Mike's 2018 CX-9 Signature

Filled up with 91 yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do some comparison runs with the JB4 today. I had planned to, but it's supposed to rain, so we'll see.

I also did a quick wipedown of the interior and powerwashed the mats. These 5 year old mats treated me pretty well, but this year the corrosion got to the metal CX-9 plates and they broke away from the mats. I have one of them, not sure where the other went. If I replace the mats, I'm thinking I'll give Tuxmats a try. Excuse the random dirty bits and the not-fully-cleaned mats, lol

20230426_085718.jpg

20230426_085759.jpg

It's a shame they got rid of this interior colour.

Filled up with 91 yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do some comparison runs with the JB4 today. I had planned to, but it's supposed to rain, so we'll see.

I also did a quick wipedown of the interior and powerwashed the mats. These 5 year old mats treated me pretty well, but this year the corrosion got to the metal CX-9 plates and they broke away from the mats. I have one of them, not sure where the other went. If I replace the mats, I'm thinking I'll give Tuxmats a try. Excuse the random dirty bits and the not-fully-cleaned mats, lol

View attachment 318866
View attachment 318867

It's a shame they got rid of this interior colour.
I have the Grand Touring trim, but sometimes I wish I purchased the Signature trim just so I could see this interior color every time I open my door. It truly is a sight to behold! 😍

I have the Grand Touring trim, but sometimes I wish I purchased the Signature trim just so I could see this interior color every time I open my door. It truly is a sight to behold! 😍

Yeah, I'm really glad I was able to splurge on it. I especially like that the middle/upper dash and door handle areas have the auburn colour too. For some reason, they don't do that anymore on brand new models. The Parchment interior on the Signature trim does change the lower dash colour and the lower grab handle area of the door, but it doesn't look as nice to me.

BMS JB4 is now up and running with no issues! At the request of Terry from BMS, I have it set to Map2 on 91 octane fuel. I just did a log for him and we'll see what his recommendations are, but the car feels great! It definitely feels like it pulls harder all the way through the RPM range, but its most apparent at the top end, from 3500 onwards.

BMS JB4 is now up and running with no issues! At the request of Terry from BMS, I have it set to Map2 on 91 octane fuel. I just did a log for him and we'll see what his recommendations are, but the car feels great! It definitely feels like it pulls harder all the way through the RPM range, but its most apparent at the top end, from 3500 onwards.
Hey, been following your ups and downs so far with the JB4. Been deliberating if I wanted to do the same... I've got about 120k kms so it's a toss up at this point as I know the earlier models (2018 cx9 GT) are prone to coolant issues.

Is the difference in power worth it to you?

Can you post some videos of acceleration runs? Can you do 0-60 times with average best etc?

Hey, been following your ups and downs so far with the JB4. Been deliberating if I wanted to do the same... I've got about 120k kms so it's a toss up at this point as I know the earlier models (2018 cx9 GT) are prone to coolant issues.

Is the difference in power worth it to you?

Can you post some videos of acceleration runs? Can you do 0-60 times with average best etc?

It is absolutely worth it to me, especially since I saved some cash buying mine used. It really wakes the car up!

I'll be busy with family flying in for the weekend, so I may not be able to film those runs anytime soon, but I'll try to remember to record a couple. I also still have my winter setup on, lol

It is absolutely worth it to me, especially since I saved some cash buying mine used. It really wakes the car up!

I'll be busy with family flying in for the weekend, so I may not be able to film those runs anytime soon, but I'll try to remember to record a couple. I also still have my winter setup on, lol
Rog-- there are a few 0-60 apps on Android and IOS. Do some before and after to compare. You have a stock airbox as well?

Rog-- there are a few 0-60 apps on Android and IOS. Do some before and after to compare. You have a stock airbox as well?

No, I have a CorkSport intake. I also have a Sprint Booster (throttle controller).

Is there an app you'd recommend for tracking 0-60 times? I have the Torque app but I'd have to unplug the JB4 to use it.

I tried to film a couple of runs but I had some traction issues with the winter tires. Traction control kicked in shifting from 1st to 2nd on Map2, lol. I did notice that on the stock mapping, the 1-2 shift is done at 4500 rpm, while on Map2 it runs to 5500 rpm.

I'll wait to do anything else until I get my wheels on, and maybe after I change my diff and transmission fluids.

I tried to film a couple of runs but I had some traction issues with the winter tires. Traction control kicked in shifting from 1st to 2nd on Map2, lol. I did notice that on the stock mapping, the 1-2 shift is done at 4500 rpm, while on Map2 it runs to 5500 rpm.

I'll wait to do anything else until I get my wheels on, and maybe after I change my diff and transmission fluids.
Ok, will keep an eye out for it.

How many kms you have now on the vehicle?

CorkSport springs finally arrived. Will probably be installing this weekend, while also swapping to summer wheels.

20230502_131030.jpg

20230502_132623.jpg

I also clearcoated the replacement set of my Vossen centercaps so they wouldn't fade and chip like my current ones are. Crazy to think that they charge $150 USD for a set of these custom caps.

20230501_210846.jpg

Bleh. Swapped to summer wheels, but my whole family caught a cold that knocked us all on our asses. Springs will have to wait until next week

Finally got the springs on! Very happy with the look and the ride. Feels very close to OEM, just a tiny bit stiffer over bumps. I like to use my wife as an indicator to see if the difference is enough for her to notice, so I didn't tell her I swapped the springs. So far, she's driven the car a couple of times and ridden shotgun for our weekend errands and hasn't said a word (y)

Install was pretty straightforward. I don't own spring compressors, so I took the car to my uncle (same guy who replaced my rear brakes and pads). In the interest of time, we didn't bother trimming the rear bumpstops or dust shields on the shocks, and so far it turns out that it wasn't necessary.

On to the pictures!

Spring comparison:
20230521_170355.jpg

Some before shots:
20230521_151718.jpg

20230521_151730.jpg

And after:
20230521_191151.jpg

20230521_191141.jpg

And some photos showing wheel clearance. Fender guards and liners do not need to be modified, even with this wheel setup. From the front:

20230522_123102.jpg

Rear:
20230522_123119.jpg

Front, looking from the rear:
20230522_123130.jpg

Attachments

• 20230522_123102.jpg
    20230522_123102.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
Just to follow up regarding the aftermarket horns I bought - I will not be following through with the install. I realized that they did not come with a relay, so they probably won't sound much better than the current horns. If I do end up replacing them I'll probably go with a more established brand like Hella.

Back