Mazda5 ECU / Engine swap / Tuning options?

I have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport 2.5L with a shiftable automatic trans, and I was wondering if there was a way I could make more power out of the roughly 150 HP I get, various forums are very vague in regards to being able to tune or swap anything in this vehicle. I know I could just get a Mazdaspeed 3 for a fast car, but I want to make a sleeper out of my minivan. Give any suggestions you have, I'm running bone stock internals aside from an aftermarket engine air filter from K&N (much rather just use a cleaning solution than keep dumping 20-something bucks every couple months on air filters) anything to fortify or enhance this car will help, thanks! (Also don't worry about entertainment or audio, I'm building on those in the future. Stock stereo and speakers sound just fine)

Nothing more than a few HP here or there. It's tuned for maximum MPG. If you go with a different "tune" you will lose MPG and probably won't gain much more than a bit of throttle response.

Most "performance" products sold actually hurt performance by confusing the ECU's metering algorithms.

Unless you swap on a Turbo which comes with a whole bunch of other requirements, you won't find much benefit. Probably would be hard on the transmission too.

Upvote 0
Nothing more than a few HP here or there. It's tuned for maximum MPG. If you go with a different "tune" you will lose MPG and probably won't gain much more than a bit of throttle response.

Most "performance" products sold actually hurt performance by confusing the ECU's metering algorithms.

Unless you swap on a Turbo which comes with a whole bunch of other requirements, you won't find much benefit. Probably would be hard on the transmission too.
If I can actually put a turbo on the 2.5 with only a tune, I might. I'm wondering if the Speed 3 trans is compatible or if it's a different power train altogether. I'm also wondering if I have to bore out my motor or swap out the pistons, heads, valve covers, or anything else because I'm keeping the chassis near stock and I'm planning on tuning for high octane and putting in a whole new CV and Transaxle

Upvote 0
What is your goal and how money do you plan to spend to achieve this goal?

Do you intend to boost the auto (need $tronger torque convert to support boost surge and may need tuner to remap the TCM shift points, both added cost) or do you plan to convert to 6 speed (why start with an auto)?

Upvote 0
If I can actually put a turbo on the 2.5 with only a tune, I might. I'm wondering if the Speed 3 trans is compatible or if it's a different power train altogether. I'm also wondering if I have to bore out my motor or swap out the pistons, heads, valve covers, or anything else because I'm keeping the chassis near stock and I'm planning on tuning for high octane and putting in a whole new CV and Transaxle

Anything can be done. You're looking at $$$ for something that extensive if you're doing a full tear down and rebuild. I'm not even sure if you can significantly bore and stroke these engines. Modern engines are fairly thin walled. If you're going that far, then may as well add the turbo and upgrade the transmission. I figure $10k by the time you add everything up.

Modern cars have all their performance engineered to the max by the time they leave the factory. So bolt on mods are few and far between. Long gone are the days where slapping a new carb and headers would net you 75hp. Want more? Slap in a wild CAM. Want more? Swap in rear gears. Not anymore. Now you need a turbo\supercharger\larger engine to get anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back