mp3 vs base protege

The steering is different. Mazda was advertising it themselves as a "closer ratio steering" over the ES. And, the clutch is different as well. Most people still don't know that.

i wasnt calling anyone a liar or anything...i was just unaware of it.

here IS proof though...stumbled upon it while searching for sport-20 badges (and no, not for me)

http://www.grmotorsports.com/mazdamp3.html

as quoted:

"While not an aftermarket part, the MP3 shares its steering gear with the European-spec Proteg and features a 15.4:1 ratio. (The standard Proteg ratio is 15.0:1.)"

you learn something new every day.

Since someone brought up the LSD, I thought I'd point out that quaife already has a limited slip available for the protege. It's about $1200 and you can get it through mazdamotorsports.com I would love to have one, but it not something I need right now.

hey fellows don't always believe what is written in mags and articles. the only diff in the mp3 and pro mechanically is ecu, exhaust, and supension parts. that is it! no other parts, no special sterring racks no trick intakes, no different final gear set, nothing else.

Who cares what steering rack we have, just as long as it works. Strange thing is that I read in a few different reliable sources that the MP3 has a special steering column. They didn't say it was different from the base ES though. The reason why it does feel different is probably because of the 17" 45 series tires on the MP3 vs the soft sponge like tires on the ES. I did keep hearing about the how great the road translates through the steering wheel on the Protege. I heard that on just about every review I could find.

I did keep hearing about the how great the road translates through the steering wheel on the Protege.

Yup, that's the whole point. I can remember Mazda ads in magazines, reviews on the internet etc etc all saying the ratio was different on the mp3. I got to find some of those articles if I get time. Basically, It takes less turns of the wheel to turn the front wheels, and there's something different about the column to allow greater road feel. I'm not techie enough to remember the exact parts..... gotta find those ads..

The clutch is also different, also stated by mazda. The purpose was that if anyone decided to add more power to the mp3, they wouldn't have to replace the clutch. It's "supposed" to be able to handle more hp better, and it's supposed to be more precise.

After driving an ES/P5 for a while, and getting into the mp3, the clutch IS different. It's actually much stiffer. As for it being more precise...i can't tell much of a difference there. I did find it engaged sooner. But were talking minimal difference, at least that I could notice.

even if you buy a protege you cant make it like an mp3....what is the point of doing that........it is like taking a mustang and putting fake saleen stickers on it........You would have to paint the car one of the two colors blue or yellow.......And it wouldn't be orginal because mp3 owners can find out what number their car is out of 1500.............Dont waste your time, try and find a used mp3

well i live here in canada and mp3s are almost extremely rare.. a used one goes up to 28000... i dont wanna replicate an mp3.. all i want to do is have an es handle like an mp3.. looks arent everything to me.. i just want a car that would handle great.. and i think it would be nice to work on a car that is not found on every stop light, like a honda..

i dont like being rice.. which is what i think your saying.. but if you think making an es handle like an mp3 is rice.. well its not..

To convert a stock protege or a P5 to mp3 suspension system costs about $ 6000 cdn at the dealer. While deciding to buy a P5 and make it a mp3 in suspension or buy the mazdaspeed, I had the dealer price it out for me. I have a MP3 already which my wife will get after I get the mazdaspeed.

Not worth $ 6000 just for the suspension mods when you consider a mazdaspeed.

Supposidly there is a kit you can buy from mazda to drop this price a bit.

Steering Ratio

Just in case anyone is truly interested, ....

MP3

Protege 5

Scroll down to the Specifications section, to the Overall Steering Ratio.

The two models are different.

mazdamastertech said:
hey fellows don't always believe what is written in mags and articles. the only diff in the mp3 and pro mechanically is ecu, exhaust, and supension parts. that is it! no other parts, no special sterring racks no trick intakes, no different final gear set, nothing else.

ingenious observation....yeah I guess I shouldn't belive the FSM for the MP3 then right?

get your damn facts straight before spouting off misinformation

get your damn facts straight before spouting off misinformation

Go Harlem: I understand that you are right about the steering, but I'd like to tell you this. I think you are lost, this isn't the www.protegeclub.com forum. If you are going to frequent this board, can you please be civil to other people. The way you are speaking is the exact reason I never go the that site anymore, oh, not to mention all the know it all moderators that all gang up on you and flame you as soon as you disagree with them. So if you are going to act like that, go back to protegeclub.com because you will be unwanted here. I'm not flaming you, just telling you like it is.

i'm not even going to say anything about your veiw on protegeclub. I know you hate that forum with a passion, and i feel anything I say about that wouldn't mean anything.

as for my reply before....i still feel it was warranted.....if you are going to state something, make sure its correct. There is too much misinformation going around on the internet, and it truly isn't helpful of people to say stuff that they are unsure of as being "correct".

I have the microfiche of the mp3, as well as the 2002 shop manual, the steering racks ARE different.....if that mazdatech guy doesn't believe that then I don't know what he will.

oh yeah, another thing.....i already feel unwanted here, seeing how all my posts go ignored, hence why I rarely post. It seems people don't believe what I have to say since i don't own a mp3 or protege5. (despite the fact i'm working on a website with information i've compiled over the past couple years on these cars).

Gro Harlem,

Not true! You are welcomed here, but take a lesson from asianhottie. She is definitely unwanted!:D She did it to herself. I see your point, but no one is a child here. We need to treat each other with respect (unless it's a flamewar. Then it's on!).

Gro Harlem said:
heh, true, i guess my initial post was a lil "flame like"....sorry

i guess i got a lil frustrated

HEY Wil, do you want some cheese with your WHINE!!

just admit it, YOU are a whiner!!! :{D

j/k dude.... you know me better than that! ;)

Back