Loose Ignition Switch

:
Protege5
Ever since I got my P5 it's had a picky ignition switch. I had to push inward on the key to get it to start, and even then it took 2 or 3 tries at times. I have never not been able to make it start though.

Today I looked into it, and found out that the plastic switch is slightly loose in the column, allowing just enough movement to stop the tumbler from activating the switch fully. If I hold the key in the start position (engine not starting) and push on the plastic switch, it will start.

What do you guys think? Replace the switch? I will check to make sure the screw is tight, but most of the movement is in the plastic tab on the bottom of the switch.

It might be smart to replace the switch... If it's that sloppy it might decide to turn your car off outta nowhere.

Apparently an aftermarket ignition switch may not work properly... Best to go OEM.

You may be able to tighten up your switch if you open it up and look??... Or score a half decent one from a junker...

Just an FYI for anyone reading this... It's generally not a good idea to hang too much crap off your ignition key... The weight and bouncing around can wear out your ignition switch...

It might be smart to replace the switch... If it's that sloppy it might decide to turn your car off outta nowhere.

Apparently an aftermarket ignition switch may not work properly... Best to go OEM.

You may be able to tighten up your switch if you open it up and look??... Or score a half decent one from a junker...

Just an FYI for anyone reading this... It's generally not a good idea to hang too much crap off your ignition key... The weight and bouncing around can wear out your ignition switch...

I'm gonna have a look at a Pick and Pull tomorrow, they have a very nice P5 that was wrecked in the front. I just wish I could remember if it still had the column or not.

An OEM switch isn't much more expensive than the aftermarkets, but I am curious why the aftermarket switches don't work well.

I did tighten the screw a little, but it didn't seem to help.

...but I am curious why the aftermarket switches don't work well.

I remembered a thread where a guy didn't have cluster lights (I think that's what it was). His mechanic replaced the ignition switch with aftermarket... Still didn't work... Put in an OEM and it worked....

Back