Mazda5 rattling like noise from the front right

Hi,

We replaced both lower control arms (which were making noise and were completely gone) and that noise is now gone.

What we have now is a rattling like noise from the front right. Tie rods and stabilizer links are solid with no play.

I am suspecting strut mounts ( 257.000km on the Mazda 5) but I also found the top engine mounting is broken and leaking oil. Could this be the reason for the noise? I appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.

Yes to all of those. Suspension noise can be tough to track down, but I've found that if I'm going in to the front suspension on an FWD car, it's always easiest to just try to replace everything short of the springs & struts if they're in good shape. Strut top bearings, LCA's, tie rod ends, sway bar end links and bushings - they all have a pretty similar lifespan usually, and that way you get the whole end of the car done, get an alignment at the end (instead of needing an alignment after replacing each one of those individually), and then they aren't a concern for a while.

As for the engine mount, it could certainly be the culprit too - anything that causes the suspension to load up could also cause the engine to shift and something to hit or rattle with a bad mount

Ok I was not aware of the strut top bearings, aren’t they part of the whole strut mount assembly?

Thank you.
The strut mount is generally a replaceable part from the assembly:
(Around 1min36sec in)

Hi,

We replaced both lower control arms (which were making noise and were completely gone) and that noise is now gone.

What we have now is a rattling like noise from the front right. Tie rods and stabilizer links are solid with no play.

I am suspecting strut mounts ( 257.000km on the Mazda 5) but I also found the top engine mounting is broken and leaking oil. Could this be the reason for the noise? I appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.
Mounts could be the issue - however I had the same issue (front right “clunk” over bumps, specifically) and after replacing all engine and trans mounts - it kept going.

Check your bushings. EVERYwhere on the front right.

If you have the same “clunk” that I did going over decent sized road inconsistencies with the front right only, it could very well be a bushing issue. I tested by hitting recessed sewer grates with either left or right under acceleration, braking and coasting. Both turning into/out of the grate and heading directly over. Only happened on the right, happened WORSE when accelerating and turning in/out.

Back