Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, all those rotations and you still replaced tires at 16k miles. :) I'm betting all those "free" carwashes from the dealer, were the actual cause of your mirror issues. Those brushes are brutal!
They hand wash the cars. They handled MBs work, too. Yes, the OEM tires were trash. The Lx25s I replaced them with lasted about 50k miles though, as one would expect. With an awd car, you rotate the tires so as to prevent uneven F/R tire speed, so even more necessary on the OEMs. In fact, they opted not to rotate the LX25s knce or twice because the wear was even.

As an aside, my dealer even advised me against changing the transfer case fluid one time. Said it looked good and didn't need it (I had taken the vehicle through some water). Thing is, you dont know me, my dealer, my finances, none of it, and I can see by what you've attempted to extrapolate, that you're all sorts of wrong. A better question is...why do you care? This all started because I said my mirror motors broke, and the warranty turned out to be a fine enough deal. Then I backed these statements up, and now you're whining about how bad my OEM tires were? Lol...

I bought 1 vehicle from this dealer....
on a vehicle I neither bought, nor warrantied through them
Earlier, you said "this is why I build relationships" and "relationships matter" as it relates to the fabulous deals you've received from dealers when buying, trading, and servicing vehicles.
But it seems like you are now downplaying these relationships.

And for some reason, you are crediting a dealer for replacing a rear diff "for free". However, in past posts, you said this was done under the manufacturer bumper-to-bumper warranty and thanked "Mazda" corporate for taking care of it.

I got the tires and mud guards for $1350. This is same as retail from Big O or anyone else. Those tires are $240/ea. Plus install.
Dealer sold me the vehicle for $10k UNDER current market value while giving me $5K OVER KBB trade on my cx5...and again, they didnt finance anything for me. I always do my own financing.
Your number are off.
You posted your VIN...the dealer didn't give you anywhere close to $5K over KBB trade. Tires installed from Tire Rack or Discount Tire are right at $1000. OEM mud guards are $59. Many vehicles listed for MSRP on cars.com.

You claim the dealer intentionally lost out on $15,000 in pure profit from one car deal, just because they thought you were a nice guy? Does that make sense to you?

Reminder: This thread topic deals with the folding mirror issues and possible resolutions. It isn't for discussing warranty philosophy, doling out financial advice, discussing dealer services, or doing detective work on other people's cars. Threads already exist for all of those things (aside from the "detective work").

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

People with the mirror folding issue. How many have failed outside of warranty and weren't covered by Mazda. I have not seen much data on that. It seems like when they fail, it's pretty early on. Our warrant is going to expire in December and we haven't had any issues with the mirrors, or anything for that matter.

I can't see ever buying a vehicle without power mirrors in the future. It's an easy visual that ensures you locked the doors. (y)

People with the mirror folding issue. How many have failed outside of warranty and weren't covered by Mazda. I have not seen much data on that. It seems like when they fail, it's pretty early on. Our warrant is going to expire in December and we haven't had any issues with the mirrors, or anything for that matter.

I can't see ever buying a vehicle without power mirrors in the future. It's an easy visual that ensures you locked the doors. (y)
Well, mine went every 25k miles, give or take. As to the other, when someone picks up one of my bills, I'll feel more of a need to care what they think. Suffice to say buying a Prime for sticker with zero required dealer addons isnt the norm right now, but I had no problem doing it. Moving on...

Also of note, road trips killed the mirror motors/they often chose road trips to begin showing failures, and they tended to die more often in summer than winter. Just a trend I noticed and fkund odd.

Last edited:
Well, mine went every 25k miles, give or take. As to the other, when someone picks up one of my bills, I'll feel more of a need to care what they think. Suffice to say buying a Prime for sticker with zero required dealer addons isnt the norm right now, but I had no problem doing it. Moving on...

Also of note, road trips killed the mirror motors/they often chose road trips to begin showing failures, and they tended to die more often in summer than winter. Just a trend I noticed and fkund odd.
Actually, all of your unusual issues have been well documented. I'm trying to get a better feel from those who don't have your bad luck. Thanks!

I just had a RH mirror motor replaced on a 2020 with 19K miles. The service writer said that the problem is a "resistance issue" and that they were advised to put dielectric grease in the connector for the LH mirror which wasn't replaced. That would kind of make sense since it is sometimes intermittent-- nothing is physically broken, but sometimes the motor doesn't have enough grunt to move it and a high resistance at the connector could cause that.

