NAV safety lock with voice commands to be fixed?

It is not fixed, although they have acknowledged the issue, but it seems like they might not be now. I will believe it when I see it. IMHO, the nav, as is currently, creates a dangerous situation. If I am moving and inputting a destination, I have to do it before I stop, because if I stop and the safety lock disengages, the input is lost. If I am using voice input at a stop and start driving, the input is lost because of the safety lock engaging. If I am entering voice at a stop, there is no reason that input should be interrupted when I start driving as voice input is allowed when driving. If I was programming this, it is pretty much a state based transition problem. It would be so easy to map it out with a grid and do it right. Oh well. I don't use the nav that much.

+1 Well stated!

Mine tells my Voice control not available in country selected (USA)

Since she doesn't understand half the numbers when I ask her to dial I wouldn't think of using voice control for nav input.

Ran all updates in my 2014, Safety lock still engages. Couple updates were added, but not the one I wanted most.

FYI, I don't see any updates since May anyway. 10.817 is still the latest Map OS. 910 from May is still latest maps. 10.818 could have the fix.

I just downloaded 10.851. I may have big news. I believe the hands free safety lock feature has been fixed. I ran a test. While stopped i pushed the on screen microphone button and spoke "drive to an address". As I was prompted for the a dress I started driving and was not kicked out due to the safety lock. I did witness the "safety lock enabled" on screen, but I was never kicked out to the map screen. It may be fixed.

I just downloaded 10.851. I may have big news. I believe the hands free safety lock feature has been fixed. I ran a test. While stopped i pushed the on screen microphone button and spoke "drive to an address". As I was prompted for the a dress I started driving and was not kicked out due to the safety lock. I did witness the "safety lock enabled" on screen, but I was never kicked out to the map screen. It may be fixed.

CONFIRMED!
Voice commands still work while driving/stop/driving, also when inputting via the screen while stopped then driving, it does NOT clear out so you can continue typing after you stop, also u can do a general direction too, it'll lock u out of inputting more info but you can tap a st or city that the last screen is on and it'll navigate.

Very nice!

No official Changelog has been posted yet, just the older 10.850
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420/locale/en_us

About time. Can't tell you how many times I have contemplated about punching the headunit when it locks up.

10.851 Listed Changes

I just downloaded 10.851. I may have big news. I believe the hands free safety lock feature has been fixed. I ran a test... It may be fixed.

Indeed, TomTom website lists these changes for 10.851!
Version 10.851
(Mazda Navigation System NB1)
We have improved the functionality of the safety lock.
Zoom options are now available in the Location Preview screen.
This release fixes an issue where you may be shown a blue screen.
This release fixes a GPS firmware update issue.
This release fixes an issue where you may have been unintentionally returned to the audio screen.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420/related/1

Anybody notice it says Safety Lock each time you stop and start in traffic? Minor annoyance. Still way better than getting kicked out.

With these fixes should I consider adding the NAV to my screen? I've been thinking of going with an aftermarket HU after all the NAV complaints on here, but if they are addressing the concerns this would be the easiest option I would think.

With these fixes should I consider adding the NAV to my screen? I've been thinking of going with an aftermarket HU after all the NAV complaints on here, but if they are addressing the concerns this would be the easiest option I would think.

Ditto. Would also be interested in hearing input on GPS with these improvements.

Did this update the other night, but was having delays because my hard drive was too full for the download (temp files). Anyway, got me thinking, what would have happened if I'd had an emergency and had to go somewhere while the update was still going on, meaning I would have driven the car without the memory card in the dash. I assume the Nav wouldn't work, but would that be it?

Did this update the other night, but was having delays because my hard drive was too full for the download (temp files). Anyway, got me thinking, what would have happened if I'd had an emergency and had to go somewhere while the update was still going on, meaning I would have driven the car without the memory card in the dash. I assume the Nav wouldn't work, but would that be it?

Yes that would be it, your car will still work without the NAV card the only thing missing is NAV the head unit operates normally otherwise.

The new version is a great improvement in stop and go traffic if you use the screen for data input as it keeps the screen and data you are on until you stop again and can continue the data input for address/POI name search and no longer have to start over with entering the city/zip etc. It claims an improvement in voice input but I have never used voice so can not comment.

Back