list of gripes about 2019 GT

:
2019 Cx-9 GT
Great SUV but there are certain issues I am not getting peace with (maybe with time !) and few of them you deal on everyday basis
1. Half heated steering wheel - while turning you feel the cold wheel - why would mazda cheap out on few more inches of heating the wheel
2. no side mirror memory - sharing with car with family and you need to adjust the mirrors. how much programming would that be here
3. tire pressure numbers missing - before it gets too low you can see what the tire pressure is and you can take corrective action
4. Front camera not so useful - why could they not give a nice resolution. you got to use it everyday and it is really nice to have but then resolution sucks
5. hands free tailgate - so nice to have and you would use while shopping. Now that they have it on 2020!!
6. No full spare tire - already had a post on it but then you don't deal it everyday and it is probably rare event- hopefully

Since we all different, these may not be issues for some. These were so simple things that Mazda could do and make it a much better SUV than many out there ---and I guess these would cost them a little ???
Sometimes I feel I should have bought a Pilot elite model ( I was considering it but kinda pricey)

It's kind of ridiculous that they added the hands-free liftgate before adding what you listed in points 2 and 3. They seem like simple programming changes, but I'm unfamiliar with how they tie into the software, so maybe it's more than a simple firmware update.

The full size spare would definitely be nice to have. I think that's going on my list of things to do/upgrade this summer.

Great SUV but there are certain issues I am not getting peace with (maybe with time !) and few of them you deal on everyday basis
1. Half heated steering wheel - while turning you feel the cold wheel - why would mazda cheap out on few more inches of heating the wheel
2. no side mirror memory - sharing with car with family and you need to adjust the mirrors. how much programming would that be here
3. tire pressure numbers missing - before it gets too low you can see what the tire pressure is and you can take corrective action
4. Front camera not so useful - why could they not give a nice resolution. you got to use it everyday and it is really nice to have but then resolution sucks
5. hands free tailgate - so nice to have and you would use while shopping. Now that they have it on 2020!!
6. No full spare tire - already had a post on it but then you don't deal it everyday and it is probably rare event- hopefully

Since we all different, these may not be issues for some. These were so simple things that Mazda could do and make it a much better SUV than many out there ---and I guess these would cost them a little ???
Sometimes I feel I should have bought a Pilot elite model ( I was considering it but kinda pricey)

Ha! I do love to gripe, my wife would say.

For your list:
1. Limited steering wheel heat - I agree, although I've adjusted.
2. I've never had a mirror with memory, but I'd alter this point: I wish the car recognized fobs so when I get in my seat is adjusted automatically. Do higher brands like Lexus, BMW etc alter steering wheels, mirrors, seat? Id love that. And if it could also alter presets on radio...
4. Cam resolution...I find changing view so it's only front cam helps, split screen is horrible
5. YESYESYES I regret not waiting for this in 2020 (have a 2019)

For my list I'd add the ever debatable lack of Lane Centering.

I thought the button unlock on door handle would annoy me, but I don't mind it.

I found it awkward to not have a small hand "hole" to pull door closed, but I've adjusted to using handle.

Last edited:

I'd prob also mention over sensitive Blind Spot monitor, hit and miss walk away lock feature, remote starter (from dealer in Ontario) that isn't able to hold settings upon start. Map functionality is better on my CRV but if i ever get around to trying Android Auto maybe that issue goes away.

But

I still wouldn't go back and get Pilot, despite my complaints. I find it's awkward looking, interior is not same level, and I don't really need it's advanced AWD. My CX9 problems are small things, for me it does the big things amazing. Style, luxury interior and driving dynamics. And it does still seem to be able to best the others in reviews, despite it's small capacities. The extra size in a Pilot or even the Korean 7 seaters would certainly sway me a bit if I needed space, but size of CX9 works for me.

2. I've never had a mirror with memory, but I'd alter this point: I wish the car recognized fobs so when I get in my seat is adjusted automatically. Do higher brands like Lexus, BMW etc alter steering wheels, mirrors, seat? Id love that. And if it could also alter presets on radio...

It's odd that Mazda appears to have removed the mirror memory after adding it to the first generation sometime during the model run. My 2010 didn't have this but I believe they added it a couple years later.

I agree with most of those points. The lack of heating on the top and bottom does not really bother me but but 2,3 and 4 I would agree with 100%!

You CAN have the fob be programmed to your seat settings. With the engine running and the gear in park, press the SET button on the seat and then press the unlock button on your fob. The hazard lights will flash twice to confirm. Now every time you unlock the car (via fob or door handle button), it will recognize which fob is closest and will adjust your seats automatically.

You can actually use this and have 4 seat presets, 2 on the seat buttons and 2 for each fob (or possibly more if you have more fobs).

