Looking at buying P5, looking for feedback.

So I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I'm looking for something that's reliable, get's decent gas mileage and is somewhat enjoyable to drive. I had my sights set on a 99-01 Civic, but don't really care for the Honda's toyish feel and cheap interiors. I started checking out some P5's today, but then started reading up on the rust issues and reliability problems. Now...maybe I've just got good luck, but over the years I've only had to replace a water pump in my Jeep and a front wheel bearing in our SRT-4. And neither of those vehicles have rust/show signs of rust.

I really love the look of the P5, and after doing a few weeks of research, my options are pretty limited when it comes to a a good looking, economical, reliable and cheap ($3600-5000) car.

I'm looking for some general feedback from owners here. Are there P5 owners that haven't run into maintenance problems? Any feedback would be appreciated!

173,000 miles and never had to replace anything major that I didn't break on my own. Still riding on the original clutch, I don't baby it, but I don't beat on it too bad either. I think the rust issue is location based. Like any car, if it sees salted roads it will rust at some point. I'm in Florida and have no major rust what so ever. A few spots on the hood from rocks or bug chips, but overall nothing you will see without having to really look for it. The interior seems to hold up fairly well also.

By far a better car than a civic. I came from a 95 civic hatch before the P5 and would never even consider going back. compared to the civic, my car still feels brand new even with all of the miles. no creaks or rattles, try and say that about a civic even after 20k miles. The only thing the civic has on the Mazda would be fuel economy. I still get around 27 city 31 hwy in the Protege, not too bad. As long as you take care of the Mazda and follow a routine maintenance schedule it will treat you right and from my experience it is just as reliable as the Honda.

Driving the Mazda is hands down the most enjoyable car you will get in that price range. It's by no means a race car, but handles better than any of the other choices you have I'm sure.... Def go manual trans BTW

I bought my P5 last year in Feb with 78k miles. Now I have 148k and the car still runs well no problems. Did timing belt change, replaced the radiator, motor mounts and wheel bearings. Still on the stock clutch as well for now. I keep think about buying a MSP for a daily but I love having a rear wiper so I will just turbo my P5 and continue to leave my wife's MSP with 21K safe at home.

i have 3 proteges... an lx, a mazdaspeed and a p5.

both the msp and p5 are going to be for sale soon.

but, i love them all. great cars. great reliability.

In any car forum, regardless of price, you will have people who's cars were bullet-proof , those whose were lemons and everything in between. In general, these are sturdy little cars that are fun to drive, get decent mileage and can haul your stuff around. The bang-for the-buck factor is high ,maintenance is pretty cheap and mods are plentiful. I'm at 118,000 miles with nothing more than routine wear items replaced. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys...all of this feedback is really great. My ideal P5 would be a lower mileage, dark blue, manual. Found several throughout the country...need to make some calls and narrow my options down. Is there anything in particular that I should keep my eye out for with these? I understand that the timing belts should be replaced around 100k...anything else you guys can think of?

Thanks again!

Front engine mounts are a flimsy rubber and are torn after a few years. Side and rear mounts are better but should be checked as well. They are easy to replace (except the rear) yourself. I did 2 already.

(pic shows torn passenger side mount)

Attachments

• DSC_0969.JPG
    DSC_0969.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 135
Is there anything in particular that I should keep my eye out for with these?

Stray away from upper, snow-state P5s. That's where you get the rust.

You'll really enjoy the P5. I've had mine since it was 40k miles old and I'm at 85k now. I've never had any issues with it. The previous owner took better than excellent care with it. She's an excellent car.

P5's are excellent cars that look sportier than they are, with a good heaping of practicality. Ours has been above average in terms of reliability. Beware of rust, inspect thoroughly.

The only cars that get rusty are the states that see snow

i have a cali car and my cars 100% rust free.

i have had mine since May 2001... i got the first one in Las Vegas. i got an automatic... DO NOT get an automatic. The heat in Vegas kills the trans. i have put 3 in my car. motor mounts once, and brakes like so many i have lost count. The best thing i did to it was to put Eibach springs on the car... the car handles like a wagon Kart, also i have the 17" mazda 3 wheels on it. But... Truly love my MSP so much better!!

I bought mine from a snow state and have very little rust. It smokes when it starts from cold but it got 35.8mpg last 650mile trip and has 148,000 miles on it. I bought it with about 125k on it last year.

I bought mines brand new 5spd and have had it for 7 years now and got 75,000 miles. I only problems have had is to upgrade the motor mounts, the 3rd gear is grinding(Ford Crap) which i got to rebuild the trans later and last would be the rust. It doesnt snow here, but im surrounded by salt water=) Other then that the car is great!

bought from mazda dealer last year. within a month i had to replace the 3rd gear syncro and crank seal. had weird problems with it not turning on during cold weather. and now the battery keeps losing charged even though the battery and alternator are good. other than that it hasnt been all too bad. (compared to my hondas that is)

btw 80k miles at the that time and its a 5-speed

I've had mine for a couple months now, 129K, it came from Tn.....
no rust on anything, still clean like new underneath!
Bought it for the unusal look it had......
second week...it started misfiring , popping codes......
I found this website and followed some advice, and about $190
later and alot of cusswords....I actually threw a brand new snapon ratchet
at my garage wall where it sits in the wall still.
plugs , wires , coilpacks , PCV , Cleaned MAF & EGR and it now runs great.
Averages about 28mpg combined driving......handles pretty good for a FWD.
I paid $4500.....its mint in & out, gonna keep it all stock.
I have a S281 Saleen Mustang, that i was putting too many miles on,
and needed a daily driver, I sold a 2003 Explorer Sport trac..because of bad mileage...this MP5 was a good choice.

I've had mine since June. After passing over a lot of high mileage examples, I found my 5 spd 2002 in TN with 29K miles on it.

I spent some time and money detailing and de-ricing it (ditched the ugly wheels, fart pipe and Altezza tail lights), but now I've got it just the way I want it. I installed some new17" wheels and tires, and I've got to say it's one of the most fun, best handling cars I've ever owned.

Only issues I've have are buzzes and rattles so far. I get 28 mpg in city driving

I have a S281 Saleen Mustang, that i was putting too many miles on,
and needed a daily driver, I sold a 2003 Explorer Sport trac..because of bad mileage...this MP5 was a good choice.
Pics of Saleen? Glad i'm not the only one with a slow P5 and a fast Mustang!

hope you find what you're looking for. i just put one up for sale.. they seem to be good cars. i have a p5, msp and lx protege. check sig for info!

Latest posts

Back