Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Opps, I ‘meant’ TRIP in terms of MPG, not odometer. I meant to ask if/how do you adjust the OEM MPG computer for the large diameter wheel size.

I don't. My taller aftermarket wheels/tires are closer to the actual dimensions used by the speedometer/odometer, so my speedometer is more accurate now. I assume, but don't know for sure, that the trip computer uses the same parameters.

BTW, I traded in my stock 17" wheels/tires to the dealer when I bought the car.

Another fill-up after about 1,800 miles on my 2012 Mazda5 GT:

Miles.............213.1
Gallons............14.206
MPG................15.00
Trip Computer...15.3

This is only the second tank (in about 8-9 total) where the trip computer was higher than my actual mpg.

Again, I drive a lot of short, city streets trips over hilly terrain. This tank I wasn't very "judicious" with the throttle. (laugh)

Ouch. I'm slowly retraining the wife to drive more conservatively. Since we live in an area that requires us to drive the interstate for everything, she's started keeping her speed to ≤70 mph. Our average mpg increased from 26 to 29+. Our fluctuations has been marginal compared to others like Robotaz, and I attribute it to us topping off the tank to the point where we can't put no mo' in.

Ouch. I'm slowly retraining the wife to drive more conservatively. Since we live in an area that requires us to drive the interstate for everything, she's started keeping her speed to ≤70 mph. Our average mpg increased from 26 to 29+...
Unfortunately, for the past 47 years I've thought I was A.J. Foyt - - if there are ANY cars ahead of me my goal is to pass them. On a cross-country trip back in the early '70s I started out cruising at 85-95 and no one passed me for the first 1,000 miles. Somewhere in the Rockies I saw someone in my rear view mirror closing the gap. I upped the ante to 100, then 105, but got passed anyway - - not by one car, but a caravan of about six. The weird thing was the vehicles were totally different, with different state plates, and all looked different, like an old couple, a couple young guys, a hippie-type, a "business man," etc. Very unnerving. (boom08)

I want to get a shift light that turns on at 2,500 RPM. Unfortunately this means I'll be seeing a bit of this light above 80km/h...

2012 Mazda5 GT:

After 2,000 miles...latest tank:

196.0 miles
11.32 gallons (early fill)
17.31 mpg
15.6 per trip computer

2012 Mazda5 GT:

After 2,000 miles...latest tank:

196.0 miles
11.32 gallons (early fill)
17.31 mpg
15.6 per trip computer

Wow thats not that great. Just for reference, what was your last car and how did that do real world vs. EPA numbers on economy?

FWIW I'm pretty sure the trip computers these days calculate the amount of fuel used based on the injector duty cycle and the number of miles traveled. This way there is no interpreting error on fuel usage, its coming right from the ECU and is about as accurate as it can be.

First two fill-ups.

Miles - Fill-up - MPG
295 - 10.2 - ~29 (mixed road conditions where I'd avg ~21 with my previous car V6+mods)
218 - 09.1 - ~24 (mostly highway at less than ideal speed and a NY traffic jam+detour)

Did 3 more fill-ups on various driving conditions: 25, 24, 24 MPG (rounded). Not great but livable numbers. Highway cruising and ac really taxes the engine.

For our vehicles, does anyone know if it is best to have the windows up and A/C on, or A/C off and windows down for best fuel economy when cruising on the highway? I searched the web, but it seems that the engine size compared to vehicle weight plays a large roll. I have just started using the A/C in my 2010 that I bought last fall.

Wow thats not that great. Just for reference, what was your last car and how did that do real world vs. EPA numbers on economy?

FWIW I'm pretty sure the trip computers these days calculate the amount of fuel used based on the injector duty cycle and the number of miles traveled. This way there is no interpreting error on fuel usage, its coming right from the ECU and is about as accurate as it can be.
My last vehicle was a 2007 CX-9 GT FWD. I was getting about 13.5 mpg with it. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I mostly drive hilly city streets with some freeways occasionally. Unfortunately, I live at the top of a fairly large hill, so any errands are first downhill, then uphill.

For our vehicles, does anyone know if it is best to have the windows up and A/C on, or A/C off and windows down for best fuel economy when cruising on the highway? I searched the web, but it seems that the engine size compared to vehicle weight plays a large roll. I have just started using the A/C in my 2010 that I bought last fall.

Most everyone will tell you to drive with windows up and AC on. It's not just weight, but also aerodynamics that plays a role. The difference you get between whether you use AC or not just depends and I doubt if it would be significant. You paid for the AC, you should use it.
I don't know..maybe it's just me..I don't have an oil tanker outside where I can get fuel when I want, but come on people. Just drive the car properly and keep it tuned and consider this well known fact: YMMV!! I drive my 5 at 75mph and and 65mph. I track mileage on fueleconomy.gov and the lowest mileage I've gotten was 312 miles on a full tank. I drive with the AC on. And I've said it before and I'll say it again..you only have 153 (or 156) HP to move an almost 3500 pound vehicle..if you drive a mixed loop regularly you won't get the mileage you want; and also consider if there are others driving the vehicle.

Below 40km/h, windows down. Above 60km/h, A/C. between 40 to 60, probably equal.

I use the A/C almost year round; or at least the A/C light is on when I use the auto HVAC. its the only way to keep the windows from fogging up.
I can't drive w/ the windows down about maybe 25mph. I can't deal w/ the wind buffeting noise. and sorry, but hot humid wind is no substitute for low humidity cool air in a quiet cabin.

We just finished a ~1600 mile round trip between southwest IL and Sea Grove Beach, FL; two adults, two children and a car load of stuff. We also had 2.5 bikes on our trailer hitch rack, a/c was continually used in heat that was consistently in the mid to upper 90s, while the terrain wouldn't be characterized as mountainous, it was definitely hilly, cruise control was set mostly in the 72-75 MPG range -- we averaged about 26.5ish MPG (high tank was 32 MPG, low was 24), which i consider good considering all the stuff we were carrying along with the additional factors of heat and terrain. Wind direction really came into play as a critical factor for fuel economy.

I want to get a shift light that turns on at 2,500 RPM. Unfortunately this means I'll be seeing a bit of this light above 80km/h...

my old '86 GTI had a shift light that would only come on when you COULD upshift; it wouldn't come on in 5th gear. I'm sure other cars w/ shift lights wouldn't indicate for you to do something it was impossible to do :)

I have gone through several tanks now with similar results. The fill-up today shows that I got 390 miles from 13 gallons. On my last road trip when I used A/C for about 50 miles, I got 360 miles from 13 gallons. Now that the gas price is down a bit ($3.89 as of today), I feel more relieved. Will continue to drive at 65 or below to keep the good MPG, even if Priuses begin to pass me from the left and right. :D

One tank doesn't show a trend.

On the other hand, after tracking our mpg with acar (droid) for months now my wife's typical driving nets around 20.5mpg. That's a huge improvement over the 14.5-15 our old 2001 Chrysler van got for the same driving pattern. With gas @ $3.90/gallon that's over $70/month savings for us.

Back