Low oil pressure?

Tzar177

Contributor
Just noticed that at warm idle my oil pressure hangs around 10psi and frequently drops to about 5psi. Oil pressure appears to be normal on cold starts and cruisin, but looks to be a bit low on warm idle. Am I too low?

As long as it stays at around 50psi from 3k rpm onward at temperature you're fine. If not, you might have some issues.

I'm experiencing the same thing. What would be the cause of the drop in oil pressure?

Many things including turbo bearing failure, worn oil pump gears, worn rod or crankshaft bearings.

you guy are fine at idle oil is always low especially on newer cars did some research a while back for oil pressure sensor some sensors dont go off till 3psi but by that point your engine is toast and most after market sensors like the vdo oils sensor for saab goes off at 7psi but youll be seeing your engine oil light flickering.. hope that helps

If the engine is very warm and the idle is low because you are parked in traffic, then the oil pressure can go quite low.

I suggest however to make effing sure that it is at the correct level..

Then don't worry too much as long as it comes up when you are driving.

if its on your mind, rev up the engine once in a bit (If you are a manual trans)

Back