My dad-in-law's Lexus adjusts everything with the seat presets: seats, steering wheel, mirrors. It's actually very useful. The only thing I wished for in this car is that at least have the passenger side mirror tilt down when reversing.

You CAN have the fob be programmed to your seat settings. With the engine running and the gear in park, press the SET button on the seat and then press the unlock button on your fob. The hazard lights will flash twice to confirm. Now every time you unlock the car (via fob or door handle button), it will recognize which fob is closest and will adjust your seats automatically.

You can actually use this and have 4 seat presets, 2 on the seat buttons and 2 for each fob (or possibly more if you have more fobs).

My dad-in-law's Lexus adjusts everything with the seat presets: seats, steering wheel, mirrors. It's actually very useful. The only thing I wished for in this car is that at least have the passenger side mirror tilt down when reversing.
Woah, now I know what I'm doing over the lunch hr. Thx!!

I bought 2019 CX-9 GT for my wife last Saturday. Your list is spot on with my observations.

Interestingly the dealers tout about Mazda playing in near luxury category but lack of some of these very basic features such as memory linked mirrors, and camera resolution are not even on par with bargain brands.
I would love to know the reason behind leaving top and bottom of the steering unheated.

It is a fantastic vehicle otherwise.
Some of the things are ahead of the pack the pack such as, HUD, rain sensing wipers but everyday convenience features are missing.

Another thing I noticed is that when I unlock using memory linked key fob it adjusts the seat position before hand which means a short driver who sits close to steering would have move seat back to get in then move up again after sitting. It should have been program to move in to saved position after driver door is closed making it easy to get in and move back up again when door is opened to make room when getting out.

Steering wheel:
- I don't know why its like that (and also would love to hear the reason) but it is common across other vehicles as well (subaru ascent for example). I am not sure it is a money thing. Also remember that the heated steering wheel is a 2018 model year addition. It wasn't there on earlier model and had to be retrofitted into the design to the existing car for the following years (2018 and up).

How can it not be money saving on any of this? About steering wheel, dealer told me it's because mazda is a driver's brand and they know where drivers hold the wheel. I rolled my eyes at him.

I'd hate to think were at point where some lawyers at some company said it's the best place legally to encourage owners to hold wheel...I don't believe that, but it did cross my mind.

I use heated wheel often enough, but it's not for long duration of each drive so there are other things I'd like them to spend money on.

But I suppose we need to remember that engineering the driving dynamics on a car also costs money, which they've clearly done. In the end each company needs to strike a balance, esp if they're the size of subaru, mazda, etc.

Steering wheel:
- I don't know why its like that (and also would love to hear the reason) but it is common across other vehicles as well (subaru ascent for example). I am not sure it is a money thing. Also remember that the heated steering wheel is a 2018 model year addition. It wasn't there on earlier model and had to be retrofitted into the design to the existing car for the following years (2018 and up).

Apparently some Lexus, BMW, and Audi steering wheels only heat the sides or the bottom half of the wheel. I also saw a bunch of Nissan commercials yesterday, and their steering wheels only heat the areas from 2-4 o'clock and 8-10 o'clock. I've seen some discussion stating that it's meant to discourage resting your hands in the unheated areas, where it would be unsafe if the airbags were to go off.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is the slow boot up of the infotainment system and the low-res cameras. Other than those 2, I’m too busy enjoying the way the CX-9 drives that nothing else bothers me.

I’m too busy enjoying the way the CX-9 drives that nothing else bothers me.
This says it all. It is really what we all bought it for. The little things missing wouldn't make me change my mind. This thing just drives like it's a sedan. And even my sister complimented the interior, and she's more the corolla type of person so it really had to shine to impress her.

I'm sure the owners of Pilots etc all have their reasons for buying.

But if Mazda decided to put money toward heated things, or automated things, and the vehicle lost it's edge (I feel that's where Hyundai has gone, except with the Pallisade), I might not be so inclined to buy.

I like driving, at the end of the day.

