Mazda5 parts sharing with Volvos and other European cars

:
BMW M3 / Mazda5
As soon as it became clear that I was going to buy a Mazda5, I knew I wanted to leverage its platform sharing with Volvo and any other parts compatibility with European cars.

Partly, this was to gain access to a broader variety of aftermarket alternatives (wasn't sure what was out there).

Mainly, though, it was to allow me to buy parts from FCP Euro, which offers a lifetime guarantee on literally everything they sell that can physically be returned – including wear items and consumables like brakes, wiper blades, and lubricants. This has been a game changer for my BMW M3. Significant cost savings, and minimal hand-wringing over quality as they generally don't carry junk. I wanted the same for the Mazda5, as much as possible.

So, I started a list of parts shared or compatible between this car and European cars. When searching for a part I need, I look up aftermarket options to see if their applications lists include any European cars as well as this one. If so, I add it to the list. Because I haven't yet seen anything comparable online, I figured I'd post mine.

Things to note:

1. If you make any use of this list, do so at your own risk. I am not an expert in any way relevant to this. I do not have access to any relevant information that isn't widely available. None of this should be taken as advice about what to do with your car.

2. In some of these cases, there might be parts that are compatible but different enough from OE to matter. I try to note those when I find them, but I will never be able to know I got everything, so please keep that in mind.

3. Where a model year isn't listed for the Volvos, you can assume it's the range of model years that includes 2010.

4. Not all compatible platforms are listed. As soon as I found a cross-reference that'd allow me to buy a compatible part from FCP Euro, I pretty much stopped there and didn't look for other compatible platforms. For some of these parts, there is a long list of other compatible cars, so I won't even try to list all of them.

5. At the bottom of this post is a "compatibility fails" section for items that seemed to be cross-compatible based on catalogs but turned out not to be.

I will edit this post as I find new crossover parts and other information. In the meantime, please chime in with any additions and corrections!

FRONT SUSPENSION

Struts
Compatible w/ Volvo S40, V50, C30
Volvo & Mazda OE damper valving may differ; aftermarket options are more likely to be the same for all applications (check part numbers to be sure).

Strut Mounts
Volvo-compatible ones won't have the alignment pins, and thus should be interchangeable between left and right.

Anti-Roll Bar End Links
Compatible w/ Volvo S40, V50, C30.

REAR SUSPENSION

Shock Mounts
There are at least two styles of bushing and IDK which models came with the same style as ours (four raised bumps in a + formation), or whether the other style(s) would work.

Bump Stops
Compatible w/ Volkswagen Mk. IV Golf (w/ comfort suspension) and Jetta.

Trailing Arm Bushing (trailing arm to body)
Not sure if there are any internal differences.

Upper Control Arms

Lateral Arms

Anti-Roll Bar End Links
Must select the version for vertical mounting end tabs. Apparently some Volvos had horizontal.

BRAKES

Front Pads
Volvo and Mazda OE pad compounds might differ but fitment will be the same.

Rear Pads
Compatible w/ Volvo S40, V50, C30 (must have the springs on top)
Volvo and Mazda OE pad compounds might differ but fitment will be the same.

Caliper Guide Pins
Compatible w/ Volvo S40, V50, C30 – and, apparently, 2008-2013 BMW M3

MISC.

Front Wiper Blades
Some crossover w/ BMW & Mercedes; not sure what models. I went with Valeo PNs 604487 (26") and 604479 (16").

Rear Wiper Blade
Some crossover w/ 2015-2022 Land Rover Discovery Sport. I went with Bosch H309.

Engine Oil Drain Plug
Should be compatible with most/all 14mm x 1.50 drain plugs. Lots of European cars use these, though some have Allen heads with smaller flanges. Might be trying an Audi/VW drain plug at the next oil change; will report back if that works.

Fuel Cap
If your 5 has the non-threaded style cap (Mazda PN BNYF-42-250), it cross-references with Volvo S40/V50/C30. If you have a threaded cap (Mazda PN DR61-42-250B), it cross-references with other Volvos using Volvo PN 31392044.

COMPATIBILITY FAILS

None to report so far. (thought I had one but figured it out)

Last edited:
KYB has a FANTSATIC catalogue with VERY detail specs. Using OE shocks/struts as the basis, you will find what may/may not work comparing to a different car in mind.

Also, follow specs, not part numbers -at least not 100%.

This is really helpful, thanks!

By chance, have you run across whether motor mounts (or motors themselves) are compatible with any of the Volvo/Ford variants of the C1 platform?

This is really helpful, thanks!

By chance, have you run across whether motor mounts (or motors themselves) are compatible with any of the Volvo/Ford variants of the C1 platform?
Search for the "e-Focus" engine mount. I can't remember which mount it is, but it's supposedly much firmer than ours (for a heavier powertrain) and noticeably reduces powertrain movement (especially noticeable with MT) at the cost of slightly more noise/vibration at certain RPMs.

Search for the "e-Focus" engine mount. I can't remember which mount it is, but it's supposedly much firmer than ours (for a heavier powertrain) and noticeably reduces powertrain movement (especially noticeable with MT) at the cost of slightly more noise/vibration at certain RPMs.
That's very interesting since I was actually asking because I've been trying to find out how compatible the mounting setup is so I could swap in an electric Focus drivetrain.

Back