Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is that your story is never consistent.
You've posted multiple times about the mirrors, and the cost always varies...

- Each failure cost $741 or so, IIRC, per the bill, per unit/labor. That is 4($741) so far, half under the 3/36, and half under the extended. Betcha it pays for itself in mirror motors ALONE!
- but considering minor equipment has already racked up a $1500 tab on the 3/36 warranty,
- The bill was $550 per side to the company supplying the warranty
- I am glad I at least got the extended warranty, because each failure is $5-600
Yes, the bills did vary. Why? I dont know. The initial replacement was billed higher, yes. Do I remember the exact prices? No. Now go run the vin at your dealership, observe the 4 motor replacements, and stop wasting my time.
JM3KFBDY2K0528412

16 oil changes for 80,189 miles driven on his 2019 CX-5 GT-R, changing oil every 5,000 miles seems pretty normal to me.
Really? They were 1 to 2 months apart, so obviously not "harsh" conditions. LOL So, if he changed it at recommended intervals, it would have save him about $500. That's leaving out the other non-needed services I'm sure the dealer was pushing.

Seeing this Carfax is eye opening. :)

Really? They were 1 to 2 months apart, so obviously not "harsh" conditions. LOL So, if he changed it at recommended intervals, it would have save him about $500. That's leaving out the other non-needed services I'm sure the dealer was pushing.

There were no "other services", and you rotate tires every 5K miles, so I just had them do an oil change while they were at it. It's a turbo DI engine, so...

Also, one thing that's cool, is I spent $110 on fuel this month so far, and the gauge is sitting on Full. I'm saving $250/mo or more with this Prime, speaking of saving money.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand folks dumping on Unobtainium. He traded in a well maintained CX-5, end of story. His dealership replaced his previous CX-5s rear differential free of charge when it flooded. That’s a service center worth frequenting for regular normal cost maintenance.

I really don’t understand folks dumping on Unobtainium. He traded in a well maintained CX-5, end of story. His dealership replaced his previous CX-5s rear differential free of charge when it flooded. That’s a service center worth frequenting for regular normal cost maintenance.
Exactly. Labor and parts for that were $2700. This is why I build relationships rather than try to nickel and dime a dealer as hard as I can. One, my way is easier, two, it pays in the long run. Got that cx5 GTR for $31,800 or so +TTL when I traded that (broken, took near $1500 to fix) Touring 2015 in with 106k miles, barely able to move under its own power, for $9k. Then I traded that cx5 2019 for $25k and got that rav4 prime xse for sticker, bought the Toyota warranty for $500 over cost. Most Prime XSEs in the Midwest sold for $10k over sticker, and the dealer had other dealers offering to pay them $5k over sticker. Sold it to ME for Sticker. Relationships matter.

We all know almost every Mazda dealer pushes fixed 5,000-mile OCI to its customers. Unobtanium followed Mazda’s Schedule 2 maintenance interval with fixed 5,000-mile OCI and tire rotation which shouldn’t be considered as not following Mazda’s recommendation, although I personally would use Flexible OCI and 7,500-mile tire rotation (laziness) with such heavy driving. Even that, the wrench indicator may be on way before 7,500-mile upper limit on oil change. Uno seems to be just doing his best to maintain his previous CX-5 within his busy schedule, driving 80K+ miles in 2+ years! :oops:

We all know almost every Mazda dealer pushes fixed 5,000-mile OCI to its customers. Unobtanium followed Mazda’s Schedule 2 maintenance interval with fixed 5,000-mile OCI and tire rotation which shouldn’t be considered as not following Mazda’s recommendation, although I personally would use Flexible OCI and 7,500-mile tire rotation (laziness) with such heavy driving. Even that, the wrench indicator may be on way before 7,500-mile upper limit on oil change. Uno seems to be just doing his best to maintain his previous CX-5 within his busy schedule, driving 80K+ miles in 2+ years! :oops:
Yes, nearly everything I own gets proper PM. I say "nearly", because I am sure my toaster has some PM schedule I don't adhere to or something.