The invoice says that there is a service bulletin for it.

The part they replaced is KBY0-69-15ZC which sells for about $35, so it wouldn't be a super expensive repair if it were out of warranty.

The service writer said that the problem is a "resistance issue" and that they were advised to put dielectric grease in the connector for the LH mirror which wasn't replaced.The invoice says that there is a service bulletin for it.
The part they replaced is KBY0-69-15ZC which sells for about $35, so it wouldn't be a super expensive repair if it were out of warranty.
Unless you are Unobtanium, in which case each repair would cost $750.
He may be the only person on the planet who would be charged that much.

Jokes aside, there is no reason to make such assumptions, or to single out Unobtanium. Maybe all of the dealerships charge that same amount for folding side mirror replacement, we just haven't seen it because nobody else has provided more info.

To be fair, he wasn't charged anything, the repairs were done under warranty. Also, I believe the $750 was not just a replacement of the actuator (KBY0-69-15ZC). That cost may have been for the entire side mirror assembly (KB8M-69-181B), plus labour costs. $750 is still a ridiculous price for a dealer to charge (if that is indeed what they charge) in either case, but it's important to be as specific as possible to give a more accurate idea of what to expect.

If this failure does happen, at least we now know what part to order, and some side mirror disassembly instructions are available here on the forum. As Jeff F said, if you're willing to DIY, it would be a fairly cheap problem to fix.

I just had a RH mirror motor replaced on a 2020 with 19K miles. The service writer said that the problem is a "resistance issue" and that they were advised to put dielectric grease in the connector for the LH mirror which wasn't replaced. That would kind of make sense since it is sometimes intermittent-- nothing is physically broken, but sometimes the motor doesn't have enough grunt to move it and a high resistance at the connector could cause that.

The invoice says that there is a service bulletin for it.

I thought this was a strange approach as most dealerships would replace instead of repair. I think the dealer is able to profit more from replacement work. But it makes sense if the part is in low supply or the dealership needs to keep its techs busy.

The entire job took less then 2 hours from the time that I pulled into the service area until I was back in my car (including greasing up the connector on the LH), so it's not a big dollar job either way. Retail on an entire mirror is only around $240. I'm sure it was more labor to swap the motor out than to just swap a mirror since I'm pretty sure the mirror has to come off either way.

The entire job took less then 2 hours from the time that I pulled into the service area until I was back in my car (including greasing up the connector on the LH), so it's not a big dollar job either way. Retail on an entire mirror is only around $240. I'm sure it was more labor to swap the motor out than to just swap a mirror since I'm pretty sure the mirror has to come off either way.
You are echoing the point I was trying to make...

Unob has been EXTREMELY vocal about the supposed $750 replacement cost, bring it up multiple times in multiple threads.
As you point out, no rational person would ever pay anything close to $750 to fix this issue (let alone pay this 4 times).

It appears he was looking to justify the ridiculously expensive aftermarket extended warranty he purchased, so it was in his interests to inflate the costs and frequency of repairs as much as possible.
Conveniently, the total repair costs Unob claims ($750 x 4) equals the amount spent for the warranty. This mental gymnastics allows him to feel like he "broke even" on the warranty and justify its purchase.

And yet you’re posting on his behalf, again. Can we drop it?

Cool. Mazda ate it. Not me. And now I drive a Toyota. They sure showed me, huh? Lmao

*It wasnt 750 per.

You are echoing the point I was trying to make...

Unob has been EXTREMELY vocal about the supposed $750 replacement cost, bring it up multiple times in multiple threads.
As you point out, no rational person would ever pay anything close to $750 to fix this issue (let alone pay this 4 times).

It appears he was looking to justify the ridiculously expensive aftermarket extended warranty he purchased, so it was in his interests to inflate the costs and frequency of repairs as much as possible.
Conveniently, the total repair costs Unob claims ($750 x 4) equals the amount spent for the warranty. This mental gymnastics allows him to feel like he "broke even" on the warranty and justify its purchase.
Please find where I said it cost $750 for a mirror motor replacement.

Thread has been reviewed and will remain closed.

bluegrass has been permanently banned for ignoring warnings, repeated harassment of other users, constant confrontational and condescending posts, and for ignoring Site Rules. Such behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated on Mazdas247.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back