Loud Popping Noise Going Over Bumps (Video)

Hey all I have a 2014 CX5 Touring. Just hit 60k miles. I'm hoping someone might have some insight on what this noise I'm hearing might be. When driving over bumps or dips in the road I get this loud pop or "clank". Sometimes it will happen when I'm stationary and turning the steering wheel. Definitely most prominent on the drivers side. I replaced the struts and shocks thinking it was a bad mount. The noise has persisted. I've attached a video with sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210711_205440.mp4
    18.1 MB
Did you check the bushings on the stabilizer bar and links? When you replaced the strut, did you replace the top hat too? Can you replicate by rocking the car? Do you only hear the noise when going thru bumps in a turn or going straight too?

One basic and fairly simple thing you can do is to check every suspension/subframe/steering bolt you can get to for looseness. But beyond that, guesswork and throwing parts is a waste of time and $$. Take it to a competent front end specialty shop for diagnosis. Then you can decide if you'll pay them to do the work, or try to make the repair yourself.

I just realized I misread your post. I thought the noise happened after your replaced the struts...if the noise was happening before, then my post is moot. I will delete it.

Hey all I have a 2014 CX5 Touring. Just hit 60k miles. I'm hoping someone might have some insight on what this noise I'm hearing might be. When driving over bumps or dips in the road I get this loud pop or "clank". Sometimes it will happen when I'm stationary and turning the steering wheel. Definitely most prominent on the drivers side. I replaced the struts and shocks thinking it was a bad mount. The noise has persisted. I've attached a video with sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If your 2014 CX-5 Touring sometimes will make the same "clank" noise when the car is stationary and turning the steering wheel, this basically eliminated some possible problems from suspension. One possibility is when you turn the front wheel and the moving makes steering components hit something. You can jack up the front and see if anything loose or hitting when someone else turning the steering wheel for you.

Did you check the bushings on the stabilizer bar and links? When you replaced the strut, did you replace the top hat too? Can you replicate by rocking the car? Do you only hear the noise when going thru bumps in a turn or going straight too?
Yes the top hat was replaced. I cannot replicate the noise by rocking the car or putting a bar in between any components and moving things. I hear the noise on bumps on a straight road and when turning as well.

Sounds like it could be rigid plastic popping when something deforms it. As with others above, my first thoughts were stabilizer bar related. Looks like time to inspect underneath again and do the old grab and shake, etc.

Is that coming from the front?

It definitely sounds like a swaybar clunking to me. Maybe check the swaybar brackets and endlinks. Or maybe even have a friend drive the car over the bump while you listen alongside?

good luck.

Update! I tightened down the bolts on the strut mounts and sound is gone. How the sound managed to persist through the old factory struts all the way to the new ones after I very carefully installed them and (thought) I tightened them down MORE than enough I will never know. Can't help but chuckle to myself about it. Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

Update! I tightened down the bolts on the strut mounts and sound is gone. How the sound managed to persist through the old factory struts all the way to the new ones after I very carefully installed them and (thought) I tightened them down MORE than enough I will never know. Can't help but chuckle to myself about it. Thanks for all the suggestions and input.
Thanks for the update and glad you’ve found the culprit of the clunking noise. Did you torque the strut tower nets to 37 ~ 43 ft-lbs as specified in factory service manual?

Back