Mazda Canada CX-90 Trim Details

I tried to summarize some of the details from the Mazda Canada web site under the legal section. In addition the lower GS trims won’t be available until this fall, so only the top trims are available for purchase until then. Of note the PHEV won’t be available in the base GS trim or in the Signature trim. .

Inline-6 trims - GS, GS-L, GT, GT-P, Signature
PHEV trims - GS-P, GT

-The towing mode is only available with the inline-6 GS-L trim and higher.

-The larger 12.3” display is only available on the GT and Signature trims.

- Artisan Red is only available on the GT-P and Signature inline-6 trims along with the PHEV GT.

- Inline-6 GS, GS-L, GT has 280hp/332lbft with regular gas recommended. GT-P and Signature has 340hp/369lbft with Premium gas recommended.

I did a similar exercise in a different thread: here are a few more things i noticed:

Towing mode on the GS-L requires the enhanced package. The towing mode is required to allow up to 5,000 lbs towing.

In addition to the 12.3´´ screen, a slew of new features is available from the GT model and up:
Turn Across Path,(8) , Secondary Collision Reduction System (8), See-through view (8)
from a cabin that recognizes you and adjusts to your individual driving preferences (8)
Available customizable 12.3 inch display (8)
360º View Monitor with See-Through View, (9)

Maple wood and Depth defining Kakenui stitching is available on the MHEV GT-P and Signature models and on the PHeV GT model

Last edited:
That base number in HP and torque is similar to the Kia/ Hyundai twin. Hopefully it will get better MPG than those, which are in the 20-21 range overall.

I love my CX-9 because the way it drives but also the MPG. I have had a 2018 and a 2021 CX-9. In the 2018, over 51,373 I averaged 24.4 MPG. In the 2021, over 52,674 miles, I have averaged, wait for it, 24.4 MPG.

A kia telluride has Kia Telluride 291 hp, 262 tq. And the maximum torque values are st the end of the rpm range.

So just like the current gen CX-9, i think the new CX-90 low output engine will still have a fair amount torque compared to the Kia. I expect that set up to feel similar to the current gen 310 lb*ft of torque but without the current drop of power in the high RPM range.

That base number in HP and torque is similar to the Kia/ Hyundai twin. Hopefully it will get better MPG than those, which are in the 20-21 range overall.

I love my CX-9 because the way it drives but also the MPG. I have had a 2018 and a 2021 CX-9. In the 2018, over 51,373 I averaged 24.4 MPG. In the 2021, over 52,674 miles, I have averaged, wait for it, 24.4 MPG.

They have advertised that the CX-90 will be more fuel efficient than the CX-9, so it should end up being more fuel efficient than the Korean twins.

Anyone see any more engine technical details?

What specifically are you looking for? The Owner's Manual for the CX-90 was leaked and the page was subsequently shut down. Is it something that might be available in there?

EDIT: Owner's Manual for the CX-90 and CX-90 PHEV available here:

Last edited:
They provided MPG in the press release - to be precise it is L/100km but they are way better than current Kia/Honda/Toyota competitors and significantly better than current CX-9:
  • CX-90 GT-P and Signature models with the e-Skyactiv 3.3L Inline 6 Turbo engine have NRCan-estimated fuel economy ratings of 10.3 L/100km city, 8.5 L/100km highway, and 9.5 L/100km combined
  • Standard e-Skyactiv 3.3L Inline 6 Turbo engine provides more efficiency with NRCan-estimated fuel economy ratings of 9.9 L/100km city, 8.4 L/100km highway, and 9.3 L/100km combined, while offering increased power from CX-9
The best I coud do with my CX-9 was on the highway: 7.6 L/100km. In the city during winter I average approx: 11L/100km, in the summer I remember 10.5L/100km during my morning commute to work.

They have advertised that the CX-90 will be more fuel efficient than the CX-9, so it should end up being more fuel efficient than the Korean twins.

What specifically are you looking for? The Owner's Manual for the CX-90 was leaked and the page was subsequently shut down. Is it something that might be available in there?

It's a new engine so was curious about nerdy technical stuff. Is there another EGR system? What's the compression ratio? Electric or mechanical water pump? Any shared components with the current 2.5T?

Last edited:
It's a new engine so was curious about nerdy technical stuff. Is there another EGR system? What's the compression ratio? Electric or mechanical water pump? Any shared components with the current 2.5T?

