Mx-6 problem

Since i've had my mx6, whenever I drive on the interstate my car goes dead around 65 to 70 mph. I heard from a friend that it may be the fuel pump, but im not sure. Anyone had any similar experiences?

could definetely be a fuel issue but i think more info is needed for any real diagnosis

Its not the fpr. It has to do with the fuel pump. Does the "Fuel Cut" light come on? You might be able to reset it. There is a button located on the driverside rear fender in the trunk, (well, thats were it was on my Probe) If its popped up, push it back down. I have heard of this happening quit a few times. Hope this helps

Ian

4drboost said:
Its not the fpr. It has to do with the fuel pump. Does the "Fuel Cut" light come on? You might be able to reset it. There is a button located on the driverside rear fender in the trunk, (well, thats were it was on my Probe) If its popped up, push it back down. I have heard of this happening quit a few times. Hope this helps

Ian

is this behind a cover on the probe?
I have 1993 2.oL probe

the fuel cut that he is referring to is located in the trunk on the driver's side. Remove the left side trunk panel it will be on the lowwer portion of the trunk. It will be like a black box shape thing with a red buttom. But this fuel cut would own be activated if the car was in a wreck or something else major happened and it would cut off the fuel pump. The engine would never turn over if this fuel cut is enabled. Mid rpm stumble could be a number of things. Could be an ing problem like bad, wires, plugs, disty, or cap. The fuel system maybe to blame also like the fuel pump is on its last leg, the fuel pump may need replacement, or the fpr is not operating right. Trouble shooting should start like this, ing-fuel-compression....

Originally Posted by MR.???
is this behind a cover on the probe?
I have 1993 2.oL probe

you dont have to do all that, just pick the carpet up a little bit and you can see it.

If the fuel cut switch were tripped, the car wouldn't run at all.

I'm willing to bet it's ignition. Check the distributor cap and rotor.

To elimate fuel supply as a problem source, temporarily install a pressure guage on the fuel line. Insert a 'T' inline on the supply line to the fuel rail. Then attach a 4-5 foot hose to the "leg" of the T with a pressure guage on the end. Route it through the cowl and tape it to the windshield. Observe the fuel pressure through the entire RPM band and compare that to the reading during the stumbling.

s*** to check fp, just undo the fuel supply line off of the fpr. It should shot fuel cause it should be under pressure. And yes, if the fuel safety cut was on it would kill the engine and not allow it to start again until it was reset.

Titanium said:
s*** to check fp, just undo the fuel supply line off of the fpr. It should shot fuel cause it should be under pressure. And yes, if the fuel safety cut was on it would kill the engine and not allow it to start again until it was reset.

That's probably not the best way to check pressure. Not to mention, if it's an older MX-6 with a VAM, the fuel pump will not run unless the car is cranking or running. There is a fuel pump cut-off switch inside of the VAM that is open when there is no air flow.

if it is a 93 or order and yes there will be pressure in the line on or off. I owned a 93 2.0 probe for 6yrs. To releave the pressure in the fuel system, you have to remove the fuel pump relay and turn the car on till and run it till it dies. Then crank the engine up to 4 times to ensure that all the fuel has been used in the lines. I did this, just the away the hanse manual told me and the line still had some fuel in it and it shot all over me and my engine, lol!! Come to think of it, I had a similar problem with my old 2.0L and changed the fuel filter and it did the trick.

Titanium said:
if it is a 93 or order and yes there will be pressure in the line on or off. I owned a 93 2.0 probe for 6yrs. To releave the pressure in the fuel system, you have to remove the fuel pump relay and turn the car on till and run it till it dies. Then crank the engine up to 4 times to ensure that all the fuel has been used in the lines. I did this, just the away the hanse manual told me and the line still had some fuel in it and it shot all over me and my engine, lol!! Come to think of it, I had a similar problem with my old 2.0L and changed the fuel filter and it did the trick.

I should have clarified. I meant the first gen 2.2L MX6s.

Back