Need help identifying replacement CX-5 engine

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring 2016.5
My wife has a 2016 CX-5 and while traveling home on a highway she struck an animal. The impact took out the AC condenser, radiator and most of the front grill. By the time the vehicle was able to safely pull over the engine over heated causing the engine to warp. This according to the shop where the repairs are being made. They are replacing the engine with a used engine with 45,000 miles, which is 55,000 miles less than what was on her 2.5L My concern is, are they replacing it with a 2.5L or the 2.0L.

Now to my question and reason for this post. Is there a physcial appearace difference between the two engines? Is there something that I can look for to tell if it's a 2.5L? Or is there any other way to be able to distinguish between the two different engines?

Thanks in advance!

You can check the engine serial number. Usually stamped on the block. Unless somebody removed it for nefarious purposes. :)

But most likely they would replace with the same engine type otherwise all kind of funky things may show up with the electronics...Unless they change that too.

By the way, don't you have full insurance? Kind of weird to put a second hand engine in considering this incident and the relatively new age of the car.

What does the shop say about the replacement engine? What was the original engine, 2.0 or 2.5? Why would the OP think the replacement engine is a different engine?

BTW this isn't a “new engine” install…

File with insurance. It is comprehensive not collision. They take care of everything including if the car is mechanically totaled. There could be way more damage than you think.

The insurance claim was filed under comprehensive which included zero deductable, free towing (50 miles) and a free rental car. Yeah I know, we'll see how much her rate goes up next time.

I'm assuming the reason for a used motor is the car is 5 some may argue 6 years old with just over 100,000 miles. Again, the replacement motor has 55,000 less miles than the original 2.5L. Also, (not mentioned before) this replacement motor has a 5 year warranty and the "shop" where the repairs and engine swap was done said they have a life time warranty on their services.

I have not been in contact with shop or should I say their liaison who was in contact with my wife during the entire process. I would give her questions to ask concerning the repairs, but only a few were actually asked. Gotta love her.

Again I'm assuming and would expect that they would replace a 2.5L with a 2.5L, but only wanted to know if by casually looking at the engine could you see a difference. I guess checking the serial number on the block (which I sure is there and not removed for nefarious purposes) is indeed the way to make sure. This I want to know for myself rather than relying on what someone tells me.

Thank you for the replys.

I would say with the info you provided that you have nothing to worry about and are in good hands. They go by the VIN number for all components including engine and they would not put in a smaller 2.0 liter if your car came with the 2.5. Everything they are doing should be clearly listed on a repair order and invoice for all work performed, including all parts replaced, line by line. Your insurance is footing the bill and anything less would be fraud. Just make sure the place looks for and finds any little thing that needs to be replaced body wise upon disassembly and nothing is left unrepaired with damaged parts. The fact they are giving you that long a warranty sounds like they know what they are doing and you are in good hands.

Go to a mazda dealer and look at a 2.0 and a 2.5. The 2.5 has a balance shaft and the 2.0 does not and the 2.0 is smaller. I think you will see spacing difference around the engines and likely the fan belt side of the engine will be different.

⋯ Now to my question and reason for this post. Is there a physcial appearace difference between the two engines? Is there something
2013A1E1-013D-436B-A17F-699E21E7B68A.jpeg
that I can look for to tell if it's a 2.5L? Or is there any other way to be able to distinguish between the two different engines?
There’re some physical differences between SkyActiv-G 2.0L and 2.5L like GAXIBM mentioned above. Of course to be 100% sure, you want to check engine type / serial number stamped on the engine block.

2013A1E1-013D-436B-A17F-699E21E7B68A.jpeg

@yrwei52, thank you for the illustrations showing the difference between the two engines. To bring all up to date, I was given the VIN for the engine which showed it came from a 2018 CX-5 and it is indeed a 2.5L.

Thanks to all for their input and ideas.

@yrwei52, thank you for the illustrations showing the difference between the two engines. To bring all up to date, I was given the VIN for the engine which showed it came from a 2018 CX-5 and it is indeed a 2.5L.

Thanks to all for their input and ideas.
Wow, that opens up a can of worms!

The 2.5L in 2018 CX-5 has cylinder deactivation but your 2016 CX-5 doesn’t. There’re so many modifications in so many components not only on engine itself, but also on transmission even on catalytic converter! PCM and TCM are different too. There have been several recalls、Service Alerts、and TSBs for CD-equipped engine and transmission. Not to mention the potential long-term reliability issues based on history of cylinder deactivation. I’d be very concerned on compatibility issues to fit a 2.5L from 2018 CX-5 into a 2016 CX-5.

My bad, typo. Should have proof read before I hit post reply. Or waited until I got home and used my desktop computer. It should have read 2016.

Back