Accessory ports are intermittently cutting power

rednakes

:
2012 Mazda 5 GT
I’ve been having an issue lately with the accessory ports on my 2012 Mazda 5 GT when using them for powering my devices. For example my dash cam goes in an off/on loop every few seconds, and my phone shows the charge icon on and off every couple seconds. The flakiness is happening at both accessory ports, at the front and rear of the car. I changed the car USB charger and the cables, tried another phone and even changed out both 15-amp fuses but they didn’t make a difference.

Is there anything else I should be looking at inside the car that’s feeding these two ports? I don’t think it’s the ports' contact points because the issue started at the same time for both ports.

One possible reason is that I had my ABS module replaced over a week ago, which I think is hidden behind the battery, so maybe something got disrupted while the mechanic was working on it, and now I have a loose connection to the ports. I'm planning on booking an appointment soon but I just want to make sure I've tried everything on my own first.

All the ports inthe Mazda 5 and Mazda 3 have gone flaky and they've all been the contacts in the port. Various fixes like tin foil glued in the bottom, and tape around the usb adapters, etc have been done to make them work reliably.

If they start to be an issue again I'm going to just hard solder a USB adapter in. They are just crappy ports.

I found what the problem was, somehow my main charger had simply stopped functioning properly. Additionally, my spare charger also died at the same time - I had last used it in another car over month ago and it had been fine.

I can’t explain why this happened but I tried two other chargers into both accessory sockets and they’re working fine.

Back