Mile Per Gallon!!!!

BTW I forgot to mention this. I have not driven over 55MPH in the frst 1000 miles, but the oil color is getting dark brown (kind of going towards black), comparing to my 06 Maxima-it retails the golden yellow color even at 3000 miles. What was the color of the oil before you topped it.

It was dark, but not real dark. That's okay, as the oil is trapping contaminants like it's supposed to. Dark can be good.

Update:

I went 295.5 Miles on 15.7 US Gallons (18.8 MPG). FWD CX-9 Touring. It may be lower as I had the HVAC set for "Full Auto" which doesn't seem to turn off the A/C and there was a bad traffic back-up on an otherwise clear road.

Or maybe I "got on it" a little more :)

Here is a thought: do you have the roof rack? Could that adding mored drag?

Last edited:
That figure is 10% worse than the mileage I used to get with my 5.7 litre V8 SS Commodore

I just want to say this: I adore my 64, my Commodore 64!

OK, feel free to yell at me now.

FWD and AWD are not going to get particularly different mileage under normal driving. If you're not engaging the AWD, there is little difference, since the system is essentially FWD. The estimated 1mpg less is from the extra weight of the rear drive system. Ours is FWD, but I drive the car hard and fast (SO fun) and still get about 20 mixed. If I drove all highway conservatively I could probably get close to 25 mpg. Not sure why others are getting such lousy mileage. Maybe you have a stowaway.

i wonder, does the car "learn" how you drive and adjust settings including shift points? With some cars you can pull a fuse to force it to relearn your driving technique.

Always an interesting conversation when people compare fuel economy. I stumbled across this website;

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

actually pretty interesting for a government facilitated website. If you take the time to register you can add your vehicles to 'your garage' and log your fuel economy. What I find most interesting is they show the EPA standard and then what other registered people are getting. You log your driving style and type of driving you do (city vs. hwy). I've found it useful as I look to possibly get a new vehicle in the future (CX-9 in the running). It looks like there are people providing data on 07s, but none yet on the 08.

fuel economy

I constantly get between 17 mpg in the city and 22 at best on the highway but usually with a mix of driving 18 mpg

20mpg mixed driving? mmmmmmm whats the mix composition?

5 %city and 95% highway.... hahaha.

Thats the way I might believe that mpg number, of course having a FWD.

Taking off fast everytime, passing hard, crazy all day long all days of your life, yeah right youre gonna get better gas mileage. Yeah right....

My wife is the main driver, and last fillup she got 15.4 mpg, with mostly city driving.

This is consistent with what people are getting with SUVs in this class. Ah well...

I just filled up again (commute is 100 miles / day). 19.5 MPG. 20% pure highway, 20% "in-town" and 60% "rural" roads with the occassional stop light or stop sign. On the rural back roads I barely touch the gas and average 40 - 50 MPH.

I now drive the speed limits (well, mostly) to save gas. Instead of doing 80 - 85 on the highweay I'll do 65 - 70.

20mpg mixed driving? mmmmmmm whats the mix composition?

5 %city and 95% highway.... hahaha.

Thats the way I might believe that mpg number, of course having a FWD.

Taking off fast everytime, passing hard, crazy all day long all days of your life, yeah right youre gonna get better gas mileage. Yeah right....
time wise I'd say close to 50-50.

Latest mileage. 18 gallons used.
A week of my wife stop and going to and from work twice a day, then a winding mountain road/2-way road to Phoenix (100 miles, love the curves), city traffic, then 80mph from 1000ft back up to 5200 ft on the interstate, with a bit more winding highway at the end, and another day of wife to work.
18.44MPG

Last edited:
I'm coming up on 3,000 miles on a CX-9 front wheel drive. My worst tank was 16mpg and that was all city stop and go. The best tank was 22 on the highway 55-60 because of traffic. I am getting 18ish in normal driving with some highway and some city.

This is 3-5 miles per gallon better than my old SUV.

BTW I tried coasting down a hill and the RPMs are higher in neutral than in 6. Why would this happen?

Mike

AWD vs. FWD

After reading through all the comments about MPG on this board and others, it appears that there is a much larger difference in MPG between the AWD and FWD models than the official numbers indicate.

It seems that the FWD model gets 18-21 combined MPG and owners are generally happy. The AWD model gets 13-16 (or less) and owners are not happy.

Just my observation.

I did expect to get better than my now consistent 13.5 mpg, because I trusted the newly revised EPA rating system that rates the AWD at 15 city. Yes, you might say how silly of me to trust the EPA ratings, and my response is that I matched the old EPA ratings on my previous car- a very economical volvo v40 wagon. I also match the EPA ratings of my other car, a 2004 M3- and both of these other cars were rated using the old EPA rating system. As many of you know, the new EPA system of 2008 is more accurate, with lower mileage numbers, than the old system. So if I have always been able to match the more optimistic EPA ratings on my other cars, then yes, I assumed that I would be able to match the EPA rating of my new CX-9.
That being said, I think I know why I am getting only 13.5 mpg...
When I accelerated briskly in my lighter cars, it didn't use that much extra gas. To get my CX-9 to match the acceleration that I am used to in a 3300 lb. vehicle, it must use almost twice as much fuel to accelerate the 4600 pound CX-9. I simply need to learn to be much lighter on the throttle. Some of you claim you are no feather-foot, and you still get somewhere inside the EPA ratings, but you may also have a driving pattern that takes you on some long stretches where you get to use overdrive. The kind of driving I do in the CX-9 is 75% light to light, therefore I rarely get into 5th and 6th gear.

I can see that if you are doing a lot of city driving. That just sucks though. Especially with gas prices going up... I don't get much better even in my approx. 3100 lbs car. I average around 22 MPG.

averaging 22 is almost twice as good in your 3100lb car. That can be the difference between 2 grand and 4 grand of fuel per year!

Back