need help asap!! water pump

Spiced MSP

:
2016 Peterbilt 579
Ok, I am replacing my water pump and so far I have removed 5 bolts from the pump. As far as I know, there are only 5 bolts that hold the pump onto the block. But for some reason, I can't get the pump to come off at all. Is it just suction from the pump that is holding it on or am I missing something? Also, Im going to do the timing belt as well. When you take the crank pulley off, if that notch on the crank is pointing directly up, does that symbolize TDC?

There is a gasket between the water pump and the block that will usually form a pretty good bond over the years. IIRC, there is a spot towards the front of the motor that is specifically designed as a point you can pry on without causing any damage. I think it may be pointed out in the service manual... if you're really stumped I can dig it out and try and be more specific.

As to the crank, the mark on the pulley is supposed to line up with an indicator on the block to line up at TDC. If you're looking at the pulley, I want to say the marking goes at about 10 o'clock. You can also (carefully!) drop a long screwdriver or something into the #1 cylinder and slowly rotate the crank to get a general idea where TDC is.

think I figured it out, there is a sixth bolt that holds that silver pulley on

edit: ok, I got that sixth bolt out and got the water pump off. Will be putting everything back together tomorrow with a new pump and timing belt. I looked at the pump and the impeller or whatever it's called is in great shape and there isn't any play in it at all. Would it still be bad?

Last edited:
Back