Navigation question for 2021 Mazda CX-5

The actual map files are on the SD card. Keep it in the slot, this is how the NAV reads and displays the map.There is no programming needed.

So the difference between the CX-5 and CX-9 is that the latter put a small memory chip into it's electronics to hold the maps. The former just couldn't see that far ahead, thinking most people will never care if there's updates.

I have no idea, but could it be that it copies maps to internal storage on first use, or at least indexes them, and requires SD card to be inserted just to make sure it's there?

So the difference between the CX-5 and CX-9 is that the latter put a small memory chip into it's electronics to hold the maps. The former just couldn't see that far ahead, thinking most people will never care if there's updates.

And how does the CX-9 get updates to the maps?

The SD card is basically a flash drive that the software reads to produce the route. I think some speed limit info is contained in the mapping data for instances when a speed limit sign is not identified on a road.

The SD card has to be there for the NAV to work. If you take the card out, the info system will deactivate the NAV function.
As for updates, you need to download the Mazda Toolbox app to your laptop or desktop computer and then insert the SD card into said computer.
The app will read the card, determine the version you are running and when you last did an update.
It will also tell you if you are eligible for the latest map update.
Mazda gives you 3 years of free updates. After that, you have to pay for the next 3 years worth of updates.

The SD card has to be there for the NAV to work. If you take the card out, the info system will deactivate the NAV function.
As for updates, you need to download the Mazda Toolbox app to your laptop or desktop computer and then insert the SD card into said computer.
The app will read the card, determine the version you are running and when you last did an update.
It will also tell you if you are eligible for the latest map update.
Mazda gives you 3 years of free updates. After that, you have to pay for the next 3 years worth of updates.
I think we understand the update part. It was suggested that the last gen CX-9 had a different system without an SD card a few posts above. I seriously doubt this is true as all the recent Mazda infotainment systems with Nav use an SD card. Even the new CX-90 uses an SD card, so this pretty much confirms the CX-9 also uses one...

Latest posts

Back