My MSP is SLOW as hell!

tybrenis

:
2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Hey guys,

First let me start by listing my mods. I have a 2.5" cat-less exhaust system, a short ram intake, a front mount intercooler, and a relocated MAF with greddy type S blow off valve. These mods have not really affected the hesitation - I thought perhaps they would.

Whenever I really step on the gas, my car sucks a whole ton of air in (SRI rushing with air) and I can see my boost gauge reading up to about 8 PSI. The car gets loud as hell then does 0-60 in maybe 8 or 9 seconds. Honestly it feels like it is this slow. Perhaps it isn't that bad, but it doesn't feel like a car with this kind of work done to it should feel like.

After I drive my buddy's MS3, when I drive my car it feels like its a fricken dump truck or something it is so slow.

I think I all ready know the answer to my problem, as I am a frequent forum reader and have read a lot about hesitation and the problem with running too rich. Will the SSAFC solve this problem? I'm tired of being frustrated with this SLOW SLOW car.

Thanks guys!

SSAFC surely won't hurt... but before you tune it you need to make sure there aren't other issues.

Any suggestions for other issues that could cause this awful hesitation? The car respinds well to half throttle, but at that rate is quick but not very fast... is this simply a SLOW car?

Definitely not - I come from a miata background, lol. Still though - it just doesnt seem right. Maybe I can make a video showing it. The car seems to be trying so hard... its like a kid trying to run at a bully with him holding his head back... its trying, the turbo is squealing and the car is boosting but its not quick enough to even jerk your head back a little bit...

I know exactly what you mean, car makes more of like a whawe sound and feels like the power is getting choked out, also the car runs faster when it's cold right? I had almost the same mods and then I added a ssafc and it got waaaaay better. Get one you'll love it.

try lifting off the throttle just slightly, so about 80% down.
if your running rich that will take some fuel away, making it faster. helps my car a bit.

Also if you ease into the gas instead of punching it, it seems to help. (until you get a ssafc) :)

Mashing the accelerator is the wrong way to go with these cars. Where does the boost hold at in 3rd gear, psi? Strange that you don't feel the torque under boost pushing you back in the seat.

SSafc will help with the hesitation. Unfortunately it wont take the hesiation away completely. Ull feel it a bit but not ass bad as stock. Also, getting it properly tuned is key.

any cel's.......i had a problem with my boost solenoid, i had broken the nipple off of it and the ecu would retard the hell out of the timing. you could hear the turbo but no pull otherwise.

any cel's.......i had a problem with my boost solenoid, i had broken the nipple off of it and the ecu would retard the hell out of the timing. you could hear the turbo but no pull otherwise.

Nope, no CEL's..

check for boost leaks

It's definitely not a boost leak, the car is boosting just not going anywhere in a hurry. I've had a boost leak before and that made the car even slower, of course.

do you have an afr gauge?

I don't - can anyone recommend one that is accurate but not a ton of money? I'm moving across the country for college soon and am saving all the money that I can right now.

look around for a used AEM, it would probably be 150-200 but thats about the same price as a BFN gauge thats not as widely used (prosport, e.g.)

could also be plugs, coilpacks, or even your MAF. what mileage does the car have?? if your plugs or coils are original it might be time to change them out, these cars have coils that dont last very longs, also with the mods you have should look at getting colder plugs if you havent yet...kind of going through the same problem and am in the process of figuring out what it is....

Back