Mods for better gas mileage.

anywereiroam

:
02 p5
I am looking to see if I can get better gas mileage out of my protege.
It already does great but if I could get more then why not.
I know intake is one of them. I can make my own. Exhaust is another.
But I dont want the car to be loud or have that 4 cyclinder sound.
The farthest I went was take the muffler off. Other then that
Is there any tuning handhelds out there for these cars?
I'd like to mod if for better mpg and alittle power does not hurt.

I want to mod the motor but I feel like I'd never.get the power
I want out.of it

I am looking to see if I can get better gas mileage out of my protege.
It already does great but if I could get more then why not.
I know intake is one of them. I can make my own. Exhaust is another.
But I dont want the car to be loud or have that 4 cyclinder sound.
The farthest I went was take the muffler off.

Just do an axle-back exhaust. Get a muffler that has a silencer on it, and it won't be that loud.

Better spark plugs and wires is another way to improve gas mileage.

Apparently a cold air intake can help in the mpg category as well. (power too)

Better spark plugs and wires is another way to improve gas mileage.

Just new spark plugs is good. You could try the ZM-DE (1.6L) spark plugs in 1.8's and 2.0's, just put some in mine. Here's some info: Spark Plug Specifications, BJ
I suppose a UDP would help, how-to
I'm slightly skeptical about CAI's, but they look cool. By modifying the stock intake, I believe you can get better results. Again, ClubProtege to the rescue: Modifying the Stock Air Intake System
Also, have a look around the how-to to see if you like anything, there are plenty of things to do, and weight savings is also a good idea.

Just new spark plugs is good. You could try the ZM-DE (1.6L) spark plugs in 1.8's and 2.0's, just put some in mine. Here's some info: Spark Plug Specifications, BJ
I suppose a UDP would help, how-to
I'm slightly skeptical about CAI's, but they look cool. By modifying the stock intake, I believe you can get better results. Again, ClubProtege to the rescue: Modifying the Stock Air Intake System
Also, have a look around the how-to to see if you like anything, there are plenty of things to do, and weight savings is also a good idea.
Im not sure if reducing weight (Im assuming thats what youre talking about) is that practical if he wants to be able to hold more than one passenger.

The UDP doesn't just help with total weight of the car, it's the hp required to spin them up and down that comes into play. A heavier pulley can rob the engine of power when it's trying to accelerate. (I wonder about the smaller diameter of the pulley though,... that means the alt and others are spinning slower and may not generate effectively at slower rpms)

I run one on my Mustang and I used to on a ford focus I had. It is subtle but noticeable. Doesnt drive up the heat or rob you of much charge either

I for sure want to lower it! And I've been looking to do that spark plug 1.6 deal.
As for Cai I am iffy about it on these cars don't seem like it would do much
I'm thinking pullies, better spark plug wires.

Back