"Mazda5 to be phased out for U.S. in 2015." - Automotive News

Shoot, why stop with Florida on the stereotypes? Why the whole south is full of dumb, ignorant, backwoods hillbillies and rednecks who think people from Mexico speak Mexican, and all of California is full of pinko commie leftist who doesn't know that Samuel Adams was more than just a beer.

I'm 95% sure the 2014 is the end of the line. :(

Oh what could have been though...

Here's a heartbreaking pic of what could have been. Imagine this with the 185 hp 2.5 liter Skyactiv engine... Damn it Mazda.

xmaJU4f.jpg
Already exists(ed). It's called the R-class and it failed miserably.

This forum has turned into a gossip group...

The whole south is full of dumb, ignorant, backwoods hillbillies and rednecks who think people from Mexico speak Mexican, and all of California is full of pinko commie leftist who doesn't know that Samuel Adams was more than just a beer.
You said it. (peep)

Also, yes, Cali is full of leftists. There's a reason why stereotypes are there. We also don't drink Sam Adams any more, in case you're wondering. Even the cholos have moved onto Shocktop and Blue Moon. (True story)

I once too judge products based on " name " and " country " status, but then wised up. I now judge products based on their merits, I don't care what country of origin they are from. I witnessed this first hand with guitar manufacturing. As some one has mentioned, in the 90's all Korean stuff was considered cheap. That is where many of the guitars that weren't gibsons and fenders were made at the time. Now Korean made guitars are considered nice guitars. Now everyone has moved production over to China, and the perception is that Chinese made guitars are inferior. Yet, for the last couple of years now, the Epiphone factory in China which is owned and ran by Gibson is putting out guitars that are excellent in fit, finish, and craftmanship. Those in the music industry have taken notice of Epiphones China factories rise in Quality Control, all the while, the Gibson plant in Tennessee has taken a beating in the music industry for the lack of Quality Control and decline in quality in the last few years. In the 70's Japanese guitars were considered inferior, by the 80's they were considered as good as their american equivalents, now they are collector items and go for as much or sometimes more than American made vintage guitars. Same evolution of peoples preceptions happened with cars in the last forty years. I don't care who builds it, as long as it is of good quality. It isn't like we are talking about who engineered it, we are talking about who turned the bolts and put the already engineered parts together. As long as the factory has top notch quality control the product will be fine.
Best. Comment. Ever. So are you ready to buy the US bound Chinese made car? This is why we have early adopters and late laggers. Im a late lagger and damn proud of it :D

I remember seeing a video Ford put out in the 80's, about how they had designed and were manufacturing a transmission that had a high percentage fail rate, but that their " competitor in Japan " ( which was Mazda ) who was licensed to use their design and manufactured the same transmissions in Japan, had a very low fail rate. Upon them inspecting the Ford transmission and the Mazda transmission, they found that the quality control was so tight and precise on the transmissions from Mazda compared to the trannys from Ford. They concluded that the since the design was the same, the parts were the same, the only thing that caused the high failure rate in the Ford transmissions were the poor quality control compared to the Mazda transmissions. Point is, it is always about quality control, and anyone can practice good quality control, it isn't exclusive to only certain groups of people.
Theres mention of this event in the Deming wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming
Deming's teachings and philosophy are clearly illustrated by examining the results they produced after they were adopted by Japanese industry, as the following example shows. Ford Motor Company was simultaneously manufacturing a car model with transmissions made in Japan and the United States. Soon after the car model was on the market, Ford customers were requesting the model with Japanese transmission over the US-made transmission, and they were willing to wait for the Japanese model. As both transmissions were made to the same specifications, Ford engineers could not understand the customer preference for the model with Japanese transmission. Finally, Ford engineers decided to take apart the two different transmissions. The American-made car parts were all within specified tolerance levels. On the other hand, the Japanese car parts were virtually identical to each other, and much closer to the nominal values for the parts e.g., if a part was supposed to be one foot long, plus or minus 1/8 of an inch then the Japanese parts were all within 1/16 of an inch, less variation. This made the Japanese cars run more smoothly and customers experienced fewer problems
Ref: ^ Aguayo, Rafael (1991). Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality. Fireside. pp. 4041.

