Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

First two fill-ups.

Miles - Fill-up - MPG
295 - 10.2 - ~29 (mixed road conditions where I'd avg ~21 with my previous car V6+mods)
218 - 09.1 - ~24 (mostly highway at less than ideal speed and a NY traffic jam+detour)

^^ Hmm...notice anything strange about those numbers? 29 is too high for mixed and 24 is way to low for mostly highway. I can't believe I'm the only person who complains about the fuel mileage being impossible to accurately calculate in this car.

First two fill-ups.

Miles - Fill-up - MPG
295 - 10.2 - ~29 (mixed road conditions where I'd avg ~21 with my previous car V6+mods)
218 - 09.1 - ~24 (mostly highway at less than ideal speed and a NY traffic jam+detour)
You state "mostly highway at less than ideal speed..." Does this mean mostly highway driving at less than 45 mph? 43-45 mph steady driving would net you the highest mpg as this is where the trans upshifts to 5th (assuming the automatic). Speeds above the mid-40s incur more wind drag and therefore lower mpg.

Another thought...due to differences in tank fill-ups from different gas stations, different pumps (shut-off mechanisms), and differences in your fill-up techniques for the two fill-ups, a one gallon shift from tank #2 to tank #1 would result in higher mpg for tank #2. It's very difficult to accurately compare just two tanks of gas.

^^ Hmm...notice anything strange about those numbers? 29 is too high for mixed and 24 is way to low for mostly highway. I can't believe I'm the only person who complains about the fuel mileage being impossible to accurately calculate in this car.

There may be something in the design of the filler neck that causes some pumps to shut off sooner and others later, but if you just average your mpg over many tanks it minimizes the possible error.

There may be something in the design of the filler neck that causes some pumps to shut off sooner and others later, but if you just average your mpg over many tanks it minimizes the possible error.

I always top off my vehicles to the point where it's almost overflowing, maybe this is why I get consistent figures (25.5-29 mpg).

Brought over my Scangauge2 from my other car, which btw threw a CEL at first. Had to set the engine size properly and reconnect. Will have to calibrate it with the next two fill-ups or so but look forward to observing the car’s fuel consumption behavior.

Brought over my Scangauge2 from my other car, which btw threw a CEL at first. Had to set the engine size properly and reconnect. Will have to calibrate it with the next two fill-ups or so but look forward to observing the car’s fuel consumption behavior.
The trip computer in my 2012 has been pessimistic every tank except one (through 1,600 miles); usually it reads low by 0.6-1.0 mpg.

You state "mostly highway at less than ideal speed..." Does this mean mostly highway driving at less than 45 mph? 43-45 mph steady driving would net you the highest mpg as this is where the trans upshifts to 5th (assuming the automatic). Speeds above the mid-40s incur more wind drag and therefore lower mpg.
The opposite. Let's just say this was NJ turnpike and I'm cruising at 3500-4000 RPM in a manual (evil)

Another thought...due to differences in tank fill-ups from different gas stations, different pumps (shut-off mechanisms), and differences in your fill-up techniques for the two fill-ups, a one gallon shift from tank #2 to tank #1 would result in higher mpg for tank #2. It's very difficult to accurately compare just two tanks of gas.
I agree. There are many conditions that affect observed MPG. Just posting for reference. I've rented the auto Mz5 on 3 week-long occasions and avg <20 fun-filled MPGs (nana)

The trip computer in my 2012 has been pessimistic every tank except one (through 1,600 miles); usually it reads low by 0.6-1.0 mpg.
Is there an option to calibrate the OEM trip/MPG computer? How would you adjust for aftermarket wheels –which I think you have. Maybe I’m a glass half empty kinda guy but I rather computer be pessimistic than optimistic.

Is there an option to calibrate the OEM trip/MPG computer? How would you adjust for aftermarket wheels which I think you have...
Different tire sizes won't affect the trip computer, per se, as the computer calculates distance based on the number of axle/wheel revolutions, not the actual distance traveled. The upshot is:

...Auto manufacturers program most cars (speedometers/odometers/trip computers) to read "optimistic" by 2-3%. This means if your speedo reads 50 mph you're probably doing an actual 48.5-49.0 mph - - to keep you on the safe side of the law, etc.

...When your odometer reads 50,000 miles, you've really only gone about 48,500-49,000 miles.

...Thus, your MPG calculations are generally optimistic by 2-3% because you really haven't driven quite as far as you thought.

I lucked out with my aftermarket wheels/tires (225/40-18) because my speedometer is close to dead on, as confirmed by carefully observing my speedo when driving by several different roadside radar displays. So, even though my tire size results in accurate speedometer readings, the trip computer's average MPG computations are still off. I agree, it would be nice to fine-tune the trip computer's average MPG computations, but I won't hold my breath for that. (yawn)

Not quite sure I understand your explanation here as the distance traveled is directly proportional to the revs/mile X tire circumference. A different size tire will affect your trip computer calculations as the multiplier will be off with any size not matching stock tire circumference.

