekend in the mountains. Has anyone ever upgraded Your MZ5 with more robust coils. If so, any recommendations?

You might try a local suspension shop that could make different coils. Or search for air bags.

I just found some Firestone kits on Summit Racing . com for your car. You should call then to make sure you get the right fit if you go that route.

Last edited:
Subbing for what you figure out. I think every Mazda 5 owner has the same problem/concern about the vehicle’s ability to be loaded down with stuff. The first gen was worse, but the second gen got slightly stiffer springs for the back. Many first gen owners have swapped out the springs for the newer 2nd gen version for an improvement.

Everything I’ve seen just shows results for lowering kits which isn’t something I’m interested in. Or air systems which are way More money than I’m interested in dropping into this car..... If I were going to spend thousands of dollars on it I’d probably just invest that money into a larger minivan that offers a lot more space, power, and a heavier suspension. I’m sure there’s an OEM spring out there somewhere that’s the same overall size but with a higher spring rate.

One thing I did run across while looking at this last year was helper air bags. They’re just cylindrical air bags which go inside the rear springs. Pump them up and they help support the spring and keep it from bottoming all the way out. I’ve read generally positive reviews on Sites like etrailer.... most of the negatives have to do with people having leaks from their connection points. That site doesn’t list a match for The mazda5, so we’d need to figure out what the interior space size is and then see if there’s a bag set which would fit that.

Here’s what the bags I’m talking about look like, and our 5 loaded up for vacation the last two years.

Attachments

• 7DD5B2A4-34A2-4D42-B0B8-C63103955645.jpeg
    7DD5B2A4-34A2-4D42-B0B8-C63103955645.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 77A85C8D-7BDE-49D8-8E68-DA72AFD5E928.jpeg
    77A85C8D-7BDE-49D8-8E68-DA72AFD5E928.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 4B2CE904-31CD-429E-8005-B7A3CED8D761.jpeg
    4B2CE904-31CD-429E-8005-B7A3CED8D761.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 302
Subbing for what you figure out. I think every Mazda 5 owner has the same problem/concern about the vehicle’s ability to be loaded down with stuff. The first gen was worse, but the second gen got slightly stiffer springs for the back. Many first gen owners have swapped out the springs for the newer 2nd gen version for an improvement.

Everything I’ve seen just shows results for lowering kits which isn’t something I’m interested in. Or air systems which are way More money than I’m interested in dropping into this car..... If I were going to spend thousands of dollars on it I’d probably just invest that money into a larger minivan that offers a lot more space, power, and a heavier suspension. I’m sure there’s an OEM spring out there somewhere that’s the same overall size but with a higher spring rate.

One thing I did run across while looking at this last year was helper air bags. They’re just cylindrical air bags which go inside the rear springs. Pump them up and they help support the spring and keep it from bottoming all the way out. I’ve read generally positive reviews on Sites like etrailer.... most of the negatives have to do with people having leaks from their connection points. That site doesn’t list a match for The mazda5, so we’d need to figure out what the interior space size is and then see if there’s a bag set which would fit that.

Here’s what the bags I’m talking about look like, and our 5 loaded up for vacation the last two years.

I’m started looking into it as soon as I read your information and saw your pictures. I like my “nerd suv” as I call it to my friends. When they see how convenient the sliding doors are for retrieving gear. They see the advantages of why I acquired it.
Thank you for responding to my inquiry!
Regards

I’m started looking into it as soon as I read your information and saw your pictures. I like my “nerd suv” as I call it to my friends. When they see how convenient the sliding doors are for retrieving gear. They see the advantages of why I acquired it.
Regards

Don’t get me wrong, I love our 5. It was my daily driver for about 5 years. Now it’s my au pair’s daily driver, and our vacation vehicle to hold three adults and three kids. As my sisters love to say (one owns a 1st gen 5) the 5 is the ultimate compromise vehicle. It can hold stuff, it can hold people, but doesn’t do well at doing both at the same time. It’s small and versatile, but not overly powerful or loaded with features. It’s a little insulting that a much larger, nicer, more powerful sienna or odyssey gets basically the same gas mileage too. It wouldn’t be ideal for carrying six adults (unless you hate two of them), but for little kids you can shoehorn in the third row it’s not too bad.

Regards

I couldn’t find anything for the 5 on summit racing, however I did find some promising info. CarID .com lists a Firestone ride-rite air helpEr spring replacement air bag for the Mazda5, though the actual full kit they have doesn’t list the Mazda5, nor does it specify which size bag comes with the kit. The replacement listing does have a list of about 15-20 models it fits (among them the Mazda5). Searching sites like etrailer for some of those other cars bring up a full install kit for some of those other cars.

