Mazda OEM vs Value brake padsa

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Stopped by the dealer today to get some front brake pads. He told me he had Mazda OEM pads for $100 and value pads for $70. Claimed they were both from Mazda. I wasn't expecting that so I passed till I got some more info. Anybody else run across this? My searches for pads on mazda dealer parts sites always show me the same part number K0Y1-33-28Z, I never see 2 offered at 2 different prices.

Mike

The Mazda value pads should be good.
I used to buy the value line for my old 626. I put a lot of miles on it, and kept it for about 25 years. Before I discovered there was a difference between aftermarket and Mazda dealer parts, I used to buy pads from auto parts stores. I would always end up with a shimmy on braking within about a year. Then have to turn the rotors to remedy it.
When I started being the Mazda value pads. Braking was good and never had a shimmy again.

So after a lot of googling I found that the brake pad part number ending in MV denote Mazda Value pads. I decided to go with the supposedly better OEM pads via mazdaswag.com

What's the difference between the standard and the "value" pads?

imo. basically just the price. But my replacement Mazda pads for the CX-5 came with grease for for the pads and pins. I don't remember the Value pads including this for my 626.

Last edited:
I was told that the MAZDA value pads were the same pad but, without the new shims, grease for pins and ? Ed

I was told that the MAZDA value pads were the same pad but, without the new shims, grease for pins and ? Ed

unfortunately, they are not, I know from first hand experience, the value line pads are inferior to the OEM's, they take longer to stop and have more of a mushy feeling...

I tried them and hated them so much, I swapped them out for the OEM's after only 5000 miles (couldn't stand the value pads any longer) lesson learned, you get what you pay for, also good thing I can change my own brakes so didn't have to pay a mechanic.

see post #38 in this link for OEM p/n's (IMHO, these are the best pads for the CX-5)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes/page3&highlight=maintenance+mode

unfortunately, they are not, I know from first hand experience, the value line pads are inferior to the OEM's, they take longer to stop and have more of a mushy feeling...

I tried them and hated them so much, I swapped them out for the OEM's after only 5000 miles (couldn't stand the value pads any longer) lesson learned, you get what you pay for, also good thing I can change my own brakes so didn't have to pay a mechanic.

see post #38 in this link for OEM p/n's (IMHO, these are the best pads for the CX-5)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes/page3&highlight=maintenance+mode

Appears the OEMs are made in Japan for the CX-5 at least. My rear pads on my mazda6 with electronic parking brakes are made by TRW (OEM supplier for Audi, VW, ect.).

Mazda OEM vs Value brake pads

Yes I'd always go real OEM parts including OEM brake pads. OEM Value Line parts by Mazda generally are cheaply made and not in good quality. Mazda's Value Line Mexican oil filter is another example. Mazda can't even have metal canister outer diameter under control, which varies batch by batch!

If you want to save some money on parts, get good quality aftermarket parts, not the inferior "OEM Value Line" Mazda parts!

Stopped by the dealer today to get some front brake pads. He told me he had Mazda OEM pads for $100 and value pads for $70. Claimed they were both from Mazda. I wasn't expecting that so I passed till I got some more info. Anybody else run across this? My searches for pads on mazda dealer parts sites always show me the same part number K0Y1-33-28Z, I never see 2 offered at 2 different prices.

Mike

I used the Value line. I couldn't tell a difference in stopping, feel, dust, or anything from the OEM. The OEM were warped by 50k mi or so, so it's not like they are all that, anyways.

At almost 69K miles, I just had my brakes done (local mechanic) with OEM pads that I bought online. The boxes they came in said Made in Japan by Akebono. I also had new rotors put on and the brake system flushed. I'm ready for another 60K+ miles before I need to have them done again.

Remember Mazda makes none of these parts. But, I understand the warm fuzzy feeling of using Mazda labeled parts.
Personal preference: go with the original equipment supplier. You get OEM quality and save a bit because the package is missing the car brand name label.
As a DIYer OES is a minimum and often I'll pay for extra features or innovations at a higher price, but I'm not paying labor.
My only knock on the value line offered by the car maker is that it still carries the premium price for the Mazda label. The value line quality, fit and function are good enough - but would be lots cheaper to buy low to mid tier aftermarket parts.

www.rockauto.com sells Akebono as well as various other name brand pads. Their prices seem to be unbeatable. I wonder how the Akebono Pro Act compare to Mazda OEM since they are both made by Akebono? I wouldn't be afraid to go with Raybestos EHT, Wagner OEX, or Centric Posi Quiet pads. For rotors I would get either Wagner coated or Centric coated rotors because they are the 2 brands of coated rotors who do not coat the braking surface and I prefer coated because I live in the rust belt.

Back