Not quite sure I understand your explanation here as the distance traveled is directly proportional to the revs/mile X tire circumference. A different size tire will affect your trip computer calculations as the multiplier will be off with any size not matching stock tire circumference.

(iagree)

What I mean is the relationship between speedometer/odometer readings and your trip computer results will remain constant without regard to tire circumference, because all three are calculating distance based on axle revolutions, not the distance covered with each revolution.

The ACTUAL mpg you achieve will likely improve with a larger tire but the trip computer won't show any change because it's just comparing gasoline usage versus axle revolutions. Built into the algorithym is the stock tire circumference, but the trip computer can't detect if you mounted taller or shorter tires - - same with your odometer. So, if you've mounted a taller tire (like I have) you will actually travel further than your odometer and trip computer think, meaning your actual mpg will be slightly better than reported.

Keep in mind what I pointed out earlier, that the built-in optimism of your speedometer/odometer with stock tires means your actual mpg is worse than you calculate, because your car didn't really travel as far as the odometer reflects.

Clear as mud? (scratch)(lol)

What I mean is the relationship between speedometer/odometer readings and your trip computer results will remain constant without regard to tire circumference, because all three are calculating distance based on axle revolutions, not the distance covered with each revolution.

That makes sense, based on the context of your response to Silentnoise713, I thought you were discrediting the fact that tire size affected the trip computer (I think of odometer, maybe you are speaking more of the mpg computer?).

Keep in mind that the mpg computer must calculate fuel using engine load as well, so if it takes more energy to turn a larger tire even though you've traveled further per rev, you still consumed slightly more fuel to turn the larger tire. Not saying it's a wash, but your mpg computer calculation isn't based on one input parameter like the odometer.

Keep in mind that the mpg computer must calculate fuel using engine load as well...

While this is true for the "instantaneous" mpg readout, I have assumed the AVERAGE mpg readout takes the beginning (after reset) gasoline level in the tank minus the current gasoline level to determine the gallons used, then dividing that into the miles traveled since reset. This is certainly the easiest way for it to get average mpg. Anyone disagree?

Regardless of how the average mpg is calculated, I'd never rely on it unless you can input actual fuel usage instead of perceived from the fuel gauge since it is possible to overfill the tank. The float in the tank can only travel up and down so much, so any fuel amount above and below that travel will go uncalculated. I must admit that the fuel gauge in this car seems to be the most accurate as far as needle movement speed goes, but it's still only an approximate indicator and not exact.

The float in the tank can only travel up and down so much, so any fuel amount above and below that travel will go uncalculated...
Maybe that's why I'm always getting better than the trip computer readout. I tend to fill up pretty close to the brim.

Different tire sizes won't affect the trip computer, per se, as the computer calculates distance based on the number of axle/wheel revolutions, not the actual distance traveled. The upshot is:

...Auto manufacturers program most cars (speedometers/odometers/trip computers) to read "optimistic" by 2-3%. This means if your speedo reads 50 mph you're probably doing an actual 48.5-49.0 mph - - to keep you on the safe side of the law, etc.Opps, just realize I tyupe

...When your odometer reads 50,000 miles, you've really only gone about 48,500-49,000 miles.

...Thus, your MPG calculations are generally optimistic by 2-3% because you really haven't driven quite as far as you thought.

I lucked out with my aftermarket wheels/tires (225/40-18) because my speedometer is close to dead on, as confirmed by carefully observing my speedo when driving by several different roadside radar displays. So, even though my tire size results in accurate speedometer readings, the trip computer's average MPG computations are still off. I agree, it would be nice to fine-tune the trip computer's average MPG computations, but I won't hold my breath for that. (yawn)
Opps, I ‘meant’ TRIP in terms of MPG, not odometer. I meant to ask if/how do you adjust the OEM MPG computer for the large diameter wheel size.

Two simple tests. With your current setup, use a GPS to check how far off your actual speed is. Next Swap on your stock wheels and check with GPS to see how your MPG differ. I agree that the avg readout from the computer is not very useful or as accurate as you can do with simple math but the instantaneous readout is very useful as it reminds you how heavy you are with your foot. I suspect you do more mid to highway cruising speeds where the added weight (ADR is not exactly a top teir brand) is less of a factor as it would if you do more stop and go.

Something like this will show the variance due to wheel diameter that the computer will not know in its effort to calc MPG. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

With the Scangauage2, http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGIIManual.pdf - page 16 describes how to adjust for speed difference. Just wondering if the 2012 Mz5 (or any OEM car) can adjust for it or do you have to make your own margin of error.

Back