That’s the kit I saw listed for the 10-13 Audi A3. Runs about $145. It’s entirely possible it fits the Mazda5 but no one has ever installed it, so there’s no confirmation about it. I’m at about 90k on my original suspension, so I may be replacing my rear shocks before the summer and having the car loaded up. That would be a perfect time to try to install these as well..... I just hate the idea of ending up with the wrong size bags and not being able to install them while everything is apart.

I addressed this issue with our 5 a couple years back by replacing the stock rear coils with CX7 rear coils. They're the same diameter, but slightly taller. This won't be the go-to solution for folks wanting to maintain stock ride height (or going lower), but that wasn't a concern for me. I added a strut spacer up front to level the ride height out and added some chunkier tires as well. I'm happy to report that I was able to haul just over 1,000lbs of topsoil (in bags) a couple of weeks ago. It was definitely sagging, but no rubbing or bottoming out!

IMG_7192.jpg

I addressed this issue with our 5 a couple years back by replacing the stock rear coils with CX7 rear coils. They're the same diameter, but slightly taller. This won't be the go-to solution for folks wanting to maintain stock ride height (or going lower), but that wasn't a concern for me. I added a strut spacer up front to level the ride height out and added some chunkier tires as well. I'm happy to report that I was able to haul just over 1,000lbs of topsoil (in bags) a couple of weeks ago. It was definitely sagging, but no rubbing or bottoming out!

View attachment 224606

I had thought this was an option. I had read a long time ago that the rear suspension was shared with the CX-7 and the Mazda5. I could not find the article to verify so I did not bring it up.

Maybe the right lowering springs for a CX-7 might give you the capacity and height you desire.

Last edited:

View attachment 224606

I knew there had to be an OEM swap from something else possible. Did you change the shocks at all? If not did you notice any change with more spring and the same dampers? How much higher did it sit with just the springs? What spacer did you use for the front struts, and where does it install? Sorry for all the questions, just this is great news.

Also nice on the center hub covers. I was looking at something like those (those Ford ones?) last winter on my new accord. Never put anything on my 3, or on my 5.... those hubs are nice and rusty at this point and I should probably do something about it. Ended up going with a smaller chrome cover, and chromed vinyl caps for the open lugs. The caps were snap in, but I used VHB tape to mount them and cut the clips off since they sit flush.

Attachments

• 77985A8E-D770-4940-8165-81C08DEC40B8.jpeg
    77985A8E-D770-4940-8165-81C08DEC40B8.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Oof. Mazda 5 rear coil springs are about $50. CX7 ones are $100-150. Did you use the mounts from the Mazda 5, or buy CX7 ones?

Didn't notice any difference in the rear after the springs other than everything sitting a bit higher — probably a good 2 inches. And yeah, just a direct spring swap using existing Mazda5 mounts. I eventually upgraded the rear shocks to KYB gas-a-just (for Mazda5) just because the stock ones finally let go. Feels much better now. I bought the 30mm front spacers off eBay (some seller in Russia). They sit on top of the strut — pretty easy install.

And thanks regarding the center caps! Yeah, they're Ford/Mazda — specifically from the B-series pickup. Had to drill and tap some holes in the wheels to screw them in as they don't snap to the hub in any way. Pretty happy with them as I don't have money right now for some decent alloy wheels.

Didn't notice any difference in the rear after the springs other than everything sitting a bit higher — probably a good 2 inches. And yeah, just a direct spring swap using existing Mazda5 mounts. I eventually upgraded the rear shocks to KYB gas-a-just (for Mazda5) just because the stock ones finally let go. Feels much better now. I bought the 30mm front spacers off eBay (some seller in Russia). They sit on top of the strut — pretty easy install.

And thanks regarding the center caps! Yeah, they're Ford/Mazda — specifically from the B-series pickup. Had to drill and tap some holes in the wheels to screw them in as they don't snap to the hub in any way. Pretty happy with them as I don't have money right now for some decent alloy wheels.

nothing wrong with steelies. It’s nice to have a wheel that can flex a little with bumps. Plus they’re only like $80/wheel

I addressed this issue with our 5 a couple years back by replacing the stock rear coils with CX7 rear coils. They're the same diameter, but slightly taller.

Do you happen to know which springs you picked up? Seems there are about four part numbers across the years of CX7 with the newest being EG25-28-011H. Did you use the ones from the FWD, or AWD model? I don’t know that they’re actually different, but I assume the AWD model is heavier in the rear end and may have a beefier spring. Then again I know there are tons of things which want to differentiate by model or trim which make absolutely no difference in the end results.

