Man I hate driving my CX-5

If you're cheap like me, use the Gasbuddy app when traveling long distances so you can avoid the overpriced stations. It's not going to save you any real money, but some stations charge way higher than market rates. I stick with name brand, top tier fuel.

AAA had an intro rate on a Shell fuel program. For a coupled of months, I was getting a 15 cent discount per gallon...it's since dropped to 5 cents. My VISA card gives me a 3% rebate on gas...any brand...so that's about another 9 cents.

As you said, it's not real money. 5 cents a gallon in a 15 gallon tank saves 75 cents on a $45 purchase. The only change I've made since getting my Reserve is driving past Sheetz and only using top tier gas of any brand. Still not certain what that gets me in a direct-inject engine. Opinions on that are all over the place.

Regarding your post of Exxon's pricing...there are 4 gas stations right at the exit off the interstate here: BP, Shell, Sheetz and Exxon. BP and Shell are always the same price, Sheetz is always a few cents cheaper, and Exxon is always a good 12 cents/gallon higher than BP and Shell. I have no idea how they sell any...they are literally right across the street from BP & Shell (both of which yield identical mileage in my car).

Last edited:
Just curious. Do both your 87 and 93 have the same Ethanol content? Some areas sell 93 with none, which would definitely help with MPG's.

I'll look, but I'm pretty certain the ethanol content in the 93 here is 10%.

I'd die for some ethanol-free gas at a reasonable price.

Something must be wrong with your cx5. -mazdaforumlogic

Yup. It's being drive on the wrong roads and in the wrong atmospheric conditions. Damned factory tires!

On a serious note, I've wondered if an ECU tune might help my mileage.

On a serious note, I've wondered if an ECU tune might help my mileage.

It definitely will, if you keep your foot out of it. (naughty)

These things run rich as hell from the factory (most cars do these days, especially turbos), so one of the easiest ways to make power is to lean it out a little. Probably make 20hp+ alone on a easy lean out and still keep it within a nice safety blanket.

It definitely will, if you keep your foot out of it. (naughty)

These things run rich as hell from the factory (most cars do these days, especially turbos), so one of the easiest ways to make power is to lean it out a little. Probably make 20hp+ alone on a easy lean out and still keep it within a nice safety blanket.

As I've said, there is this 2 mile stretch of road when I put the car in Manual mode and engine-brake winding down into the gullies, and then leave it in 3rd gear as I scream my way back up the winding hills. It's crazy how these things accelerate when you're already at 3,500 RPMs.

If I had paddle shifters, I'd be whining about my 15MPG, 'cause they'd be right there and I wouldn't ever let the transmission shift itself.

As I've said, there is this 2 mile stretch of road when I put the car in Manual mode and engine-brake winding down into the gullies, and then leave it in 3rd gear as I scream my way back up the winding hills. It's crazy how these things accelerate when you're already at 3,500 RPMs.

If I had paddle shifters, I'd be whining about my 15MPG, 'cause they'd be right there and I wouldn't ever let the transmission shift itself.

Well they make a paddle shifter kit to ya know! Get on it!! :p(rockon)

I lived in that era too and had a 340 Plymouth 'Cuda with a huge 4 barrel carburetor. When you floored it you could literally see the gas gauge sinking to E. "Ethyl" was about .30 a gallon, so the fun was cheap.

My first car was 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie XL with a 427 cubic inch engine, 2 4 barrel carbs, and solid lifters. The mileage was 8 miles per gallon but gas was like .30/gallon.

Here's an experiment for you: don't hammer it up that hill for an entire tank [if you can stand it!]. See what your mileage is then.

I lived in that era too and had a 340 Plymouth 'Cuda with a huge 4 barrel carburetor. When you floored it you could literally see the gas gauge sinking to E. "Ethyl" was about .30 a gallon, so the fun was cheap.

The thing is "In the year 1960, the average retail price of gas in the U.S. was $0.31. This is equivalent to $2.65 in 2019 dollars." It's a lot cheaper now, since we get so much better mileage-- who woulda thunk. But maybe fun is more fun when you're young .

Love to see you say "ethyl". When I moved to Oregon [where you're not allowed to pump your own, unless you're a bike or special], I would pull up and say "fill it with high test", they'd say "with what?".

The thing is "In the year 1960, the average retail price of gas in the U.S. was $0.31. This is equivalent to $2.65 in 2019 dollars." It's a lot cheaper now, since we get so much better mileage-- who woulda thunk. But maybe fun is more fun when you're young .

Love to see you say "ethyl". When I moved to Oregon [where you're not allowed to pump your own, unless you're a bike or special], I would pull up and say "fill it with high test", they'd say "with what?".

Back then the price didn't fluctuate daily either. It stayed at one price for the whole year or more. Plus they pumped your gas, cleaned your windows and gave you green stamps. Even check your oil if you wanted them to.

Back then the price didn't fluctuate daily either. It stayed at one price for the whole year or more. Plus they pumped your gas, cleaned your windows and gave you green stamps. Even check your oil if you wanted them to.

I managed a 24 hour Hess gas station right before and through the Odd/Even crisis of the early 70s (I got stories of my life being threatened). I was there when Unleaded hit the stations (so we had Regular, 100 Octane and Unleaded). On holiday weekends, we would pump 3x-4x the total storage capacity out of that tiny station.

The District Manager would come into town unannounced, and sit in the parking lot across the street and do a 10 Car Survey. We had to clean all the glass, the headlights, the sideview mirrors, tailights, etc. We also had to pop every single hood (or make the attempt), and had a quota to sell at least one quart of oil/tranny fluid for every 100 gallons of gas we pumped.

On the upside, our Manager's Meeting was at a Playboy Club in New Jersey. Can't do that anymore!

I*ve been alternating filling with non ethanol 89 which is about the same price as 93. The difference here between 87 and 93 is .60 to .70 a gallon.

I*ve been alternating filling with non ethanol 89 which is about the same price as 93. The difference here between 87 and 93 is .60 to .70 a gallon.

So is there a noticeable performance (subjective) or mileage (objective) difference?

Here we have 10% ethanol. I would think that if 10% of the volume had more energy in it, mileage would be better.

Back