And one just might jump to the conclusion that Ford that we know of today is getting better thanks to Deming. GM/Dodge/Chrysler turn him down.
Ford Motor Company was one of the first American corporations to seek help from Deming. In 1981, Ford's sales were falling. Between 1979 and 1982, Ford had incurred $3 billion in losses. Ford's newly appointed Corporate Quality Director, Larry Moore, was charged with recruiting Deming to help jump-start a quality movement at Ford.[23] Deming questioned the company's culture and the way its managers operated. To Ford's surprise, Deming talked not about quality but about management. He told Ford that management actions were responsible for 85% of all problems in developing better cars. In 1986, Ford came out with a profitable line of cars, the Taurus-Sable line. In a letter to Autoweek Magazine, Donald Petersen, then Ford chairman, said, "We are moving toward building a quality culture at Ford and the many changes that have been taking place here have their roots directly in Deming's teachings."[24] By 1986, Ford had become the most profitable American auto company. For the first time since the 1920s, its earnings had exceeded those of arch rival General Motors (GM). Ford had come to lead the American automobile industry in improvements. Ford's following years' earnings confirmed that its success was not a fluke, for its earnings continued to exceed GM and Chrysler's.
Ref: ^ Ford Embraces Six-Sigma Quality Goals. Accessed: 2006-07-31.

That is lovely, but with no sliding door it's just another wagon

Ouch.. I missed that. Good point. I still like it though. High roofed wagons are cool and Mazda doesn't have any wagon at all right now, so I'll take it.

Shoot, why stop with Florida on the stereotypes? Why the whole south is full of dumb, ignorant, backwoods hillbillies and rednecks who think people from Mexico speak Mexican, and all of California is full of pinko commie leftist who doesn't know that Samuel Adams was more than just a beer.

https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

Well this Cali Pinko Commie lived in Boston for 15 years and know both who Samuel Adams is and has been to the SA beer factory ( even though I don't drink that "Dirty Water") :)

Already exists(ed). It's called the R-class and it failed miserably.

This forum has turned into a gossip group...

Yep, I like the R-class. I know it's not a big seller here, but I wonder how it does in Europe? I guess well enough that they still make it at least.

You said it. (peep)

Also, yes, Cali is full of leftists. There's a reason why stereotypes are there. We also don't drink Sam Adams any more, in case you're wondering. Even the cholos have moved onto Shocktop and Blue Moon. (True story)

When I was at Berkeley, I was part of BCR (Berkeley College Republicans). I can't remember now, but I think there was 31,000 student body, and 5 of us during freshman year.

During Senior year our group "grew" to 9 people, albeit 2 were orange county blondes who were being republicans to spite their liberal parents..

Unlike all the other groups on campus, the student body didn't even gives us an official room to meet in, weekly

LOL

Back on topic....

Kinda sucks to see them discontinue the 5. Overall it was a fairly solid, affordable, responsible vehicle that could fit a lot of needs for a lot of people if they knew about it. I've had three of them myself. But after close to 10 years with no major changes there seem to be options out there that are more practical that what the current 5 has to offer. I get different cars every week for work rentals. There are a lot of innovative designs that help maximize interior space in some smaller packages improved driving dynamics, efficiency, better seating, infotainment systems,etc...

As an example of packaging and interior efficiency: We also have a 2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan. For the first time ever over Thanksgiving last year we took that car on a road trip instead of the 5. I was sure this would end up in disaster just trying to pack everything in the Sonic. I always felt the 5 had a LOT of room in the back with the 3rd row down and did great on trips. I quickly discovered the trunk on the Sonic is a few inches wider than the rear of the 5. It was also a few inches deeper. And the height of the trunk between the load floor to the top was about as high as the 5 was between the floor and the middle of the 2nd row headrests. It ended up being easier to pack everything in the trunk of the Sonic that is had been to stack everything in the rear of the 5. The trunk is effing huge for such a little car. I'm talking enough room for about 4 or 5 dead hookers depending on size.

So to my surprise, the Sonic replaced the 5 for the road trip vehicle of choice in our house. Effing huge trunk, good mileage, better stereo, comfy seats, nice driving, kids had enough room and were happy, etc... Basically I feel the current platform and packaging for the 5 has run its course. It is still a good vehicle but I think there are more efficient vehicles out there with regard to space, features and price that could easily replace it. Except the sliding doors that is. I'm going to miss the hell out of those. But I hope a modern version of the 5 comes out one day. Something that isn't bigger but is packaged better on the inside. Make more use of wasted space. Fix those uncomfortable ass seats. Bring in some of that Skyactiv mojo and features that rival the best that they can put in the 3 or the 6.

The main reason for me getting the 5 is the sliding doors. Without it, I wouldn't have gotten the 5.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

If you weren't, you should have been at least temporarily banned for being such a shallow dick head. You and 90210.

Mods, you need to wake up and restore some dignity where it's obviously been lost. This is disgraceful.

