More rumors about future Mazda products - 2022 and beyond

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
More rumors came out today, related to the future RWD large arhitecture.

Apparently the first product will be an all new Mazda6, RWD architecture, Inline-Six engine, close to 300hp and 250 lbs that will feature a 48V Mild hybrid system. They stated that it would come March 2022.

Also, an all new CX-5 should come early 2023 and similar with the Mazda6, it will move from FWD to RWD/AWD.

A new CX-3 coming June 2022, with a Skyactiv-X engine of 1.5l.

Source: https://carbuzz.com/news/more-mazda-models-are-going-rwd-than-we-thought

From what I've read, there's not going to be a dual-clutch, there is going to be an all new 8-speed torque converter. As about the other ones, too early to tell but most likely it won't be anything fast. Mazda sporty, yes, fast probably not.

Per Mazda USA it seems a diesel Mazda 6 is coming soon. I thought the diesel cx-5 didn't do so well? What would be the point to introduce another diesel to the lineup?

OK, took a second look and found the vehicle under "future vehicles". I guess the engine has already been certified at this point. Still, the higher cost of diesel and thousands of higher upfront cost eliminates any cost savings from higher fuel efficiency in the NA market.

Other markets are different. Places where gasoline is expensive, like Australia or the UK, the sales mix is much more even between gasoline and diesel.

Anyone else hoping for slightly lifted 6 Wagon in the USA?

My jaw dropped when I saw the Wagon a few years ago in Europe.

Anyone else hoping for slightly lifted 6 Wagon in the USA?

My jaw dropped when I saw the Wagon a few years ago in Europe.

We can always hope, but with buying trends in NA moving more towards "utility" vehicles, it isn't likely :(

Sad because I really like the look of the Mazda6 wagon.

I would love, LOVE to see Mazda bring the Mazda6 wagon back to CONUS but as mentioned the majority of 'Muricans want their Utes. Me, give me a sexy wagon or hatch anyday. After all, a Ute is just a raised station wagon. ;)

Sadly, we miss out on the Estate offerings of MB and BMW too.:cry:

And this rumor was just confirmed yesterday, the rotary is coming back.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mazda-rotary-engine-return-mx-30-ev-us/

Pretty awesome news today. According to the latest reports, the Inline Six and the new large architecture will start being manufactured in EARLY 2022. If this is the case we should expect a reveal of some models in the summer/fall 2021.

Pretty awesome news today. According to the latest reports, the Inline Six and the new large architecture will start being manufactured in EARLY 2022. If this is the case we should expect a reveal of some models in the summer/fall 2021.

That article is a summary of a Nekkei report and lacks some of the context. The source article is actually a better read.

NIKKEI: Mazda stakes revival of fortunes on expansion of its lineup

Reading between the lines, I see a few key points that may have deeper meaning.

1) New large architecture SUV's (presumably CX-50, etc) will sell side-by-side with existing models (CX-5, etc). I take this to merely mean Mazda will still be selling 2022 CX-5's, et al, at the same time they're launching 2023 CX-50's, etc. Who knows, maybe they'll even hedge their bet by extending the existing CX-5 another MY until the CX-50 gains traction? (pun intended)

2) The new platform "will be the successors to the existing CX-5 and CX-8 SUVs". While the Nekkei may naturally be focused on JDM CX-8 - which is a slightly more compact cousin of the CX-9 due to Japanese regulations - rather than CX-9 itself, might Mazda be planning to globalize the CX-8 replacement as the CX-90? I wonder.

3) Costs are running higher than expected and new models are "likely to be priced significantly higher than existing models". This begs the question, how much is "significantly higher"? I've got to believe the Nekkei's point of reference leans toward other mainstream brands, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. It's no surprise that Mazda's move upmarket will carry certain pricing penalties, but I can't imagine they'd expect this to work out if the increases put them on par with even middling "luxury" brands like Acura and Genesis, much less Lexus and the Germans. So take heart. I'm guessing Mazda will still be the value proposition most of us here see them as now.

4) Domestic Japanese suppliers are expecting to supply 20% of the components by March 2025. I read this as Mazda off-shoring 3rd-party suppliers in order to hold costs and prices down, phasing them in to reach 80% by 2025. The Nekkei is naturally concerned with reduced reliance on domestic suppliers impact on the Japanese economy, not merely Mazda's bottom line. But for consumers it, hopefully, mitigates some of rising cost of new models.

There's more, but I think that's enough speculation on my part for now. And, make no mistake, this is all strictly speculation, just my opinion... worth every penny you paid for it!

Last edited:
That article is a summary of a Nekkei report and lacks some of the context. The source article is actually a better read.

NIKKEI: Mazda stakes revival of fortunes on expansion of its lineup

Reading between the lines, I see a few key points that may have deeper meaning.

1) New large architecture SUV's (presumably CX-50, etc) will sell side-by-side with existing models (CX-5, etc). I take this to merely mean Mazda will still be selling 2022 CX-5's, et al, at the same time they're launching 2023 CX-50's, etc. Who knows, maybe they'll even hedge their bet by extending the existing CX-5 another MY until the CX-50 gains traction? (pun intended)

2) The new platform "will be the successors to the existing CX-5 and CX-8 SUVs". While the Nekkei may naturally be focused on JDM CX-8 - which is a slightly more compact cousin of the CX-9 due to Japanese regulations - rather than CX-9 itself, might Mazda be planning to globalize the CX-8 replacement as the CX-90? I wonder.

3) Costs are running higher than expected and new models are "likely to be priced significantly higher than existing models". This begs the question, how much is "significantly higher"? I've got to believe the Nekkei's point of reference leans toward other mainstream brands, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. It's no surprise that Mazda's move upmarket will carry certain pricing penalties, but I can't imagine they'd expect this to work out if the increases put them on par with even middling "luxury" brands like Acura and Genesis, much less Lexus and the Germans. So take heart. I'm guessing Mazda will still be the value proposition most of us here see them as now.

