MZ5 Baseline Dyno (MZ3 2.3L also)

phunky.buddha

Booga Booga?
:
DFW TX
:
No mo MZ5 want MX5
So while I was in the shop today resetting the ride height of my BC Coilovers which I still owe this forum the full writeup on, I figured I'd throw the 5 on the dyno for fun.

mz5_dyno_m_1.jpg

mz5_dyno_m_2.jpg

Here are the charts. The first run had the best power measurement (coldest engine run), but I forgot to shut the AC off- you can see where the compressor kicked on and off during the run... and I thought they were normally supposed to off at full throttle. :( You can see the power going down as the runs go on- the engine was starting to get heat soaked a bit, but repeated a few runs right at 140whp.

mz5_baseline_all.jpg

I sprayed the intake manifold with water to cool it down some and waited about 15 minutes before running again:

mz5_baseline.jpg

Not bad. 143whp/141wtq is really healthy for a 70k mile engine, especially since the published factory power figures are only supposed to be 153hp/148lbft at the crank. We (at the shop) usually figure in 17% for driveline loss on a manual 2wd car, so this would put my crank figures at 172hp/170lbft. Even at a more aggressive 15% that puts me at 168/166.

Drivetrain is totally stock @ 70k miles (2009 model) except for a drop in K&N filter (I won't accept that it adds any power) and Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil. Wheel are 2010 MX-5 (17x7 +50) and tires are 215/50-15. I just thought I'd post it up as a data point for any of you that might find it useful.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like the forum resizes images without telling you that it does it- right click and "view image" to see the graphs in their original resolution.

Looks good but too good to be true (I hope I'm wrong). There's an old member who dyno'ed a '07 and had something in the low 100s, which seem about right. The results are the exact opposite in that it show a lot of parasitic loss from the drivetrain. This was done on a mustang dyno in Colorado at the end of October (high elevation+cold temps). The drop iff look alike but this had a more drastic tq drop curve than yous. We need a 3rd opinion for a tie beaker, lol. The Mz3 dynos seem more intune with lower output. I think if this car did output 140 at the wheel, it wouldn't be this slow. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: The other dyno
2007Mazda5_StockDynoGraph.jpg
2007Mazda5_StockDynoResults.jpg

Last edited:
Mustangs typically read a good bit lower than Dynojets, but I don't think by THAT much. I typically hear 20-25% under vs the Dynojet. The elevation shouldn't have mattered with the correction factor, but maybe it wasn't set up correctly? I've been using this dyno for literally a decade, and it's always measured right on the money. My S2000 comes out right up against what other people baseline at, actually a bit lower... so I know this dyno reads well.

Very nice! Looks like Mazda's HP and TQ ratings are under rated.
I don't think Mazda has the engineering chops to pull that off. They (among others) were caught overrating their hp figures in the early 2000s. I recall the NB Miata, RX8, and I think Mazda6 also (can't recall exactly on the 6). Anything is possible with the Mazda3/5 but a 3rd tie breaker would be nice by this is will a hard baseline to go off of since the two we have are polar opposites (type or dyno, location, heat, etc.). Still, good to see some numbers.

I don't think Mazda has the engineering chops to pull that off. They (among others) were caught overrating their hp figures in the early 2000s. I recall the NB Miata, RX8, and I think Mazda6 also (can't recall exactly on the 6). Anything is possible with the Mazda3/5 but a 3rd tie breaker would be nice by this is will a hard baseline to go off of since the two we have are polar opposites (type or dyno, location, heat, etc.). Still, good to see some numbers.

At least one of those ratings disputes were from Mazda misquoting the Euro spec (or J-spec, forget which) power figures when the US-spec car was less powerful because of additional emissions equipment- so it wasn't a case of the car not meeting design specifications, more the PR and advertising teams that screwed up.

Just to show that this dyno isn't inflating power figures, here are some of my other stock measurements for comparison on the exact same dyno with the exact same calibration / configuration:

frontier_dyno_m_1.jpg

frontier_baseline.jpg

Supposed to be 261hp crank, so this engine runs strong too- but that's confirmed through quite a few other Frontier / VQ40 engine dynos in stock form.

s2k_on_dyno_noplate_med.jpg

s2k_dyno_graph_stock.jpg

Supposed to be 240 crank, so this is on the low side.

Oh crap, and I just realized- different correction factor. And apparently, SAE = STD x .974, so the SAE correction factor to match up to the other two dynos would be: 188whp/126wtq. Kinda disappointing.

Last edited:
very nice, and a good base line. i'm posting here, just because i want to keep the link in my folders :D

any performance mods in the pipeline? ;)

very nice, and a good base line. i'm posting here, just because i want to keep the link in my folders :D

any performance mods in the pipeline? ;)

I'd like to turbocharge... actually have a turbo, injectors and intercooler that would fit well with this engine. We'll see. :) As far as what's already done, it has BC Coilovers on it, Topspeed rear camber arms, Miata 17s, and 215/50 tires. It'll get a custom carPC stereo in the near future to manage 4-5 screens, but that's not a performance mod. ;)

I'd like to turbocharge... actually have a turbo, injectors and intercooler that would fit well with this engine. We'll see. :) As far as what's already done, it has BC Coilovers on it, Topspeed rear camber arms, Miata 17s, and 215/50 tires. It'll get a custom carPC stereo in the near future to manage 4-5 screens, but that's not a performance mod. ;)

i know about your coilovers, and i want to get a set for the wife's car. alas, she said i have to wait for the stock struts to blow out first. would also LOVE to get a set of miata rims, since they are, what, half the weight of the stockers?! nice choice there, too.

the turbo would be the kicker, and would really transform the car :D

i know about your coilovers, and i want to get a set for the wife's car. alas, she said i have to wait for the stock struts to blow out first. would also LOVE to get a set of miata rims, since they are, what, half the weight of the stockers?! nice choice there, too.

the turbo would be the kicker, and would really transform the car :D

Thanks! I got lucky on the wheels... they are lighter, supposedly 17 pounds for just the wheel, but I haven't measured yet. I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'll cram 235/45 tires in all around without modifying my fender lips.

Boooooooooost would be a lot of fun in this car.

yes, the mx5 wheels are 16-17 lbs without tires. that alone makes a great difference in handling and response. the stock mazda5 17's are boat anchors in comparison. good find.

Thanks! I'll try to weigh everything without tires if I get the chance. I might have to stand in Discount Tire with a digital bathroom scale or something. :)

Hmm. The one in the import tuner article was an automatic. Was the 2007 posted earlier? Maybe the automatic sucks that much more life out of the power going to the ground? Or maybe it has a different ECU program? Time to make some friends over at Mazda engineering...

I don't have any technical numbers to back my statement up, but I used to own a 2006 Mazda5 automatic before I bought my current 2006 Mazda5 manual trans. I can certainly confirm and attest that my current Mazda5 manual is way peppier and quicker then my old automatic one. The auto felt lethargic and I honestly think the auto tranny bogs down the potential of the MZR23.

Good to know. Thanks Davicho! It would be cool if you were able to dyno them back to back, but I know that's not possible now. ;)

Hmm. The one in the import tuner article was an automatic. Was the 2007 posted earlier? Maybe the automatic sucks that much more life out of the power going to the ground? Or maybe it has a different ECU program? Time to make some friends over at Mazda engineering...
happen to come across the post for the 2007 so figure I link it here. It was a 5 speed.

Post #39. Owner also questions the results of the run.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123779612-Highest-HP-5

Last edited:
Back