Exactly. Labor and parts for that were $2700. This is why I build relationships rather than try to nickel and dime a dealer as hard as I can. One, my way is easier, two, it pays in the long run. Got that cx5 GTR for $31,800 or so +TTL when I traded that (broken, took near $1500 to fix) Touring 2015 in with 106k miles, barely able to move under its own power, for $9k. Then I traded that cx5 2019 for $25k and got that rav4 prime xse for sticker, bought the Toyota warranty for $500 over cost. Most Prime XSEs in the Midwest sold for $10k over sticker, and the dealer had other dealers offering to pay them $5k over sticker. Sold it to ME for Sticker. Relationships matter.
Yes, the relationship to a good car dealership matters. The problem is a good dealer is very hard to find. Fortunately my Mazda dealer is a good one where I feel it’s much easier to get better service for warranty work, and excellent price for a Mazda I really want.

Unfortunately I’m not be able to find such Toyota dealer around to get a new Prius Prime currently looking ⋯ :(

Yes, the bills did vary. Why? I dont know. The initial replacement was billed higher, yes. Do I remember the exact prices? No. Now go run the vin at your dealership, observe the 4 motor replacements, and stop wasting my time.
JM3KFBDY2K0528412
It's not that the bills vary.
It is that the amounts you claim the warranty paid out vary each time you talk about it...
- In one post, you say each of the 4 motors cost $741 a piece.
- In another post, you say the second two cost $550.
- Then you say those second two may have cost just $500.

It's not that the bills vary.
It is that the amounts you claim the warranty paid out vary each time you talk about it...
- In one post, you say each of the 4 motors cost $741 a piece.
- In another post, you say the second two cost $550.
- Then you say those second two may have cost just $500.
What's your point? That I don't say $550 each time because I just rounded to $500? Or that Mazda changed the price to a lesser mount for the second set?

What's your point? That I don't say $550 each time because I just rounded to $500? Or that Mazda changed the price to a lesser mount for the second set?
In one post, you claimed each of the 4 failures cost $741 each
Each failure cost $741 or so, IIRC, per the bill, per unit/labor. That is 4($741) so far, half under the 3/36, and half under the extended. Betcha it pays for itself in mirror motors ALONE!
In other posts, you claimed the cost was significantly less, as low as $500.

SO the claim that the 4 motor replacements cost $2964 ($741 each) is completely inaccurate.

In reality, the first 2 motors cost nothing, since they were covered under the manufacturer warranty. The last 2 motors costs hundreds less than the $741 you claimed above.

This is why I build relationships rather than try to nickel and dime a dealer as hard as I can. One, my way is easier, two, it pays in the long run.
traded that Touring 2015 for $9k...Then I traded that cx5 2019...got that rav4 prime xse for sticker, bought the Toyota warranty for $500 over cost. Relationships matter.
Yes, the relationship to a good car dealership matters. The problem is a good dealer is very hard to find.
I think you guys are seriously overvaluing the "relationship" with a car dealership. The dealer is the one benefiting from such a cozy relationship.

- Unob has bought THREE brand new vehicles from the same dealer in the last few years.
- He bought high-profit-margin warranties on all of them (a major profit center)
- He traded these cars back into the dealership (more dealer profit)
- He financed these vehicles with the dealer (more profit)
- His last vehicle was serviced by the dealer 23 TIMES in a 2 year period (more $$).
- The last purchase was a $50K Rav4 + $2500 extended warranty + financing + $1350 in tires (with dealer keeping the brand new tires he had removed)

Unobtanium is a cash cow for this dealership, generating huge profit at literally every stage of the dealer's business (new car sales, used car sales, financing, warranties, service, accessories).

Sure, cultivating this "relationship" may cause the dealer to throw you a bone every now and then. However, any benefits you might get are more than offset by the huge expenses you incurred to build this relationship.

Yes, the relationship to a good car dealership matters. The problem is a good dealer is very hard to find. Fortunately my Mazda dealer is a good one where I feel it’s much easier to get better service for warranty work, and excellent price for a Mazda I really want.

