Max allowable CCA for a P5 battery...

Weborific

Ok, so in the last year, I've gone through several alternators and several batteries. My car was dead today. I have had to replace my battery every year for the last 3 years. I've had AcDelco until today when I got a Duralast. After doing some research on the net, one site states to never get a batter much higher or lower CCA rating than what is recommended for your vehicle. My ACdelco's were 640CCA and my new Duralast is 600CCA. Can this actually be a problem? What are you guys running? THANKS!!

Im running an Optima Blue top and have not had any problems..........

I've never heard of that CCA story.

My P5 just got a new Duralast which is 600CCA.

Do you live an extreme/cold/heat climate? Either one can take a toll on a battery. What happened to the 3 batteries that you felt they needed to be replaced? The alternators?

It seems odd to have that much trouble without a common cause.

My new optima red top has 720 CCA. I've never heard that you should "match" CCAs...just get the best battery you can. There are plenty of guys running Optimas that are rated much higher than the stock P5 battery with no problems.

I run like 810 on my Energizer Max and its fine. I live in Canada too so it starts up the dog sled like it ain't no thang.

I've never heard of that either. i dont see how the amount cca a battery can provide can effect your electrical system poorly. i would investigate your voltage regulator maybe?

I can always count on you guys for some good pointers...THANK YOU!
I believe the main problem started a few years back when the original alternator went. I had the alternator and battery replaced at the same time. I'm not sure why parts are so ridiculously expensive from Mazda Canada dealers. I actually order parts from Mazda USA and pay HALF the price!! Anyway, a new alternator here was something like $400 and up. Someone even mentioned $600. So I had the mechanic install a rebuilt as I could not wait for shipping from the USA. Well, there where so many problems with these rebuilt that I either kept finding myself stranded or my mechanic would keep sending the alternators back because a thread was stripped and he couldn't install them. So...like 5 alternators later, I got one that didn't give me any problems. The next winter, I had problems again and had the battery replaced. About 8 months later, I had my engine replaced from one of those shops that imports engines from Japan (God, the word escapes me at this hour). Anyway, the mechanics that installed the new engine told me they'll look at certain parts from my old engine and the new one they'd install and install whichever parts were in better condition. They gave me a call and told me my alternator was no good (surprise, surprise) and suggested I have them install an original Mazda still in great shape. So I did. So I think it's just the battery this time. There where blue deposits around the positive terminal. Maybe the older alternators screwed my battery. Will get it checked maybe tomorrow....

Weborific- that sounds like whole bucket 'o' PIA.

Hopefully, you can get it figured out soon.

yeah sounds like more than just battery issues. But hey a 24F battery should fit if you widen the tray a bit. Same dimensions as 35 but like an inch longer. Easier to find and higher CCA and Amp-hours to boot.

I'll add this to the mods I'll try and report back on.

what i read in the owners manual of my 2009 dodge ram 2500 work truck yesterday is that its recommended to replace the battery with one of equal or greater capacity as the original or it can cause strain on the charging system, and the battery

Latest posts

Back