Idle drops when put into D or R (2021 CX-5 Turbo)

Is it normal for the idle to drop when going from park to drive or reverse? For example, when my car is running while in park it seems to idle normally. However, when I put it into drive or reverse (without actually moving yet with my foot still on the brake) I notice the idle drops off noticeably to point where it almost feels a bit too low. Is this normal? 2021 Turbo Sig.

Is it normal for the idle to drop when going from park to drive or reverse? For example, when my car is running while in park it seems to idle normally. However, when I put it into drive or reverse (without actually moving yet with my foot still on the brake) I notice the idle drops off noticeably to point where it almost feels a bit too low. Is this normal? 2021 Turbo Sig.
When you say the idle is too low, what is the rpm reading? What are the rpm‘s in Park and Drive / Reverse?

Completely normal. The torque converter is putting a load on the engine.

Here is my observation. Just got back from a short drive and checked the RPMs.

When engine is cold (just started up), the idle RPM is high, around 1500rpm.
After a while (10-20 secs), it drops down to 1000rpm. The initial high rpm is meant to heat up the CAT(s) for emission reduction.
At this point (1000rpm at idle), if you shift gear to R or D, rpm drops down to about 750.

Once the engine is warmed up fully, the idle speed is around 780-800rpm at P or N gear.
If you engage R or D, it still drops a bit (observable) to 750rpm (torque converter imposes load).

Hence, this RPM drop per se is more observable when engine is not fully warmed up.

Target warm idle is 550rpm. With A/C about 750rpm.
No, that is way too low and not in spec. The engine would run rough and vibrate the body to a point of almost stalling if that low. The vehicle computer should raise the idle when there is a load placed on it as the engine naturally will be stressed and rpms drop.

1683314668854.png

Back