Live 2019 Mazda3 Reveal

WOW! The only way to get manual is to buy the Premium Trim for $27.5K and no discount from the Auto. I guess Mazda US is effectively killing the MT.

No manual and AWD...I don't even care what trim level I'd have to buy but that's just dumb. Hopefully Mazda Canada is less idiotic.

No manual and AWD...I don't even care what trim level I'd have to buy but that's just dumb. Hopefully Mazda Canada is less idiotic.

No mention of Skyactiv X either. Is Mazda going to pull the same crap with this motor that they did with the diesel? Will we ever see it? Hmmmm.....

I was fairly sure we weren't going to see the manual w/AWD and tada! Eh- would I buy an awd 3 hatch for 30k with the 2.5na..very unlikely and I actually like the sedan better I think (and I'm a hatch guy)..Veloster N even though its FWD only and kinda weird looking like a no brainer given this choice. JR- guessing you've seen it but have you driven? Even if you hate it, would never buy a Hyundai, never a FWD whatever- if you like engagement and driving fun you owe to yourself- and tell em monty sent ya;) There's a chance sky-x awd 3er could tap-in for my gen1 5er but not holding my breath..

Last edited:
I was fairly sure we weren't going to see the manual w/AWD and tada! Eh- would I buy an awd 3 hatch for 30k with the 2.5na..very unlikely and I actually like the sedan better I think (and I'm a hatch guy)..Veloster N even though its FWD only and kinda weird looking like a no brainer given this choice. JR- guessing you've seen it but have you driven? Even if you hate it, would never buy a Hyundai, never a FWD whatever- if you like engagement and driving fun you owe to yourself- and tell em monty sent ya;) There's a chance sky-x awd 3er could tap-in for my gen1 5er but not holding my breath..

Veloster no. Too small.

Drove the Entra GT Sport. It was faster than the 3 but that was about the only thing I liked better. And I'm always wary of drastically smaller but more powerful turbo motors. Doesn't seem a recipe for longevity.

I had a wake when I learned how badly mazdausa screwed the new mazda3. They seem determined to jack prices way up on styling alone. Load the cars up with expensive frippery that I don't want, drop the 6MT that I do want, delay the skyactiv x engines. I suppose the last doesn't matter because the new models without skyactiv x are too expensive. The skyactiv x would be stupid expensive. The gas mileage benefit would never overcome the up-front costs. I'm moving on. The new mazda3s aren't competitive with the outgoing models which have fully-independent, multi-point rear suspension and 6MTs available on all trims.

Last edited:
I had a wake when I learned how badly mazdausa screwed the new mazda3. They seem determined to jack prices way up on styling alone. Load the cars up with expensive frippery that I don't want, drop the 6MT that I do want, delay the skyactiv x engines. I suppose the last doesn't matter because the new models without skyactiv x are too expensive. The skyactiv x would be stupid expensive. The gas mileage benefit would never overcome the up-front costs. I'm moving on. The new mazda3s aren't competitive with the outgoing models which have fully-independent, multi-point rear suspension and 6MTs available on all trims.

You should move on. Because every piece of data Mazda has shows that people want that expensive frippery, they don't want a MT and don't care if the rear is fully independent or a torsion beam, as long as it is quiet.

For all the crying about manuals, nobody buys them.

Didn't mazdausa try to remove the 6MT choice from certain trims once before? I'm sketchy on the details but a new model year came out with the 6MT offered on only one trim. They swiftly corrected their mistake the next model year by returning the 6MT choice on all trim levels for the "nobody wants a manual" folks.

I predict that the new mazda3 will sit on US dealer lots unloved and unwanted at MSRP. I predict that the tired, old, worn-out con of loading up trims with high-profit-margin crap that people don't want, but are forced to buy to get the engine/transmission they do want, will backfire. I predict that balloons will fly at dealers on unsold 2019 mazda3s with steep discounts on the hood.

Well, the first actual reviews are out, and contrary to your opinion, the professional experts disagree with you. The car handles, drives and is head and shoulders above the past gen.

Next time, you better come equipped with facts rather than pass your personal opinion off as the voice of the majority.

Well, the first actual reviews are out, and contrary to your opinion, the professional experts disagree with you. The car handles, drives and is head and shoulders above the past gen.

Next time, you better come equipped with facts rather than pass your personal opinion off as the voice of the majority.

Yeah, I love how people think large billion dollar companies do things without thinking about the consequences or market analysis...