Are they cylindrical/parallel, or tapered springs?

I’m at 91k on the original suspension, so assuming I swap these out this summer I’ll likely do the shocks and struts at the same time. My rear brakes are at 31k miles now (just replaced the fronts last month), so I need to take a look at their wear..... might as well replace everything that’s in the way while I’m taking things apart.

Maybe the right lowering springs for a CX-7 might give you the capacity and height you desire.

That’s an interesting point. The lowering kits I see for the CX7 claim a 1.4-1.6” drop..... that sounds like it would negate the 2” of rise AnthonyVerde said he got with the stock CX7 springs. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like you can buy just the rear lowering springs for the CX7, and would have to go with the entire thing...... which I don’t need on the front of the car. The front suspension on the Mz5 performs just fine.

And then I run across this. Closeout on H&R Sport Springs with a claimed 1.3” lowering on the CX7. $189. That’s more expensive than the helper air bags, but cheaper than new OE CX7 springs at $100/side, and potentially not as much of a height rise as the OE CX7 springs.

Thoughts?

E47CF1FB-72D4-4271-A8BB-E5006043C7AB.jpeg

Do you happen to know which springs you picked up? Seems there are about four part numbers across the years of CX7 with the newest being EG25-28-011H. Did you use the ones from the FWD, or AWD model? I don’t know that they’re actually different, but I assume the AWD model is heavier in the rear end and may have a beefier spring. Then again I know there are tons of things which want to differentiate by model or trim which make absolutely no difference in the end results.

Are they cylindrical/parallel, or tapered springs?

Yeah, I went with the coils from a 2012 CX7 AWD as the vehicle is heavier than the FWD (by a couple hundred pounds if I recall), so I figured the springs would be beefier. The springs are cylindrical — no tapering or anything. Like I said, I identical to the 5's springs, but taller.

So yeah! Hope you're able to find a solution. I imagine going with the lowering spring for the CX7 would be a great solution. Keep in mind the rear will probably ride a lot higher until the springs are able to settle a bit. But, might ride higher all around as they'll probably be much stiffer.

nothing wrong with steelies. It’s nice to have a wheel that can flex a little with bumps. Plus they’re only like $80/wheel

Agreed. The only downside is they rust up pretty quickly from the salty Canadian winters. I need to take a day this summer to sand down both all season and winter wheels and give them a coat of rust paint.

Yeah, I went with the coils from a 2012 CX7 AWD as the vehicle is heavier than the FWD (by a couple hundred pounds if I recall), so I figured the springs would be beefier. The springs are cylindrical — no tapering or anything. Like I said, I identical to the 5's springs, but taller.

Good point. The standard CX7 curb weight was about 500 lbs over the 5 (3,450 vs. 3900). The AWD curb weight was Another 100-200 lbs over that. Doesn’t look like there were any differences in the towing capacity of either one, so I’d assume the difference was in the extra weight.

I heard back from a Mazda online part retailer and the $100 is in fact per spring. I can’t seem to find aftermarket replacements (Moog, rockauto, etc) for it either.

So yeah! Hope you're able to find a solution. I imagine going with the lowering spring for the CX7 would be a great solution. Keep in mind the rear will probably ride a lot higher until the springs are able to settle a bit. But, might ride higher all around as they'll probably be much stiffer.

I expect lowering springs for a heavier car to ride higher than my stock springs. I’m just hoping they’d ride a littler lower than the 2” rise you describe when on the lighter car. It’s possible I’m looking at that the wrong way, and the stiffer shorter spring would actually ride higher. I haven’t lowered any cars or replaced anything with other than stock equivalent suspension parts. I really like the idea of the ass of the car not sagging down a bunch with weight. My two older kids ride in the third row seats all the time. That’s only a 100 or so pounds, but still.

Any idea if the H&R come with rubber mounts, or do they use the stock ones?

Alright, I’m biting the bullet and ordering the H&R CX-7 lowering springs. These are progressive, so hopefully they’ll provide a sort of normal ride, and then stiffen up as more stuff is added. I’ll report back once things get installed.

View attachment 224606

I just realized your roof rack appears to be mounted on rails which go the full length of the roofline. Is that a standard Canadian thing, or something you added? I haven’t seen anything like that in the states..... all roof racks just mount to the hardpoints along the side gutters.

H&R springs arrived today. New shocks will be a couple of more days at least, so not doing any install until at least the middle of the week. The rear coils measure in at 14” long.....do you happen to remember how long the stock Mz5 and CX-7 coils were?
F32FE232-2E43-4449-95F7-F344591E6242.jpeg

Back