The manual can now be found on the MazdaUSA.com website. Here's a link. You just have to select 2024 for the model year, then choose CX-90 PHEV or CX-90.

Some specs are listed in the Build and Price tool for the CX-90 and CX-90 PHEV. According to the builder for the PHEV, the compression ratio is 13.0:1, and it uses the NA 2.5L, not the turbocharged 2.5L. Other information may be detailed in the Owner's Manual.

The only details we have apply to both inline6 turbo engines. Max torque is reached at 2000rpm and max HP reached at 5000rpm with a 6500rpm redline. The compression ratio is 12:1.

This is extremely disappointing. Any trim level besides the Signature is getting the "old" instrument cluster. So technically, you are paying 60K for the MHEV GT-P and you are getting the same instrument cluster as in the CX30 GX which is 27K. Nice piece of business by Mazda here, NOT.

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. Both 360 cam and 12" screen are locked behind the top trim, probably along with a bunch of other stuff. As other posters have mentioned, those features will eventually trickle down into other trims, but I don't see this being received well by Canadian buyers. 360 cam and 12" screen should be included on the GT, GT-P and Signature models, and should be available as an optional package for the GS-L model. IMO.

The 2023 CX-9 GT is 51k to start and it gets the 360 cam with the 10" screen. They could at least give the 360 cam to the CX-90's GT and GT-P models.

The GT has a 360 camera, but not the fancy one from the signature model.

GT includes GS-L with Enhanced package features plus:
  • 21-inch silver metallic alloy wheels
  • 360° View Monitor
  • Blind Spot Monitoring with Vehicle Exit Warning

The GT has a 360 camera, but not the fancy one from the signature model.

GT includes GS-L with Enhanced package features plus:
  • 21-inch silver metallic alloy wheels
  • 360° View Monitor
  • Blind Spot Monitoring with Vehicle Exit Warning

Ah that's good! Thanks for the correction.

I don't see any notes on the digital rear view mirror, either.

This is extremely disappointing. Any trim level besides the Signature is getting the "old" instrument cluster. So technically, you are paying 60K for the MHEV GT-P and you are getting the same instrument cluster as in the CX30 GX which is 27K. Nice piece of business by Mazda here, NOT.
The 12.3 instrument cluster is standard for the Phev.

I have found this spec sheet for Canadian and American models - very detailed with all the specifications:
https://www.cx90forum.com/threads/official-cx-90-book-from-mazda.55/

Personally for me the 2 aspects of this new car are disappointing.

1. Pricing - much higher than current CX-9 and offering at the same time much less when you comparing particular trims here in Canada.

2. Dimensions - I am sorry but is this a joke? Initially Mazda was advertising this model as the biggest Mazda ever. I did not expect anything similar to Kia Telluride or Honda Pilot but at least somewhere between the current CX-9 and competition. If you look closely the 1st and 2nd row are virtually the same (if not smaller). We are talking about 1-2 cm difference (with CX-9 being actually bigger is some aspects like hip room). 3rd row is bigger but not by much: 3 cm more headroom and 2 cm more leg room, hip room is 10 cm bigger. Trunk space for whatever reason is bigger with the 3rd row - 2 seats combination but not by much again. 3 seats combination has practically the same trunk space like CX-9 - 50L more with the 3rd row down (1082 to 1130L) and no underfloor storage.

Last edited:
The 12.3 instrument cluster is standard for the Phev.
Yeah but I am not interested in any of that. PHEV will be a nightmare to own on such a big car. If you look at the CX60 forum in Europe, you will understand why.

I was interested in the I6 MHEV, however I am having a hard time swallowing this big prices with some "common" features that are available only on Signature trim.

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. Both 360 cam and 12" screen are locked behind the top trim, probably along with a bunch of other stuff. As other posters have mentioned, those features will eventually trickle down into other trims, but I don't see this being received well by Canadian buyers. 360 cam and 12" screen should be included on the GT, GT-P and Signature models, and should be available as an optional package for the GS-L model. IMO.

The 2023 CX-9 GT is 51k to start and it gets the 360 cam with the 10" screen. They could at least give the 360 cam to the CX-90's GT and GT-P models.

Agree with you. 360 Camera, while is nice, don't really care, so having the regular one is a plus. However I would much rather have the 12" and instrument cluster in detriment of 360 camera and some other stuff.

I really do hope for the CX70 release they will come with better package options.

Back