Mile Per Gallon!!!!

The GT version we have has all the goodies. The one I like the most is BLISS. An awesome feature that works great. I even start to like the NAV system. It is not the best but when you know how to use it, it is not really that bad and has neat features.

What is BLISS?? The NAV would have been much more useful if you can lookup while driving. But I did find it very useful as it shows me the next upcoming gas stations, restaurants etc. My old TT GO 700 doesn't have that feature, though I suspect most newer GPS do.

Also, in addition to the little box that shows time of arrival and number of miles left, a bit more info would be very useful.

I'm too lazy to read the manual again, but what is suppose to happen if you press the SPEAK/NAV button and say "restaurant" for example. The NAV just repeats it back to me and nothing happens after that. Does it just lookup restaurant POI and display them on the screen?

What is BLISS?? The NAV would have been much more useful if you can lookup while driving. But I did find it very useful as it shows me the next upcoming gas stations, restaurants etc. My old TT GO 700 doesn't have that feature, though I suspect most newer GPS do.

Also, in addition to the little box that shows time of arrival and number of miles left, a bit more info would be very useful.

I'm too lazy to read the manual again, but what is suppose to happen if you press the SPEAK/NAV button and say "restaurant" for example. The NAV just repeats it back to me and nothing happens after that. Does it just lookup restaurant POI and display them on the screen?

Bliss = Blind Spot Information System. It lights up, in your mirrors, when someone is in your blind spot. An audio warning sounds if you turn on your turn signal.

About your Nav question.... You will have to look it up cause i don't know (drinks)

Bliss = Blind Spot Information System.

I think Mazda uses "BSM" instead of "BLISS", which is a term used by Volvo.
The BSM technology was originally from Volvo, which is part of Ford, which "used to" own Mazda.

P.S. Ford owns 20% of Mazda stocks now - legally it does not own Mazda (needs 30% or more).

It's called BSMS - Blind Spot Monitoring System. Official name.

Direct copy from Mazda news release....
"Safety
- Front air bags, side-impact air bags and 3-row side air curtains with roll-over protection.
- The CX-9 received the Highest Frontal Offset and Side-Impact Crash Test Rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Standard Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TSC) and Roll Stability Control (RSC).
- Standard Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System***, Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and antitheft perimeter alarm.
"

The abbreviation is still BSM, not BSMS, though the full name is "Blind Spot Monitoring System"

sp535:

I have the same issue. I bought mine about three weeks ago do mostly city driving. Im located in South FL. Im on my second gas tank hope it does better I had this same question.

I have the same issue. I bought mine about three weeks ago do mostly city driving. Im located in South FL. Im on my second gas tank hope it does better I had this same question.

Don't plan on anything better than 13 to 14 city driving, unless you live in Arizona.

My last city tank came in at 12.98.

Best of luck.

I'm getting 16 to 17 in Minneapolis when I consciously try for better mileage. If I'm just driving normally in the city I get around 15.

Back from our first long trip with the CX-9. Drove 700 miles from Ohio to SC and got 27 mpg on the first 350 miles with 500 lbs of passengers and fully loaded with air on all except the first hour. Second leg thru the mountains got 24 mpg. Very pleased--seats were really comfortable and it drove like a dream!

First tank of gas, and I did a fill up. The numbers work out to be 18.6 mpg, at 305 miles. That was 50/50 city/hwy driving so I'm very happy with that! With any luck those numbers might get better as everything loosens up a little.

'09 AWD GT

First fill up for our new 2009 GT (2wd) was 20.5 mpg. Probably about 80% hwy and 20%city mix. I was quite pleased, was getting a little worried after reading what some people were getting.

for my first 1000 miles i am averaging 16.8 mpg (50/50 highway/city) with a AWD GT...not great. i'm trying not to be a leadfoot too! oh well...good thing i live in NJ with lower than national avg gas prices. =)

The MPG of AWD model is significantly worse than the EPA's 1mpg difference.
Remember than the transfer case, the drive shaft are spinning non-stop as long as your vehicle is moving (that is why the AWD can react very quickly), in addition to the extra 200lbs.
That costs you fuel.
With AWD, 15-17mpg is expected for city driving (2-3mpg off FWD). On highways, however, the penalty of AWD reduces down to around 1mpg.

Last edited:
Just recorded 21 MPG driving from NJ to DC and back, including numerous streches of stop and go and a bit of city driving in DC. 80 MPH when I could. FWD FTW.

Back