Mazda CX-5 Vs. Acura RDX

VW? That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire! VW is 24th out of 26 as far as manufacturer reliability goes. (Consumer Reports, 2021)

Attachments

• Auto brand reliability 14-26.jpg
    Auto brand reliability 14-26.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 174
...and the top 13:

Attachments

• Auto brand reliability 1-13.jpg
    Auto brand reliability 1-13.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 186
VW? That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire! VW is 24th out of 26 as far as manufacturer reliability goes. (Consumer Reports, 2021)

I've had 10+ VWs in the past 20 years, made all over the place (Mexico, Brazil, Germany), and they've been terrific, very reliable overall. I'd be driving a VW wagon if they still sold them, or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.

I know people like to compare the CX5 with the RDX, but it's not really a fair comparison. The RDX is a large 2 row CUV, while the CX5 is a small 2 row CUV.

The EPA classifies both as "small sport utility vehicles".

or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.
I've also had a good experience with VW. Coming off my 4th VW I thought I'd be buying a Tiguan. I liked the overall "Volkswageness" of it until I drove it back to back with the CX-5 GTR. The Tiguan does have a pathetic engine compared to my previous VW's. My dealer sells both brands which made the direct comparison easier. Had the performance been closer I may have opted for the Tiguan but have been very pleased with my GTR.

I know people like to compare the CX5 with the RDX, but it's not really a fair comparison. The RDX is a large 2 row CUV, while the CX5 is a small 2 row CUV.
It's a totally fair comparison. If the Signature with the 2.5 T didn't show up when it did, I would have a '19 RDX Advance. Both are classified as CUV's and the slightly larger interior space was not important to us. Drivability and features were.

It's a totally fair comparison. If the Signature with the 2.5 T didn't show up when it did, I would have a '19 RDX Advance. Both are classified as CUV's and the slightly larger interior space was not important to us. Drivability and features were.

The size difference was a valid point for me. I owned Acuras for more than 20 years and wanted to buy the 2019 RDX Tech. But the 7 inch length increase over the CX-5 Signature made it feel “big” when driving and tight in my garage. I’ve been really pleased with the CX-5 handling and features so no regrets.

I've had 10+ VWs in the past 20 years, made all over the place (Mexico, Brazil, Germany), and they've been terrific, very reliable overall. I'd be driving a VW wagon if they still sold them, or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.
You can find lucky VW owners here and there but year after year CR lists quite a few VWs in their "Worst of the worst" category among used vehicles. This data is derived from tens of thousands of owners' responses to questionnaires regarding vehicle reliability.
Some do perform very well but then again, BMWs and Audis perform well also. To many people, that's not enough to hand over hard-earned cash for a vehicle that is intended to be kept well past the warranty period.

The EPA classifies both as "small sport utility vehicles".

Yeah, the RDX is really close in interior trunk space as compared to the CX-5. I looked a little at the RDX to replace my CX-9, thinking it would offer the rear cargo room I need but just with seating for 4-5, which is all I need.

Geeze guys, I wasn’t disagreeing with the poster, I was just curious as to the basis of a single opinion.
And you got a nicely thought out reply which I assume is what you asked for? I have given my data point on the 2016 RDX Advanced I owned and absolutely couldn't wait to get rid of. Tons of issues from the get go (purchased it new). The CX-5 has been so good I plan to buy a GTR when my lease ends next year.

With Acura, you need to buy *tech package* to get rain sensing wiper...., which is high-tech in eyes of Acura marketing people.... and folding side mirrors as well. The list is quite long and interesting. I used to own one Acura. Their marketing has been among the worst. Never really learned from Lexus. Never had a V8, and now late to electrification... great job, Acura.
I appreciate their SH-AWD, but I don't think majority of luxury car buyers can feel and appreciate the difference..

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has driven a 3rd Gen 2019+ RDX? If so, what are your thoughts on it? My parents just got one, and although I think it's a sharp SUV, I honestly feel that my 19' GTR is just as nice inside and out. I know that the RDX is a class above, but honestly, for the money I think I would go with the CX-5.

Anyway, just curious what all of your opinions/thoughts are on the RDX. Also, if you're considering one, keep the CX-5 :)
I haven’t driven a newer model rdx, but the last version with the V6 was a smooth driving suv. plenty of power and torque, good gas mileage, and a reliable and smooth 6 speed transmission. Lots of room for people and stuff, a good used car option. Almost bought one before buying my Mazda. Sometimes I miss the extra cargo space.

Unfortunately, the 2nd gen RDX (2013-2018 - the one with the V6) was the only one without SH-AWD. Instead, it used the cheaper, far less-capable AWD system from the CR-V. It wasn't even as capable as Mazda's AWD system.

I am still eyeing up a 2021 RDX A-Spec. I am not sure if I want to give up my Mazda though. I'm trying my best to hold off until the 2023 Mazda model comes out before deciding. Furthermore, I test drove a 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T. That was a rather impressive vehicle!

Unfortunately, the 2nd gen RDX (2013-2018 - the one with the V6) was the only one without SH-AWD. Instead, it used the cheaper, far less-capable AWD system from the CR-V. It wasn't even as capable as Mazda's AWD system.
Well I have no use for 4 wheel drive as I live in Tennessee. I had two MDX’s which came standard with sh-awd. Great vehicles and the 2010-2016 version was the best. Just IMO.

I live in NE Texas and never leave paved roads, but I still find AWD incredibly useful for reducing or eliminating wheel spin under hard acceleration or in the rain. AWD has advantages that extend beyond snow and ice. Acura's equipped with SH-AWD overdrive the rear wheels and send power to the rear when accelerating. While the AWD system used in the 2013-2018 RDX helps in low-traction situations, it's nowhere near as capable as SH-AWD and lacks the torque vectoring and overdrive capabilities that improve cornering and give the vehicle a bit of a RWD feel.

Of course, if you're just leisurely putting around town to church, the doctor's office, and the grocery store, none of that really matters. If you enjoy the spirited driving and appreciate good handling dynamics, Acura's SH-AWD system shines.

I haven’t driven a newer model rdx, but the last version with the V6 was a smooth driving suv. plenty of power and torque, good gas mileage, and a reliable and smooth 6 speed transmission. Lots of room for people and stuff, a good used car option. Almost bought one before buying my Mazda. Sometimes I miss the extra cargo space.
Ha! After owning a 2016 with this transmission for 3yrs and 60k miles that is the last way I would describe it. Acura recommends 30k fluid intervals on it now and mine never shifted reliably smooth, from day one.

Ha! After owning a 2016 with this transmission for 3yrs and 60k miles that is the last way I would describe it. Acura recommends 30k fluid intervals on it now and mine never shifted reliably smooth, from day one.
A good friend of ours had the previous gen Acura RDX. In year five, the rad failed and coolant got into the transmission. Irreparable they said. Needs a new trannie. Went with her to the dealership and they were just awful. Yes, it was out of warranty, but it's a known problem with this gen RDX, and Acura wouldn't help in any way. Tough bananas was their response. Suck it up.
All they wanted to do was get her into a new RDX, taking her old one in on a trade, and deducting the retail value of a new transmission on the value of that trade.
We walked of course.
Just one of many examples of why I detest Honda/Acura.
My friend traded the RDX for a BMW, and they gave her $5,000 more for her RDX, even knowing it was broken.

Back