2021 Mazda CX-5 whine under acceleration

I recently purchased a used 2021 Mazda CX-5 Touring (no turbo) with 45k miles on it. The car came with a certified pre-owned warranty. I was driving it this weekend and noticed a whine, whirring, or higher pitched sound (hard to describe but see video) when accelerating. When I let my foot off the gas the sound stops and you can hear it stuttering on and off towards the end of the video as I let off the gas and slightly press it again. The sound grows in intensity with speed but is also present, but fainter at lower speeds.

I did try and increase the RPMs with the car in park. I could not hear the sound at all when I did this.

Also, this sound is separate from the high pitched whistle that kicks in around 50+mph, which I also have.

Any ideas what this could be? I sent this video to the dealer and so far they said all cars have sounds. I requested they check it out anyways and will be dropping off soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I recently purchased a used 2021 Mazda CX-5 Touring (no turbo) with 45k miles on it.

Any ideas what this could be? I sent this video to the dealer and so far they said all cars have sounds. I requested they check it out anyways and will be dropping off soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hopefully you can be there while they check it out and you can ride along for the test drive to verify the issue. If you have a dashcam, ensure that it's running to record the entire time the car is at the dealership. And be sure to record the exact mileage that they get dropped off at.

It might seem excessive, but it's what I would do if I had to deal with a service rep who says "all cars have sounds" when I'm trying to troubleshoot a noise that concerns me. That same rep might tell the tech to just do a lap around the parking lot or let the car sit ignored on the lift for 2 hours.

I know our 2018 cx5 had this when it was cold out right after first starting it but then resolved as the car warmed up (or at least was less noticeable)

Good advice and thanks for the tips.

It has been cold, but this noise remains for our car even after it’s been warmed up.

There's been a number of threads on Reddit with folks who have had a whine in the car when moving and a few have had their transmission replaced right around that 45K mark. I'd push harder at the dealership.

Back