Unfortunately I’m not be able to find such Toyota dealer around to get a new Prius Prime currently looking ⋯ :(
There's a difference between a good relationship, and getting hosed by following every service they recommend. It's obvious that Uno is in the latter group.

My wife's last vehicle had 5 years of free oil changes, so we took it in when it was time. Each time they tried to upsell maintenance items. Some were listed in the manual, while others were not. I had her always say no. We just had things repaired/replaced when actually needed, not when someone thought we should have it done. We traded it in 8 1/2 years later with no consequences, which correlated with every vehicle I've owned since the '70's.

We traded it in 8 1/2 years later with no consequences, which correlated with every vehicle I've owned since the '70's.
Modern vehicles are commodities. There is no need to develop dealer relationships in order to buy/own a car.

I've bought a total of 5 new vehicles and they all came from different dealerships.
With every one, I did my research, shopped around and purchased from the dealer that gave me the best bottom line price.
I didn't buy expensive warranties or add-ons, I didn't trade-in my old vehicles, I didn't finance through the dealer, I didn't go back to the dealer for service.

I could probably buy a brand new vehicle with all of the money I've saved from following these simple steps. Don't fool yourself into thinking a "relationship" with a dealer is financially advantageous for anyone but the dealership.

Uno appears to enjoy spending time & interacting with car dealers, and that is perfectly OK. But it is important to know that it comes with a cost. Different strokes for different folks.

I think you guys are seriously overvaluing the "relationship" with a car dealership. The dealer is the one benefiting from such a cozy relationship.

- Unob has bought THREE brand new vehicles from the same dealer in the last few years.
- He bought high-profit-margin warranties on all of them (a major profit center)
- He traded these cars back into the dealership (more dealer profit)
- He financed these vehicles with the dealer (more profit)
- His last vehicle was serviced by the dealer 23 TIMES in a 2 year period (more $$).
- The last purchase was a $50K Rav4 + $2500 extended warranty + financing + $1350 in tires (with dealer keeping the brand new tires he had removed)

Unobtanium is a cash cow for this dealership, generating huge profit at literally every stage of the dealer's business (new car sales, used car sales, financing, warranties, service, accessories).

Sure, cultivating this "relationship" may cause the dealer to throw you a bone every now and then. However, any benefits you might get are more than offset by the huge expenses you incurred to build this relationship.
I bought 1 vehicle from this dealer.
I financed nothing through the dealer.
I bought one warranty through them, which worst case, I "lost" $200 on.
This dealer replaced a $2700 rear diff for free that I f
looded, on a vehicle I neither bought, nor warrantied through them.

I got the tires and mud guards for $1350. This is same as retail from Big O or anyone else. Those tires are $240/ea. Plus install. The old tires, yeah, Could have kept them. Dealer offered. I just had no use and didnt want to muck with selling them local.
Dealer sold me the vehicle for $10k UNDER current market value while giving me $5K OVER KBB trade on my cx5...and again, they didnt finance anything for me. I always do my own financing.

I paid $44,xxx for my rav4 prime xse weather package. Not 50k, lol

There's a difference between a good relationship, and getting hosed by following every service they recommend. It's obvious that Uno is in the latter group.

My wife's last vehicle had 5 years of free oil changes, so we took it in when it was time. Each time they tried to upsell maintenance items. Some were listed in the manual, while others were not. I had her always say no. We just had things repaired/replaced when actually needed, not when someone thought we should have it done. We traded it in 8 1/2 years later with no consequences, which correlated with every vehicle I've owned since the '70's.
Oil change and tire rotation...oh yeah...I was really doing "extra". Id hate to buy YOUR used car if oil changes and tire rotstions are "getting hosed with extras...." lmao!

Oil change and tire rotation...oh yeah...I was really doing "extra". Id hate to buy YOUR used car if oil changes and tire rotstions are "getting hosed with extras...." lmao!
Yeah, all those rotations and you still replaced tires at 16k miles. :) I'm betting all those "free" carwashes from the dealer, were the actual cause of your mirror issues. Those brushes are brutal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back