Yeah, I love how people think large billion dollar companies do things without thinking about the consequences or market analysis...

Im sure Mazda knows what theyre doing. You may not agree, but you are also not privileged to the market research or business data they have gathered.

Any chance you can prove their Skyactiv X engine will be extremely expensive, as you put it?

I*m sure Mazda knows what they*re doing. You may not agree, but you are also not privileged to the market research or business data they have gathered.

Any chance you can prove their Skyactiv X engine will be extremely expensive, as you put it?

I am not the guy you said it would be extremely expensive. That was the strongbad fellow...

I'm waiting for the reviews to find out if the new rear suspension is OK or if it ruins the car. We'll see.

As far as the single trim level for the manual, it's a bit odd but it makes sense to me. I love driving a manual if it's a good one. Spare me the screaming and yelling if you don't or want to argue that the automatic is faster. Of course the auto is faster. It's just that I like driving a stick. And I don't want a base trim car.

My current stick is a 2006 Mazda 6s and it's not been replaced because it's got a stick, a strong engine, sunroof, leather, heated seats and the upgraded radio. Most of what has been available with a stick for the past few years is either a stripper or one level above. It would be nice to have a stick and some creature comforts. The trim in the 2006 basically matches the 2019 Mazda 3 in premium trim so it has me interested.

Manual drivers are an odd lot these days and the lowest cost/trim isn't really what we all want. Mazda may just get me to update the old 6 after all these years.

My wife and I each bought one in 2017 and 2018.

I drive stick for decades....I bought a DCT BMW M4....its better, plain and simple. Theres also a reason why the upcoming M-cars are offering only DCT with Xdrive (the higher end package)

My wife and I each bought one in 2017 and 2018.

By any chance, are your names Mr. and Mrs. Nobody?

That is a joke, but of course people still buy manuals. I can't find the link but I had seen a post were in the USA about 3% of all cars sold are manuals and of those 3%, almost 50% are either Jeeps or Trucks. For cars,

I'm waiting for the reviews to find out if the new rear suspension is OK or if it ruins the car. We'll see.

As far as the single trim level for the manual, it's a bit odd but it makes sense to me. I love driving a manual if it's a good one. Spare me the screaming and yelling if you don't or want to argue that the automatic is faster. Of course the auto is faster. It's just that I like driving a stick. And I don't want a base trim car.

My current stick is a 2006 Mazda 6s and it's not been replaced because it's got a stick, a strong engine, sunroof, leather, heated seats and the upgraded radio. Most of what has been available with a stick for the past few years is either a stripper or one level above. It would be nice to have a stick and some creature comforts. The trim in the 2006 basically matches the 2019 Mazda 3 in premium trim so it has me interested.

Manual drivers are an odd lot these days and the lowest cost/trim isn't really what we all want. Mazda may just get me to update the old 6 after all these years.

Reviews are generally good. Here is one in particular:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-is-smoother-quieter-and-still-fantast-1832068014

and here is another review by Road and Track:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a26087521/2019-mazda-3-sedan-first-drive-review/

Again, very positive.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the manual transmission is available only on the highest trim. That is a reverse of the situation in previous models. In the past, the manual transmission was made available to people who were looking to save money. So they were only available on the lower trims. Now Mazda flipped the switch and are catering to enthusiasts who specifically want a manual and not because they want to save money on the car. IMO that's a good thing. I want my manual with adaptive headlights and a sunroof and leather seats...

It also is a money making move for Mazda. You really want a manual? Then go buy the GT trim Mazda3 (where they make the most profit).

If I'm not mistaken, the manual transmission is available only on the highest trim. That is a reverse of the situation in previous models. In the past, the manual transmission was made available to people who were looking to save money. So they were only available on the lower trims. Now Mazda flipped the switch and are catering to enthusiasts who specifically want a manual and not because they want to save money on the car. IMO that's a good thing. I want my manual with adaptive headlights and a sunroof and leather seats...

It also is a money making move for Mazda. You really want a manual? Then go buy the GT trim Mazda3 (where they make the most profit).

The manual is also a no charge option over the automatic now, so yes the sole manual trim provides the largest profit margin for Mazda US.

In Canada the manual is available in all trims ($1,300 less than the automatci), but then we Canadians still like our manuals. :)

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...very-different-situation-north-of-the-border/

the manual transmission take rate for 2018 Mazda 3s amounted to 14 percent for sedans and 21 percent for hatchbacks.

Last edited:
Back