My Greddy Type S HELP

jay32m

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
Since installing the PG fmic my greddy type s does not sound anything like it used to. It now sounds like an RS which is not what I want. They type s is suppose to sound like a whistle but hasn't since I put it on my fmic. I have double checked everything and everything is tight as can be. When under full boost it spikes 16-17 and settles to 15 and the car flys but sound like either compressor surge or an RS when I let off. I have adjusted the bov from the hardest setting to softest and can't get it to sound normal. Any ideas? I think maybe it has to do with the 90 degree pvc elbow that we have to install to make it recirculate? I let it vta and it then sounds normal but of course I back fire and buck lol.

from audi site....

wow im surprised no one could figure this one out for you... LOL ANYWAYS, what you have to do is just run that vacuum line to the top nipple AND you MUST also run a NON Vacuum BUT boosted source to the lower nipple and it will whistle very nicely. I had 2 Type S valves and did the troubleshooting for you have fun, it is a great valve.

took that from a vw site...

and after some more reading they claim it has to do with the diamater(sp?) of the pipe (the recirc pipe leading to the flange)that it has to do with it changing sound. might be right if you look at the stock hole and this hole or the greddy hole.... dont know they said you can weld a greddy flange (which has a much bigger hole in it). but if its just the noise i wouldnt worry if it works.

Last edited:
i will see what i can do bro:) how many springs are you using?

I am only using 1 spring. I did notice at idle I am seeing -19 now and not -20 when I had the stock tmic. I can't remember exactly what it was suppose to read at idle, was it -20?

I know the function is what really matter and that also concerns me bc like I said sometimes it gives it a wooosh wooosh like its compressor surge but I love the type S sound and I miss it since installing my fmic :(

Yeah it's supposed to read lower (higher?) at idle. I believe more than 20 in vac. So your valve must be leaking somehow... Unless you are getting some type of leak from the piping of the FMIC system. Just go back and double check everything. My Type S whistles like a songbird.

Your bov shouldn't affect your manifold vac readings with the throttle closed at idle. It never did on mine, anyway. If you're hearing a surging sound, then it's compressor surge. The RS shouldn't sound like compressor surge either, the one I had didn't once it was set properly. My RS and S sounded the same on my DSM. Even the ebay POS "type-S" sounded the same as those two. You can either hook it up with the manifold vacuum line hooked to the top hat alone, or you can hook it up with the manifold vacuum to the top and an IC pipe boost line hooked to the bottom. The second setup requires you to run a "harder" adjustment, but overall works better. The second setup is actually the way the valve was designed to be hooked up (IMHO).

I prefer the stock BOV. It lets me be sneaky.

try changing the material of that pvc elbow. I dont know if you can find a copper fitting but it sounds like that may be suppressing the sound.

Yea I really think it's the pvc elbow as well. My friend has a jetta and when he made his custom fmic he had to do a pvc elbow and it took away the sound as well. When he didn't recirc it it came to life. I think it also has to do with how there is a 90 degreen bend in the pipe as well not allowing the air to pass through as quickly or smoothly as before. I have been looking for a hose that you can bend but won't kink. An auto parts store has one with a metal coil in it but I don't think I can cut it to fit.

Back