Looking to Purchase used P5

Good Evening All..

Found this forum online and that it was good place to find out more about the P5 and its reliability. I recently looked at purchasing a 2002 white P5 with 78K auto for about $4500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed good with some minor issues for a used car (such as needs alignment, possible rear brakes, vibration from wheels which possibly might be from wheels that need to be rebalanced). I did not some minor rust in the engine bay and more on the bottom of the drivers side door. I checked for more rust underneath the car and noticed some minor rust...nothing of the the ordinary especially after the winter we had here in NY. The engine seemed peppy and tranny felt fine. I did notice an issue with the sunroof sliding back into the roof....It feels like the rubber around the sunroof catches the back of the roof causing it to get stuck and not slide in...however when you give it a push down it functions normally.

Can you guys offer any insight and what do to for on these cars? What are some common issues with these cars? How much should I be paying for this car?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated?

i would not pay $4500 for a 12 year old car that needs all that work. i could sell you mine for $4000 it has 160k miles new tires no alignment issues or known rust all fluids are changed regularly synthetic oil and premium fliters. ceramic premium brake pads and new rotors recently changed. water pump and timing belt done at 120k struts and clutch/flywheel done at 145k miles. paint is in great shape just 12 year old car rock chips, but it is waxed very often and washed every week. just 1 or 2 door dings new headlight assemblies (old ones were crusted up and lights too dim) but i am in texas and your in new york soo....

Last edited:
That is a lot of money for that car. I would look else where. A one way flight can save you a lot of money some times

That's about what I got for mine and it had about the same mileage. It had no rust, one owner, all records, and was a bit more well kept, though.

That's not many miles for a P5...kinda rare to see. If he provides all the receipts and you don't find anymore rust, I'd take a closer look at it and maybe even buy it. An alignment is minor.

Rust underneath the car and in the wheel wells is an issue with these cars, and so is a puff of smoke upon start up. If possible, wait till the car's cold and fire it up. A little smoke for 5 seconds or so isn't a big deal in a Protege, but more smoke that that could be a bad sign.

Last edited:
That's about what I got for mine and it had about the same mileage. It had no rust, one owner, all records, and was a bit more well kept, though.

That's not many miles for a P5...kinda rare to see. If he provides all the receipts and you don't find anymore rust, I'd take a closer look at it and maybe even buy it. An alignment is minor.

Rust underneath the car and in the wheel wells is an issue with these cars, and so is a puff of smoke upon start up. If possible, wait till the car's cold and fire it up. A little smoke for 5 seconds or so isn't a big deal in a Protege, but more smoke that that could be a bad sign.

the worst of the rust is on the bottom of the drivers side door which needs to be fix asap. it started eating away at the door and started flaking off.

what are some issues P5 owners experience with this car ?

Rust and zoom zoom boom.

If the rust on the one you're looking at is real bad, a front door from any 3rd gen Protege will fit on a P5. Rears, not so much.

These cars are extremely reliable mechanically. We have a member here who has gone to 415,000KM without much more than rust issues.

Although these cars are known to rust more than others, for the money the seller is asking, I would expect to find NONE.

I bought my car rusty at 230,000km on it, but at a price so low that I will not mention. I still drive the car a year later by the way.

In conclusion, don't let high mileage be a turn off for these cars for you as much as rust, because once it starts, you will probably be dealing with it for the rest of the cars life.

If you haven't already done so, get a carfax report for the vehicle. They are pretty darn accurate at reporting DMV information, including mileage/accidents.

mine has been in the family since 05 and has been a great car (i want to sell because i want something faster) ignition coils have been the only real issue but thats common and easy fix on these cars. oh and a leaky rear brake caliper again easy fix and was done. my offer still stands.

Last edited:
They go for around 4000-6000 here depending on condition, miles, and options. But we aren't in the rust belt and used cars hold their value a lot better. So 4500 in this area is reasonable, but it may not be in yours.

Check kbb.com for a general guideline.

Make sure you do an OBD II scan. Make sure there are no codes and all the Readiness stuff comes back as 'Ready' or 'n/a'.

In my experience all the emissions stuff on these cars can be a PITA.

Latest posts

Back