4) Domestic Japanese suppliers are expecting to supply 20% of the components by March 2025. I read this as Mazda off-shoring 3rd-party suppliers in order to hold costs and prices down, phasing them in to reach 80% by 2025. The Nekkei is naturally concerned with reduced reliance on domestic suppliers impact on the Japanese economy, not merely Mazda's bottom line. But for consumers it, hopefully, mitigates some of rising cost of new models.

There's more, but I think that's enough speculation on my part for now. And, make no mistake, this is all strictly speculation, just my opinion... worth every penny you paid for it!
Yes I have read that initial article as well, thanks for sharing. My gripe with the 3-rd party suppliers is that the quality will suffer from this (see VW). Mazda managed to come 1st on the reliability because they did everything in house, therefore outsourcing parts even though they will keep the cost down, is going to have a downside.

The other thing is, as it was previously mentioned before, if the prices will be higher than a, lets say VW, is going to be a big failure, as people will not want to pay luxury money for an Mazda SUV, no matter how good it is. The target IMO needs to be VW money and undertake by value Acura and Genesis products, as you said.

Yes I have read that initial article as well, thanks for sharing. My gripe with the 3-rd party suppliers is that the quality will suffer from this (see VW). Mazda managed to come 1st on the reliability because they did everything in house, therefore outsourcing parts even though they will keep the cost down, is going to have a downside.

The other thing is, as it was previously mentioned before, if the prices will be higher than a, lets say VW, is going to be a big failure, as people will not want to pay luxury money for an Mazda SUV, no matter how good it is. The target IMO needs to be VW money and undertake by value Acura and Genesis products, as you said.
I'm under the impression the 3rd-party suppliers quoted are the ones already making parts for Mazda. Happens with every manufacturer out there including all the high-zoot German brands. The issue might be offshoring suppliers and the quality to be expected from them. But the fact that Mazda apparently intends to phase this in over several years gives hope that they'll be keeping a very close rein on QC.

VW would be a pretty easy target. Though to be honest, I think they already are, and I'm not sure current Mazda pricing is far off from VW as it is. We test drove a Tiguan when were we shopping for our first CX-5 and it was within range dealer-pricewise then (2017). But the Tiguan drove like a tin can, the engine was "boomy", it had traction problems, and the interior came across as very sparse and uncomfortable by comparison. IMO it didn't come close to offering what the CX-5 did for whatever price... and that was obvious just from a 20-minute test drive!

More rumors came out today, related to the future RWD large arhitecture.

Apparently the first product will be an all new Mazda6, RWD architecture, Inline-Six engine, close to 300hp and 250 lbs that will feature a 48V Mild hybrid system. They stated that it would come March 2022.

Also, an all new CX-5 should come early 2023 and similar with the Mazda6, it will move from FWD to RWD/AWD.

A new CX-3 coming June 2022, with a Skyactiv-X engine of 1.5l.

Source: https://carbuzz.com/news/more-mazda-models-are-going-rwd-than-we-thought
My biggest pet peeve with the future of automotive enhancements lie directly at the feet of the design engineers; their “concept car(s).”

Nothing remotely associated with these future stylings hardly comes close. Yes, they fulfill their engine prognostications. And creature comforts. Possibly even surpassing their wildest expectations.

One glance at the 2023 Mazda6 concept illustrates my point. The lines, the aerodynamics, the (yes, I’ll say it) sex appeal. Unless I have lived under a prehistoric rock, the pics featured here have about as much chance of rolling off the assembly lines as the proverbial snowball in Death Valley. And that’s a bummer. My wallet screams for access to the driver’s controls of one of these:
0CA55D38-009F-4CD6-8284-1507FB28A961.jpeg
60CEDCBF-01CB-4CAE-84BA-BA0829427922.jpeg

My biggest pet peeve with the future of automotive enhancements lie directly at the feet of the design engineers; their “concept car(s).”

Nothing remotely associated with these future stylings hardly comes close. Yes, they fulfill their engine prognostications. And creature comforts. Possibly even surpassing their wildest expectations.

One glance at the 2023 Mazda6 concept illustrates my point. The lines, the aerodynamics, the (yes, I’ll say it) sex appeal. Unless I have lived under a prehistoric rock, the pics featured here have about as much chance of rolling off the assembly lines as the proverbial snowball in Death Valley. And that’s a bummer. My wallet screams for access to the driver’s controls of one of these:

Sorry to disappoint, but that isn't a concept of the 2023 Mazda6. That's the Vision Coupe, which, in Mazda's words, "perfectly embodies the elegant and refined atmosphere that is the target of next-generation Mazda design".

Elements shown in the Vision Coupe have made their way into Mazda's current products. Front grille and headlight design, the elongated hood, the sleek sheet metal, interior design, taillight design, etc. It's not a production car - it's more like a design template.

To your point though, IMO some car companies are getting better at bringing concepts to production. One recent example is Nissan's 400Z.

Sorry to disappoint, but that isn't a concept of the 2023 Mazda6. That's the Vision Coupe, which, in Mazda's words, "perfectly embodies the elegant and refined atmosphere that is the target of next-generation Mazda design".

Elements shown in the Vision Coupe have made their way into Mazda's current products. Front grille and headlight design, the elongated hood, the sleek sheet metal, interior design, taillight design, etc. It's not a production car - it's more like a design template.

To your point though, IMO some car companies are getting better at bringing concepts to production. One recent example is Nissan's 400Z.
Appreciate you getting me up to speed. I have to say, that Vision Coupe has my name all over it. LOL

Now, off to see this 400Z! Thanks!!

Back