Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

my best has been around 25mpg but on average been getting 22mpg with A/T. I'm hoping that the Fujita CAI will help out with the MPG

I wouldn't count on a CAI helping with MPG. It might sound nice though. The biggest thing is probably to not drive over 60 MPH very often the way the gearing is in these things.

I'd be interested in finding out more about the trip 5phreak. (how you got 28 MPG)

I'd be interested in finding out more about the trip 5phreak. (how you got 28 MPG)

28MPG is definitely doable. We made 28.3 with 4 adults on 55 &60MPH posted 2 lane windy highways. And believe me, my wife liked the Zoom-Zoom on those corners! This was with only 300 miles on the car as well. Since then, it's turning a solid 25MPG in 50/50 mixed winter driving. We haven't been able to do an Interstate Trip, but I think with the cruise set at 70-ish, 27-28MPG should be about right for our 5. I am running a little extra air in the tires (38lbs on the OEM rims and 40lbs on the winter tires) If it were just my wife's 70/30 HWY 60MPH commute, I think we would be at about 30MPG, but can't quite verify, as the new car gets driven everywhere.

I wouldn't count on a CAI helping with MPG. It might sound nice though. The biggest thing is probably to not drive over 60 MPH very often the way the gearing is in these things.

all highway door to door, almost no back roads and I used the cruise control for about 25% of the trip.

around town this winter I'm not even getting 21 mpg.

Sounds good! I'm pretty excited about it. We have only put 10 gallons through it. 240+ miles and about 120 of those miles were with tires that only had about 21 PSI in them. I should be up around 40 PSI now, but I'll have to check them to make sure they aren't going down.

For the people that have 18 inch wheels, what kind of gas mileage have you been getting? Because I such got a set of 18s and I didnt think that it was going to make that big of difference but I went from right around 21 mpg to at around 16 and I dont know if it was just crappy gas or what, I was hoping that this was the case and that the 18s didnt make that big of difference. I am running 18s with 225/40 tires. What are your opinions on this?

My guess is that the unsprung weight of the 18's compared to the OEM wheels might be higher thus affecting your mileage. I changed to lighter wheels on my old car once and I could instantly feel the improvement in the steering and had much better mileage later.

6 Speed diesel is availible in europe....

Its gets
38/49

With todays prices that kind of pisses me off its not availible here.....

http://www.mazda.co.uk/

If I Drive nicely, not over 100 km/h and dont use the throttle to hard on start, My Mazda 5 Diesel runs 35,49mils pr gallon

correct me if I calculate this wrong..
15 km pr Liter..

If i Throttle is.. 13 km pr Liter - 30,76miles pr gallon..

Ohh and in Denmark.
1. Liter Petrol 95 Orktan = 2 dollar!!
1. Liter Diesel = 1,82 Dollar!!

Last edited:
Mileage is getting better after the 08 engine settle-in I guess.... 23.7MPG Around 50%/50% Town/Highway...

I had my first high mileage tank yesterday. I tried to take the trip at 55-60 MPH as much as possible. I've notice the cruise doesn't like little short steep hills.

152.3 miles / 5.2 gallons = 29.3 MPG. Pretty excited about that because there was a little bit of city driving in there too. I guess I'll get a Scangauge2 pretty soon. That should help me learn a little.

I just finished my forth tank of Gas. I did 548km with 52L of gas.
9.5L/100km. Very good in gas with 2.3L engine and the size of the MZ5.

Winter Driving - Mountain Road's

Just back from our snowboarding trip to the B.C. Interior.

I put 1145kms on the 5 with 2 tanks of gas. Gas used was 105 litres. Average 9.2L/100kms.

We were pretty loaded up in the trunk (suitcase, playpen, groceries, booze, bag of snowboarding gear and kids toys), we had the roof box on (filled with snowboards, snowshoes, helmets and boots) and we were on a windy mountain highway for part and cruising at 120km/hr (75mph) where we could.

I think that is quite impressive.

06 Mazda 5, Auto, 42,xxx miles so far.

Gas mileage hasn't increased or decreased since I bought it brand new.

On the highway I average around 29 MPG's. City driving I average about 21 MPG's.

For the people that have 18 inch wheels, what kind of gas mileage have you been getting? Because I such got a set of 18s and I didnt think that it was going to make that big of difference but I went from right around 21 mpg to at around 16 and I dont know if it was just crappy gas or what, I was hoping that this was the case and that the 18s didnt make that big of difference. I am running 18s with 225/40 tires. What are your opinions on this?

well, 225/40/18 is the same overall diameter as stock so it won't affect anything in that sense, but if the wheels are heavier and the tires are heavier it could make a difference. What wheels and tires are they?

just did 90% on highway and 10% on city. I got 627km when the light come on. My MZ5 has total of 4500km now.

anybody here post their fuel economy information here?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

I like how it shows sticker fuel guesstimates and then allows others to post what they get -- also allows users to store cars and record fuel economy.

2005 Touring Edition. AT. Stock. She drives with a heavy foot.
Mixed Rush Hour driving 80% highway / 20% city

12.275 Gallons
314 Miles
25.6 MPG
$0.115 per mile
$36.20 to fill-up

This all equals 4 days of driving to/from work.

2005 Touring Edition. AT. Stock. She drives with a heavy foot.
Mixed Rush Hour driving 80% highway / 20% city

12.275 Gallons
314 Miles
25.6 MPG
$0.115 per mile
$36.20 to fill-up

This all equals 4 days of driving to/from work.

your gas is 50 cents cheaper than ours. (per gallon)

Back