magnumP5's RX-7 Build Thread

How did she do on the track yesterday? Did you have a blast?
I think she handled it pretty good (CEL is unrelated, I'm pretty sure). Slow as dirt, but she took turns faster than I would have ever thought. Nothing on everyday roads is going to scare me now...

Hyperdrive was awesome though. I think we got something like 6 laps or so in. I was doing pretty well (according to my instructor) and kept getting faster and faster until like my 4th lap. Lets just say I had a little too much fun on turn 7 ;) Hopefully DaveB will post up his video...

I really want to do the HPDE event at Putnam Park in early October now. There is one at Mid-Ohio again in mid-August but I have to go to a wedding that weekend.
And I am waiting to hear back from someone about a set of RPF1's, 17x8 +45. Figured you would like this. ;)
Sounds good. Should fit the Protege pretty good.

I think she handled it pretty good (CEL is unrelated, I'm pretty sure). Slow as dirt, but she took turns faster than I would have ever thought. Nothing on everyday roads is going to scare me now...

Hyperdrive was awesome though. I think we got something like 6 laps or so in. I was doing pretty well (according to my instructor) and kept getting faster and faster until like my 4th lap. Lets just say I had a little too much fun on turn 7 ;) Hopefully DaveB will post up his video...

I really want to do the HPDE event at Putnam Park in early October now. There is one at Mid-Ohio again in mid-August but I have to go to a wedding that weekend.

Sounds good. Should fit the Protege pretty good.

Wedding Smedding! Glad you enjoyed it Jon, it is a a lot of fun to see what you car will do on the track. Seems like everyone in Hyperdrive was someone I know, I think nearly 3/4 of the class were friends and/or acquaintances.
Lot of action today, with the rain. Let's see a Lotus Exige lost it coming out of the carousel, he was driving thr "dry line' as opposed to the wet line there is a difference. Let's say, he has 10-15 K of damage to his car....

Bah, car is running like crap at idle. It actually stalled on me during a hot start up today and sometimes wants to stall when I put the clutch in after cruising to a stop. It only seems to happen after I've run the A/C or something that affects load at idle so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the idle-up control. I may try to bump up the idle 100 RPM or so to see if that helps. Everything seems fine while cruising and under load though. Perhaps a compression test is in order.

In other news I have some Mazdaspeed engine mounts waiting to go in. Not as stiff as polyurethane but still 40% (supposedly) stiffer than stock. Now I just need the matching transmission and differential mounts. Trans/diff mounts, polyurethane bushings, DTSS deletes and an adjustable lateral link are next on the mod list. Maybe a little more low too...

Bah, car is running like crap at idle. It actually stalled on me during a hot start up today and sometimes wants to stall when I put the clutch in after cruising to a stop. It only seems to happen after I've run the A/C or something that affects load at idle so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the idle-up control. I may try to bump up the idle 100 RPM or so to see if that helps. Everything seems fine while cruising and under load though. Perhaps a compression test is in order.

In other news I have some Mazdaspeed engine mounts waiting to go in. Not as stiff as polyurethane but still 40% (supposedly) stiffer than stock. Now I just need the matching transmission and differential mounts. Trans/diff mounts, polyurethane bushings, DTSS deletes and an adjustable lateral link are next on the mod list. Maybe a little more low too...

What??? (evil)

Well it seems to be running better this morning?! Idle was around 750 RPM (right where it should be) with my foot on the brake and 800 RPM with it off. This all seems better but then again I only drive 4 miles or so to work and I didn't have the AC or headlights on. This makes increasing idle speed not seem like the best solution anymore...
What??? (evil)
Mostly just the rear once I get the adjustable camber link (to dial out the extra negative camber). Right now the rear is 1/4-1/2" higher than the front and I can't go lower due to camber. I'm thinking like one turn or so in the front and like three or four in the rear. Not slammed by any means :)

Energy Suspension Bushing Set (Black) purchased! DTSS deletes and adjustable lateral link will come next Friday (pay day!). After that all that remains is swaybars and endlinks and the suspension is done (sans chassis bracing).

Do you want your old end links from the rear? I will buy them, you know, if the bushings and stuff are still decent/usable. They actually fit on my 626 with the rear sway bar off of a Contour... And I've been looking for a set.

Do you want your old end links from the rear? I will buy them, you know, if the bushings and stuff are still decent/usable. They actually fit on my 626 with the rear sway bar off of a Contour... And I've been looking for a set.
I'll have no problem getting rid of them once I get the new ones and swaybars. I'll let you know.

I also updated the first page. Fixed the uneven headlight issue this past weekend at the cookout. I ended up replacing the entire assembly. I still don't really know what was wrong with the other one. Looks like my list of "critical items" is now complete. It only took a year of work, LOL!

Got bored, installed Mazdaspeed competition engine mounts. Supposedly 40% stiffer rubber. The engine definitely moves less but that's probably more from the fact the stock driver's side mount was torn ~75% through. Oddly enough, the vibrations aren't noticeable at all (nothing like AWR mounts on a Protege) and it actually seems like the car is quieter. As a result, I may go with some 95 durometer urethane mounts in the future.

On another note, I made the longest trips yet in the RX-7. 350 miles from Cinci, OH to Blacksburg, VA and 350 miles back.

You goin to the fun run tmrw?
Nah, not going to make it out this weekend. I wanted to, life's been busy lately though.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of RX-7 motor mounts? I'm trying to figure out if I've installed mine incorrectly or not.

I have only two things to say:
1) Dayum, am I good or what? And,
2) Dayum Dude, are you following me around, Sir?

:D :D :D

Thanks guys. I got it all figured out after talking with some engine builders. Even though you can install them upside down and rotated it does seem there is an "accepted" correct way to install the stock or competition mounts. "Hat" is up and the stud and the little "nub" need to align in the cut-out on the engine bracket (this prevents the mount from rotating). The preferred orientation is to have the stud higher up than the "nub" so it is the load-carrying feature. I reinstalled them this way and my shifter is still a little off-centered. I'm thinking there's likely something wrong with the transmission mounts or crossmember and I'll be replacing those shortly. I also still need to install my Energy Suspension bushing set. Gone will be the 21 year-old sloppiness when I'm done!

I need to stop dragging my ass... Transmission mounts, bushing kit are still waiting to be installed.

Did some BS mods this past weekend. JDM FTP lenses, "bubble" side markers and amber turn signal lenses are installed. I'm fairly sure these are the first "appearance" mods I've done. Pictures when the car isn't covered in dust...

EDIT: Someone please buy my seats.

Last edited:
Mazda Competition transmission mounts and new transmission cross member have been installed. Damn good thing too because the bushing in the original crossmember was competely torn and the stock transmission mounts were about 50% torn and sagging so the transmission was essentially sitting right on the crossmember. Everything is nice and stiff now and the shifter is about 1.5" higher too, LOL!

Back