My new MAF setup + extra pictures

I tried to get DSMconvert to make me a MAF setup like this from his hardpipes, but I guess at the time he was busy developing the AFC's. I got tired of nagging him about it and gave up.

peepsalot said:
I tried to get DSMconvert to make me a MAF setup like this from his hardpipes, but I guess at the time he was busy developing the AFC's. I got tired of nagging him about it and gave up.

In the future he might do some work with this. Possibly making a MAP setup for the MSP. This would be compatible with the AFC, and get rid of the MAF setup.

CasopoliS said:
In the future he might do some work with this. Possibly making a MAP setup for the MSP. This would be compatible with the AFC, and get rid of the MAF setup.
I wonder what that would involve. I mean, the AFC already has a MAP builtin. Would it just be a software change?

MetalSpeed said:
CASPOLIS,
So your doing the dual setup right.(BPV,BOV)

Yes, I am going to scrap the BPV soon just to see how it drives. I think I have little to no lag in shifting because of this valve though. We will see.

As soon as you give gas after shifting the BOV closes shut because of the boost in the line going to it. Therefore you have no extra air escaping.

CustomMSP said:
As soon as you give gas after shifting the BOV closes shut because of the boost in the line going to it. Therefore you have no extra air escaping.

So are you saying the BPV doesn't help with any sort of performance?

CustomMSP said:

what you mean? does the MSP BPV leaks under boost?

CasopoliS said:
So are you saying the BPV doesn't help with any sort of performance?

I highly doubt...if anything it makes it worse, because over the weekend I've discovered that MY stock BPV leaks under partial throttle.

igdrasil said:
what you mean? does the MSP BPV leaks under boost?

I know for a fact that MY stock BPV does leak under partial throttle. I'm not sure if it leaks under WOT, but probably does at higher boost.

I have the Boost Sciences Reflex BPV. You still think it is not good to have this within my setup? I know it is not needed for funtionality, but ideally you have to recirc some air for low boost applications. I would love to recirc it all acually, but I hated the way it drove like that. It always drives better with dual valves and even better with the MAF movement, but I have no idea why.

CasopoliS said:
I have the Boost Sciences Reflex BPV. You still think it is not good to have this within my setup? I know it is not needed for funtionality, but ideally you have to recirc some air for low boost applications. I would love to recirc it all acually, but I hated the way it drove like that. It always drives better with dual valves and even better with the MAF movement, but I have no idea why.

Its a MAF issue and its placement. I have even seen that moving the maf will also help with the turkey issue.

CasopoliS said:

With were your maf is right now you have no need for the dual setup, I'm about 99.9% sure :) But it could be more work to plug that extra nipple up if you remove the BPV.

I was running some experiments over the weekend with a few IC setups and blew off the cold pipe at the IC while boosting like 7psi. The backfired so hard and loud I thought my engine blew! I was able to drive the car fine with the pipe blown off home because of where the maf is.

igdrasil said:
Its a MAF issue and its placement. I have even seen that moving the maf will also help with the turkey issue.

I am going to try full recirc, then vent only (opposites) and note the differences. Just to toy around some ... I will never know what my final setup will be its changed so much.

I was running some experiments over the weekend with a few IC setups and blew off the cold pipe at the IC while boosting like 7psi. The backfired so hard and loud I thought my engine blew! I was able to drive the car fine with the pipe blown off home because of where the maf is.

i hear ya, i took off my ic to TB hardpipe + maf and put the stock back in last night cause i am still experimenting with pipe lengths. this morning on my way to work I was doing about 110km/h and downshifted to 4th and went maybe 80% throttle, boost hit maybe 7-8psi for about 5 seconds and then the pipe blew off so loud i thought I threw a rod lol and the backfire was crazy. imediate stall so i shifted back into 5th and let out the clutch/ the motor started up but sure didnt like a missing hard pipe, i limped her to the side of the expressway. i was sooo happy to see my motor intact and soooo dissapointed to realize that I left my emergency ratchet and tools at home lol so i disconnected the maf and limped the rest of the commute to work running no ic-tb pipe

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your adventure. I had a quick question though. Since the fan comes on and hit the airbox/cone with hot air, making it stumble/idle poor.

Are people with CAI having better idle? i was thinking of making an extension from the stock MAS position to inside the wheelwell to try and fix that problem.

All Boost said:
Sorry to hear about your adventure. I had a quick question though. Since the fan comes on and hit the airbox/cone with hot air, making it stumble/idle poor.

Are people with CAI having better idle? i was thinking of making an extension from the stock MAS position to inside the wheelwell to try and fix that problem.
I had my intake setup as SRI until recently. I switched it to CAI and that is how I am running now. I had idle problems before and they seem to be about the same now. No noticable difference in idling between either setup.

I did the reverse, went from CAI to SRI. No idle change. Of course my MAF moved as well.... crap ..... well there is a Natty Light to Sam Adams comparison for you.

Ok guys, I am sold. I got my hands on some 2.75 to 2 reducers. The only thing left is, that the easiest place to put the maf is about 6 inches away from the TB just after a 90 bend. Is that too close? I could move further away but that would mean extra cutting and painting:(

genius said:
Ok guys, I am sold. I got my hands on some 2.75 to 2 reducers. The only thing left is, that the easiest place to put the maf is about 6 inches away from the TB just after a 90 bend. Is that too close? I could move further away but that would mean extra cutting and painting:(

I think close is ok... there are a few including myself that have it close. As long as the reducers fit both the MAF and harpipes, then you are ok. Check this first!!!!

EDIT: and make sure you have something to replace the MAF location. If you have an aftermarket intake, it just means you have to move the filter closer.

Back