Robotaz, I was using hyperbole, sarcasm, and tongue and cheek, as an example of just how absurd and over the top they were getting with their stereotyping of Floridians. I live in Florida, grew up in the South and have been to Cali, I know the stereotypes are far from true for a good amount of southerners, Floridians, and Californians, it was all tongue and cheek to make a point. Sorry if anyone took me as serious, in context of the whole discussion, I assumed it would be obvious that my comment was dripping with sarcasm, tongue and cheek, and hyperbole, especially seeing that my profile to the left says that I am a Floridian.

Last edited:
Back on topic....

Kinda sucks to see them discontinue the 5. Overall it was a fairly solid, affordable, responsible vehicle that could fit a lot of needs for a lot of people if they knew about it. I've had three of them myself. But after close to 10 years with no major changes there seem to be options out there that are more practical that what the current 5 has to offer. I get different cars every week for work rentals. There are a lot of innovative designs that help maximize interior space in some smaller packages improved driving dynamics, efficiency, better seating, infotainment systems,etc...

As an example of packaging and interior efficiency: We also have a 2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan. For the first time ever over Thanksgiving last year we took that car on a road trip instead of the 5. I was sure this would end up in disaster just trying to pack everything in the Sonic. I always felt the 5 had a LOT of room in the back with the 3rd row down and did great on trips. I quickly discovered the trunk on the Sonic is a few inches wider than the rear of the 5. It was also a few inches deeper. And the height of the trunk between the load floor to the top was about as high as the 5 was between the floor and the middle of the 2nd row headrests. It ended up being easier to pack everything in the trunk of the Sonic that is had been to stack everything in the rear of the 5. The trunk is effing huge for such a little car. I'm talking enough room for about 4 or 5 dead hookers depending on size.

So to my surprise, the Sonic replaced the 5 for the road trip vehicle of choice in our house. Effing huge trunk, good mileage, better stereo, comfy seats, nice driving, kids had enough room and were happy, etc... Basically I feel the current platform and packaging for the 5 has run its course. It is still a good vehicle but I think there are more efficient vehicles out there with regard to space, features and price that could easily replace it. Except the sliding doors that is. I'm going to miss the hell out of those. But I hope a modern version of the 5 comes out one day. Something that isn't bigger but is packaged better on the inside. Make more use of wasted space. Fix those uncomfortable ass seats. Bring in some of that Skyactiv mojo and features that rival the best that they can put in the 3 or the 6.

Not really sure how to reply to this if you think the Sonic is in any way better than the 5. It's got 47 cu ft of cargo space with it's rear seat folded down. 3 more cubic feet than the 5 has with ONLY the 3rd row down. With the 2nd row folded, the 5 has 97+ cubic feet of cargo room. Not really in the same class there. The 5 was redesigned in 2010 and refreshed in 2012, so it's not a 10 year old design BTW, but I agree with you that it's not comparable with the newest stuff when it comes to ICE (in car entertainment), but that is actually one of the reasons I chose it oddly enough. Every car I've driven with a touch screen for everything has been pretty annoying. Until Apple Car Play or the Android system (maybe) is in every car, I want nothing to do with more modern car interfaces, because they are all atrocious and unresponsive. I like the 5's simple system that keeps my eyes on the road instead of buried 4 menus deep on a 7" color LCD looking for something while I drive into a tree hahaha.. The 5 does everything I need it to, no need to reinvent the wheel here, unless you're going to make a better wheel. As far as I can tell, the only one who may have done that yet is Apple.

Back to the Sonic, I'm sure it's great, but the Sonic is based on a Daewoo Korean economy car and has a prehistoric torsion beam rear suspension. It doesn't sound like a bad car, but it's based on older technology than the 5 and it doesn't represent any kind of new innovation over the 5. At all. There is literally not a single thing about it that is "more modern" than the 5, except maybe the more adventurous styling. I have a feeling once the "newness" of it wears off you'd realize the 5 is the better, more sophisitcated car. I use different cars from time to time, so I understand where you're at. Something different often seems fresh and new and "better" even if it really isn't. You haven't had a chance to see all it's warts yet. There's nothing extraordinary about the Sonic at all, trust me. It does get better MPG though (not hard when you're 800 lbs lighter haha). If you enjoy it, that's all that matters, but it's not a good example of something more modern or advanced than the 5, because it just isn't. There are other cars that are, but it's not one of them.

The only cars I'm aware of that are in the same class as the 5 and offer more modern solutions without compromising interior room or handling, are MPV's not sold in the U.S. Here everything else that is newer or "better" than the 5 is either an SUV with less room or much worse handling (or both) or a giant aircraft carrier of a minivan that costs $12k more, weighs 1000 lbs more and drives like a barge. That's why when I bought a car recently after 6 months of research, I still chose a 5. There are perhaps better cars of similar design that don't compromise, but none of them are for sale in the U.S. sadly, so I took the best one I could get.

