Mazda CX-7 2008 overheating HELP

The engine light has been on since we had it worked on at a Midas last year. They kept telling us it is our computer needing a reset. We do not think that is true. in the beginning of this month our serpentine belt went. We replaced it. The engine light went off for a few days after and the came back on. Yesterday while driving the fan was really loud. I could hear it the entire time i drove and after i turned the car off. Today the Temp just kept Rising to H when driving it for about 10 mins and then hit H as i got back home. I started to smell like a burning kinda smell too when i got it home. The antifreeze was low. We filled it and have it sitting off in our driveway. It has 124,000 Miles on it.

Last edited:
If you don't DIY, there's no point for anyone here to give advice, because you're going to have to take it to a shop for diagnosis and repair anyway. And a shop will have no interest in hearing about ideas coming from an auto forum. It sounds to me that you are not a DIYer, but you can post back if I'm wrong about that.

If you don't DIY, there's no point for anyone here to give advice, because you're going to have to take it to a shop for diagnosis and repair anyway. And a shop will have no interest in hearing about ideas coming from an auto forum. It sounds to me that you are not a DIYer, but you can post back if I'm wrong about that.
that is not helpful! Yes we are a DIYers. We replaced the serpentine belt ourselves.

Ok then have you checked for coolant leaks? If so (and there are none), then do you see bubbles in the tank with the cap off, or any indication that motor oil and coolant are mixing? The first thing you need to find out is where the coolant is going.

Side note for everyone...
If you don't DIY, there's no point for anyone here to give advice, because you're going to have to take it to a shop for diagnosis and repair anyway. And a shop will have no interest in hearing about ideas coming from an auto forum.
Giving advice and providing ideas is one of the reasons we're all here so whatever someone's situation is, it's helpful to provide some assistance if possible. That assistance/advice etc may help someone to better understand what the problem is and what's possible in terms of repairs. When dealing with a professional mechanic, in some cases information provided here can prevent people from potentially getting ripped off. So yes, there is a point to give advice even if the Mazda is being taken to a mechanic. :)

Back to the topic...Good to see despite the rough start that this thread is back on track. Thanks @edmaz and @Natey for trying to help out here...Hopefully a solution is found.

Ok then have you checked for coolant leaks? If so (and there are none), then do you see bubbles in the tank with the cap off, or any indication that motor oil and coolant are mixing? The first thing you need to find out is where the coolant is going.

yes we checked all that yesterday. thank you :)

we are going to check to see if the thermostat needs to be replaced today.

we drove it today for a short distance this morning and it wasn't overheating. then we pulled the car into a parking lot and shut it off. Waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and started to drive home. As i turned out of the parking lot it started to overheat.

we are going to check to see if the thermostat needs to be replaced today. ….
Did you check the coolant level again today? I don't know your specific vehicle, so it may, or may not have both a coolant overflow tank cap and a radiator cap. So if it has both caps, then you would need to check the level at both places.

Also, after it's been run (and particularly when it's overheating) have you put your hand on both of the big radiator coolant hoses, to see if they're both hot?

Pretty obvious, but just making sure the system is burped. 👍

Start the car up COLD (Don't ever take the cap off when the engine is hot) and take the radiator cap off. As the car warms up the coolant drain into the engine. Keep topping it off until it's completely full then put the cap back on.
Air in the system will cause overheating.

Back