MAF + Condensation = Problem

MSP Alex

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a 2003.5 MSP and its not wanting to drive really. I start it up and it idles so low, sometimes dies, and just chugs along with AFRs so lean it reads "- - -". After the car gets over itself it runs rich as hell idling at like 12.7 AFRs and just DUMPS fuel while cruising. I pulled the MAF and there is lots of condensation all in the IC pipes and MAF and think this is where my problem is. How and why is so much condensation getting in and how do i stop it? Thanks guys, -Alex

I recently had an issue similar to this. On rainy days the MAF voltage would max out instantly with any hint of boost. My MAF is relocated though and there really was not any signs of condensation in the piping. It slowly got worse and started happening even without it raining outside. Replacing the MAF fixed the problem for me. You need to find out where all that condensation is coming from though, because if the MAF is wet, that will definitely cause some issues.

Thanks for the replys guys, I had the same issue with the max voltage on the maf and changed it out for a new one last month. I tried cleaning the maf with maf spray and put it back together and nothing. It still runs very poorly. At red lights it hesitates horribly and wants to give no power and wideband reads super lean still. After awhile it will idle stupid rich and dump fuel but I suspect that's just the car compensating with a kind of limp mode to its lean/bogging power problem. I have to launch at like 3k just to get rolling off the red light.

I think ur problem might be more serious than a maf sensor. Check coils and spark plugs. Maybe even compression test.

I did a compression and leak down test last month and they showed flawless. I check the spark plugs periodically and they look good still. I have a feeling it might be fuel related like the pump is not pushing enough

oh found you on the forums Alex - Jonathon Leach we checked a fuel solenoid going to the fuel rail if you take it off and cap the ends the car ran find i decided lets test the voltage and compare to my msp
when we did this we found that my properly functioning voltage jumped to 12 almost immediately and his voltage to the solenoid climbed a lot slower than mine you could count his voltage up. it leads me to believe that solenoid is stuck open when it is supposed to be close(we tried swapping solenoids, no cigar) what can yall think of in the wiring would cause that slow voltage increase?(not an electrician)

I have a 2003.5 MSP and its not wanting to drive really. I start it up and it idles so low, sometimes dies, and just chugs along with AFRs so lean it reads "- - -". After the car gets over itself it runs rich as hell idling at like 12.7 AFRs and just DUMPS fuel while cruising. I pulled the MAF and there is lots of condensation all in the IC pipes and MAF and think this is where my problem is. How and why is so much condensation getting in and how do i stop it? Thanks guys, -Alex

oh found you on the forums Alex - Jonathon Leach we checked a fuel solenoid going to the fuel rail if you take it off and cap the ends the car ran find i decided lets test the voltage and compare to my msp
when we did this we found that my properly functioning voltage jumped to 12 almost immediately and his voltage to the solenoid climbed a lot slower than mine you could count his voltage up. it leads me to believe that solenoid is stuck open when it is supposed to be close(we tried swapping solenoids, no cigar) what can yall think of in the wiring would cause that slow voltage increase?(not an electrician)

Latest posts

Back