Mazda Dealership alternatives to get 50,000 Mile Checkup?

It costs so much more to go to the Mazda Dealership and I have learned that I don’t trust the Jenkins Car Dealerships in my area. I am getting the orange wrench lighted icon and it says I need the 50,000 Mile Check-up. Can I go to another trusted car repair shop to get this done? Is there a way to find what exactly is in the 50,000 Mile Check-up?

My two cents:

I personally don't do XY-k miles services.
Those are designed by dealers to lighten your wallet.
I itemize what services needed for my Mazda based on the Owner's manual.
Full-circle inspection is often free at any dealership.

The orange wrench icon is from your own maintenance schedule you programmed (or from factory) in the center display. I usually turn them off the 1st day I got my Mazda.
For oil change, I go by 5k miles. Easy to remember. For others, check owner's manual.

Agree with above posters. Don't get sucked into those mileage "check-ups". They usually end up costing you a ton of money for stuff that didn't need to be done.
Stuff like a cabin filter, which you can replace yourself, with no tools, in five minutes. They will charge you $100 though. Things like that.
If you look at what they do, 90% of the items on the dealer list start with the word 'inspect'.
That word is a license to print money.
As for the wrench on the dash, you can turn it off yourself. It's just a reminder, nothing more.

Absolutely DO NOT ask for the 50k mile maintenance (or any other XX mile maintenance). Dealers pack those with tons of stuff you don't need and your bill will be over $500.
The only thing you need at 50k is an oil change, tire rotation, and cabin air filter change if you haven't done it already (and maybe new brake fluid if it's 3 years old or more). They should also do the free Mazda Full Circle Inspection which should let you know if anything else needs attention. Watch out for the Service Writer saying things like, "based on age/mileage we recommend..." Those are up sells.

Absolutely DO NOT ask for the 50k mile maintenance (or any other XX mile maintenance). Dealers pack those with tons of stuff you don't need and your bill will be over $500.
The only thing you need at 50k is an oil change, tire rotation, and cabin air filter change if you haven't done it already (and maybe new brake fluid if it's 3 years old or more). They should also do the free Mazda Full Circle Inspection which should let you know if anything else needs attention. Watch out for the Service Writer saying things like, "based on age/mileage we recommend..." Those are up sells.
Maybe engine air filter if not replaced in the last 20k miles.

Watch out for the Service Writer saying things like, "based on age/mileage we recommend..." Those are up sells.
Those words are red flags for sure. These guys have targets and incentives that they must meet. They are not your friends at this point in time.
Some service writers will even throw in stuff like replacing the air in your tires (it's old you know....lol), or topping up your power steering fluid (of which there is none). Then there's your blinker fluid of course. That needs to be replaced. ;)

Agree with above. Remember, both the cabin and air filters are easy diy (takes 10-15 minutes for both) for about $70 and save about $150.

Last edited:
If you haven't had it done yet, I would consider a transmission fluid change at 50k. Possibly brake fluid as well. Most certainly consider an indie shop for this work.

If you haven't had it done yet, I would consider a transmission fluid change at 50k. Possibly brake fluid as well. Most certainly consider an indie shop for this work.
Yup, brakes fluid and coolant are calander items on my cars. 5 years. I am doing my trans, diff, and xfer case at 50-60, airfilters when I remember, maybe look at the belt at 70, plugs at 60 ish...maybe. and that's it!

It costs so much more to go to the Mazda Dealership and I have learned that I don’t trust the Jenkins Car Dealerships in my area. I am getting the orange wrench lighted icon and it says I need the 50,000 Mile Check-up. Can I go to another trusted car repair shop to get this done? Is there a way to find what exactly is in the 50,000 Mile Check-up?
By the time my CX-5 make 50,000 miles I'm going to be 89 if I get there.

It costs so much more to go to the Mazda Dealership and I have learned that I don’t trust the Jenkins Car Dealerships in my area.
That’s unfortunate that your nearby Mazda dealer isn’t trustworthy. Is there another Mazda dealer which has better reputation on service within the reasonable distance? Actually if I have to rely on the dealer doing all the services, the availability of a good dealership will become a very important factor for me when I’m choosing a car brand.

I am getting the orange wrench lighted icon and it says I need the 50,000 Mile Check-up.
What is the MY of your CX-5? I haven’t seen any Maintenance Monitor on Mazda vehicles will display a message with a red / orange color wrench indicator saying you need a “50,000 Mile Check-up”? The maintenance message usually is “Oil change due!”、“Scheduled due!”、or “Tire rotation due!”.

Can I go to another trusted car repair shop to get this done? Is there a way to find what exactly is in the 50,000 Mile Check-up?
You certainly can go to a reputable independent shop to do all maintenance works. But I personally would still prefer a “reputable” Mazda dealer doing maintenance and repair works for my CX-5 if I don’t like to DIY. The dealer has the best technical knowledge and information for your CX-5, and they use OEM parts and have the best Mazda trained technicians with more experience on Mazda vehicles. Just don’t do a general 50,000-mile maintenance or similar. You follow the maintenance schedule outlined in your owner’s manual, and tell the dealer which maintenance item you want them to do.

Last edited:
As best i can tell from the manual, there basically is no maintenance needed on this car, except oil changes, tire rotation, cabin and engine filter and spark plugs, which I think are like 100k miles. Couldn’t be simpler. Brake fluid has nothing to do with mileage, it’s ~3 years. I don’t see anything in the manual about changing transmission fluid, differential fluid, transfer case, or coolant, which seems odd to me coming from Honda/Acura, but I guess it’s lifetime for Mazda. Brake pads and rotors are a wear and tear item, easily inspected, and not changed based on mileage.

I recall buying my car and the sales rep trying to steer me to a lower mileage more expensive car because of the “big” 30k maintenance job.

As best i can tell from the manual, there basically is no maintenance needed on this car, except oil changes, tire rotation, cabin and engine filter and spark plugs, which I think are like 100k miles. Couldn’t be simpler. Brake fluid has nothing to do with mileage, it’s ~3 years. I don’t see anything in the manual about changing transmission fluid, differential fluid, transfer case, or coolant, which seems odd to me coming from Honda/Acura, but I guess it’s lifetime for Mazda. Brake pads and rotors are a wear and tear item, easily inspected, and not changed based on mileage.

I recall buying my car and the sales rep trying to steer me to a lower mileage more expensive car because of the “big” 30k maintenance job.
Plugs are around 75k for NA engines, 40k for Turbo. Coolant is around 100k, not sure if they go strickly miles or if it's elasped time. Although Mazda says trans fluid is lifetime I'm sure they define lifetime as powertrain warranty. I would change trans and transfer oil at 40k to be safe. Diff fluid is probably OK if you don't go through deep water. A lot of this is in the manual.

My schedule:

Engine oil and filter every 5k miles
ATF drain and fill every 30k miles
ATF filter every 60k miles
Spark plugs every 75k miles
Coolant every 10 years
Brake fluid with new pads
Cabin air filter in the early June after "The Pollening" is over
Inspect engine air filter every 5k, replace as needed

I had SA recommended replacing brake pads at 4mm.
I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

I asked, "Wasn't the limit 3mm to you guys?"
She said, "Well, next time you come here, they will be less than 3mm..."
:oops:

Don't worry. I said, "Next time. Maybe."

Last edited:
Back