Last edited:
The 5 was not redesigned in 2010. It's still the same car underneath as the 2006. 2008 had a minor refresh and 2021/MY2012 (US) was a major refresh but that was just exterior. Interior received a tweaked dashboard but seats and everything else remained the same. There were no major architectural changes on the second Gen. It's still Ford C1 underneath.

Not really sure how to reply to this if you think the Sonic is in any way better than the 5. It's got 47 cu ft of cargo space with it's rear seat folded down. 3 more cubic feet than the 5 has with ONLY the 3rd row down. With the 2nd row folded, the 5 has 97+ cubic feet of cargo room. Not really in the same class there. The 5 was redesigned in 2010 and refreshed in 2012, so it's not a 10 year old design BTW, but I agree with you that it's not comparable with the newest stuff when it comes to ICE (in car entertainment), but that is actually one of the reasons I chose it oddly enough. Every car I've driven with a touch screen for everything has been pretty annoying. Until Apple Car Play or the Android system (maybe) is in every car, I want nothing to do with more modern car interfaces, because they are all atrocious and unresponsive. I like the 5's simple system that keeps my eyes on the road instead of buried 4 menus deep on a 7" color LCD looking for something while I drive into a tree hahaha.. The 5 does everything I need it to, no need to reinvent the wheel here, unless you're going to make a better wheel. As far as I can tell, the only one who may have done that yet is Apple.

Back to the Sonic, I'm sure it's great, but the Sonic is based on a Daewoo Korean economy car and has a prehistoric torsion beam rear suspension. It doesn't sound like a bad car, but it's based on older technology than the 5 and it doesn't represent any kind of new innovation over the 5. At all. There is literally not a single thing about it that is "more modern" than the 5, except maybe the more adventurous styling. I have a feeling once the "newness" of it wears off you'd realize the 5 is the better, more sophisitcated car. I use different cars from time to time, so I understand where you're at. Something different often seems fresh and new and "better" even if it really isn't. You haven't had a chance to see all it's warts yet. There's nothing extraordinary about the Sonic at all, trust me. It does get better MPG though (not hard when you're 800 lbs lighter haha). If you enjoy it, that's all that matters, but it's not a good example of something more modern or advanced than the 5, because it just isn't. There are other cars that are, but it's not one of them.

The only cars I'm aware of that are in the same class as the 5 and offer more modern solutions without compromising interior room or handling, are MPV's not sold in the U.S. Here everything else that is newer or "better" than the 5 is either an SUV with less room or much worse handling (or both) or a giant aircraft carrier of a minivan that costs $12k more, weighs 1000 lbs more and drives like a barge. That's why when I bought a car recently after 6 months of research, I still chose a 5. There are perhaps better cars of similar design that don't compromise, but none of them are for sale in the U.S. sadly, so I took the best one I could get.

Based on prices I found, The Sienna is around $23k for L(7 seat) , $27 for LE(8 seat) . The Mazda5 would be around $18k for the Sport automatic. The L is pretty stripped, but the LE has some nice features like power sliding doors, backup camera, and roof rails, items not available on the 5 in any package or option. The backup camera will be on the base package in 2018,and I don't plan to buy a new car until after then anyway. My 2013 Mazda5 has powertrain warranty until the next decade.

The 5 was not redesigned in 2010. It's still the same car underneath as the 2006. 2008 had a minor refresh and 2021/MY2012 (US) was a major refresh but that was just exterior. Interior received a tweaked dashboard but seats and everything else remained the same. There were no major architectural changes on the second Gen. It's still Ford C1 underneath.

The second generation 5/Premacy (2005 - 2010 was built on the Mazda BK platform, which was based on the C1 platform shared with the Volvo S/V40, V50, C70, Ford Focus, and first gen C-Max.

The third generation 5/Premacy 2010+ is built on the Mazda CW platform, which is based on the "Global C" platform, which is the successor to the C1 platform, which underpins the 2nd gen Ford C-Max, the Lincoln MKZ and Ford Transit Connect.

The third generation Mazda 5/Premacy is built on a different platform than the second gen. It has a longer wheelbase, a different powertrain and a completely different interior and exterior. The name stayed the same though and I'm sure some parts transferred over, but the vast majority of the parts for the second gen 5/Premacy are not compatible with the third gen. It meets every definition of a "redesign" or different platform that I've ever heard of.

Back