My 2...or 3 cents:
1) Lack of side mirror position memory; surprised this was not the case. This is my first vehicle in over a dozen years without that feature. I initially thought I couldn't find it in the manual but as we know, it is simply not available. You would think it would be an easy programming feature and would facilitate several drivers in the household starting off with less hassle
2) Steering wheel....heating of bottom only. Certainly better than no heater, I had none in my 2017 MDX tech! was funny to have just the bottom as out other vehicles including a Nissan/infiniti product heat all round and boy, does the Inifini truck steering get nice and toasty on a cold day. I do know to warm my hands on the bottom of the CX9 wheel till the car warms up though and we get along just fine
3) Surround view and front/reverse camera; horrible! I waited for and tested the 2020's before purchasing the 2019 GT. other than the magnification scale of about 1.1, no real advantage. My 7 year old trcu has much better resolution and clarity and is less rain sensitive - so are other older vehicles I have driven, both in the "luxury" and "entry luxury" segment. Kind of a let down, but again, the essential data is available and one does not drive with the cameras most of the time. I only worry about the distorted perspective as it might be less clear for younger drivers in the household when their turn to drive comes along
4) lack of trip average speed/mph as well as lack of a daily trip meter - distance, average speed, average gas. Might seem trivial but on long trips, I have become accustomed to seeing my average speed - i know we have average gas. Also this function does not reset daily. You would think one of the meters would be programmed for daily use or at least have the option of programming as desired by the user. This is one of my more bothersome lacking features, as small as it may seem, even more than the heating of the steering or side mirror issue.
5) lack of paddle shifters. The steering size fits wonderfully in the hand, I very often instinctively reach for paddles and need to remind myself each time that there are none. With a 6 speed tranny, they would have been great

I also second Vdev on absence of tire pressure numbers.
I believe I can do without the hands free tailgate, hence my purchase of the 2019 ...though as fate would have it, I could have used it post thanksgiving shopping just 2 days after purchasing the car as i got there with full hands:)

All of that said though, I love, love, to drive the car. I love the interior finish. They strike above the average in terms of aesthetics - I have never had a 3 row SUV which I turn to look back at often after parking, the lines are great/beautiful (I have had a couple of coupes which elicit such emotions though;)) For a 4 cylinder, it is really quiet, except under hard acceleration

Apparently some Lexus, BMW, and Audi steering wheels only heat the sides or the bottom half of the wheel. I also saw a bunch of Nissan commercials yesterday, and their steering wheels only heat the areas from 2-4 o'clock and 8-10 o'clock. I've seen some discussion stating that it's meant to discourage resting your hands in the unheated areas, where it would be unsafe if the airbags were to go off.
My 2011 Nissan Murano had full heated steering, same for my Infiniti QX60. It gets super hot in the Infiniti, while Mazda's steering does get as hot, I think that could be a possible reason, say if it is too hot and since there is no control other than on/off, having some unheated part could strike the balance?

My 2...or 3 cents:
1) Lack of side mirror position memory; surprised this was not the case. This is my first vehicle in over a dozen years without that feature. I initially thought I couldn't find it in the manual but as we know, it is simply not available. You would think it would be an easy programming feature and would facilitate several drivers in the household starting off with less hassle
2) Steering wheel....heating of bottom only. Certainly better than no heater, I had none in my 2017 MDX tech! was funny to have just the bottom as out other vehicles including a Nissan/infiniti product heat all round and boy, does the Inifini truck steering get nice and toasty on a cold day. I do know to warm my hands on the bottom of the CX9 wheel till the car warms up though and we get along just fine

I agree with 1) I would also add reverse tilt down.. older generation CX9 had that IMO (can anyone confirm?) not sure why is current gen missing it.

- Remote Start, every car has it, come on it is 2020, it should be standard on all Mazdas, add the cost to MSRP i don't care, i don't want after market junk.

Has somebody noticed that outside temp gauge takes a while to get to correct temp - it is so slow. I am just wondering if mine is faulty or Mazda put some cheapo temp gauge?

I agree with 1) I would also add reverse tilt down.. older generation CX9 had that IMO (can anyone confirm?) not sure why is current gen missing it.

- Remote Start, every car has it, come on it is 2020, it should be standard on all Mazdas, add the cost to MSRP i don't care, i don't want after market junk.

Just speaking for myself..
I'm glad the CX-9 doesn't come with either of these things. My mom had an X3 with reverse tilt down, and it never worked right. Sometimes it would tilt all the way down and keep trying to tilt down further, and it never returned to the regular position after tilting down.

Remote start would have been a waste for me. I'm happy with it being an optional accessory - those who want the convenience can pay for it, and those who don't pay a little less for the car. I'm also of the opinion that Mazda's OEM Remote Start is not the ideal option. I've read great things about Fortin and Drone Mobile.

Sometimes it would tilt all the way down and keep trying to tilt down further, and it never returned to the regular position after tilting down.

Mazda's OEM Remote Start is not the ideal option.

That would suck for the mirrors. Esp when leaving parking spot...try to drive and you're trying to readjust mirrors. Ugh. (and with stroller I'm 100 % of time pull in forward, so I'd be wondering about that possible malfunction after every park job)

Remote start from Mazda is definitely a less than perfect option. I'm still glad I paid for it...barely. It simply starts vehicle. No seat or steering wheel heat settings will activate. But warmth I find is quicker once on road. One issue I discovered is if you leave wipers on (i tend to forget), the remote start will activate those wipers. If they're caked in ice...I'd think thats not good. We'll see if I can get into routine of turning off before leaving car at work.

Back