Like DDM tunning?! Read this, you'll be surprised

Protege03ak46

Protege Stance OG
Contributor
:
aggressive auto culture
So they've decided to "re-invent" themselves, In other words there no longer selling hid parts/kits. You can read that here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21076341&postcount=1

This is WHY:
5181883649_3338e404ec_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... one of my friends just purchased some bulbs from them last week and is wondering why it's taking so long to ship. I will show him this, thanks.

well, i for one feel bad for them.
-anyone who pays $30 for an HID kit and complains when the bulbs are 500k off is an idiot.
-id be willing to bet that DDM had no idea: they get their bulbs by the palate from china and just pull ones out of the labelled boxes. you mean to say that china/taiwan could be selling bulbs with the wrong color rating? no way. and DDM cant sue them, i have a funny feeling knockoff HID bulb companies arent under the jurisdiction of the "bait and switch" laws.
-clearly theyre screwing the form up, but so what? buy a kit from ebay and youre doing the same thing. in fact, id be willing to guess anyone whos not selling OEM D2S philips bulbs is importing them illegally. and were all breaking the law by using non-DOT approved reflectors, and non-DOT approved projectors, so who cares.

so congratulations to the people who wrote this, you attacked an american company that a lot of people used for cheap HID kits, and exposed the HID game for the shady business we are all aware it is. at least DDM wasnt making $60 on every sale, but now that theyre gone, we can all collectively get ripped off by other HID sellers who buy from the same merchants anyways.

-anyone who pays $30 for an HID kit and complains when the bulbs are 500k off is an idiot.
-id be willing to bet that DDM had no idea: they get their bulbs by the palate from china and just pull ones out of the labelled boxes. you mean to say that china/taiwan could be selling bulbs with the wrong color rating? no way. and DDM cant sue them, i have a funny feeling knockoff HID bulb companies arent under the jurisdiction of the "bait and switch" laws.
-clearly theyre screwing the form up, but so what? buy a kit from ebay and youre doing the same thing. in fact, id be willing to guess anyone whos not selling OEM D2S philips bulbs is importing them illegally. and were all breaking the law by using non-DOT approved reflectors, and non-DOT approved projectors, so who cares.

so congratulations to the people who wrote this, you attacked an american company that a lot of people used for cheap HID kits, and exposed the HID game for the shady business we are all aware it is. at least DDM wasnt making $60 on every sale, but now that theyre gone, we can all collectively get ripped off by other HID sellers who buy from the same merchants anyways.

i kinda got to agree with this

Im sorry, I cant agree with this. Its almost like you are taking DDM's side here. If they truely do not know where they are getting there product from, then they deserve to get closed down. Real HIDs are expensive........if you think that you are getting an awesome deal by buying these then you should be closed down as well. IF I BUY ANYTHING UNDER THE PRETENSE THAT IT IS ADVERTISED AS ONE THING, AND IT IS SOMETHING ELSE............IM SORRY I AM NOT AN IDIOT........REGARDLESS IF IT IS A PEICE OF GUM OR A FERRARI. This is more about the principle than the product, which you missed out on when you posted your provincial comment. I am very passionate about this because I have had it happen before and I will not spend a dime on anything that I am not absolutely certain about. They deserve what they get, whether or not DDM knowingly advertised falsely or not, either way it shows poor business practice and quality control.

Regardless, if you buy these bulbs under the impression of the advertisement, and can prove the advertisement exists but the product is not what was advertised, then you have false advertisement. This also means different color of bulbs........or coilovers.......which I have seen in person and they are simply junk, but advertised different. DDM has shady business practices and deserve civil action lawsuit....end of story.

i am absolutely taking DDM's side.
you said it well: you get what you pay for. they were not only cheap but had a lifetime warranty. thats about as good of service as anyone can ask for in the HID game at that price. you want to pay triple to get the same ballasts but the right bulb color? fine. thats up to you. and if you wouldnt spend a dime on anything you werent absolutely certain about, youd be crazy to buy an HID kit less than a $150 morimoto kit. anyone with common sense should be aware of that -- you certainly are.

the coilovers are the only thing that really rubs me wrong. thats pretty nauseating, since there is no possible way they were misinformed about where they were produced -- they just opted to lie about it. again though, if everyone sells coilovers for $1000+ and they have them for $300, wouldnt that set off alarm bells?

and i hate to break it to you, but look at all the vendors who sell aftermarket parts. you want to shut down DDM? youre going to end up shutting down everyone but HKS and AEM. you could spend $200 on their turbo timers, but the $30 ebay ones are the same less the advanced features, and they work just as well for 90% of people, since they dont use the advanced features anyways.

i can keep going if you want me to. its a shame they couldnt get better QC or a SLIGHTLY better vendor, but i have no pity for the people filing the lawsuit. get over yourselves.

I saw a news story that was similar to this issue. It was about recycling computer products in America. We are told that they are broken down and reused to be environmentally friendly, but the truth was they were being shipped to China or wherever in Asia and being burned to collect the expensive metals and whatnot. This creates toxic fumes, and land fills.

The point is, the computer products were being shipped from America by an American company that was well aware that it is not legal to ship such items overseas. Both parties are at fault, regardless of where they are located.

I had a DDM tuning kit on my P5, I think it's a shame they can't sell them anymore even though I won't buy another plug n' play HID kit. For $40 or whatever I paid they were worth it they outlasted my P5.

I'm agreeing. DDM tuning brought some fair play to the field in terms of HID technology. Most vendors buy the kits for around 50 but add a 150% mark up to 150-200. I'm sorry but that is assinine. I run an auto parts store and if we were to consistently making a 150% profit we would be sued. I have used one of both kits and honestly the DDM kit was of much better quality.

I still think you missed my point.

If I buy a $.05 piece of minty fresh gum, but open it to find cinnamon gum......Im going to want either the $.05 back or I want my minty gum. Its principle, DDM or not. Yeah you spend $40 on a kit, but it wasn't the color that you wanted, get your money back or get the color you want. I am not sure about every other vendor, but DDM got caught not once, but twice. Sorry but thats plenty for me to never tell someone to buy from them unless they want s*** for parts or something they didn't order. Im not quite sure what you are trying to get at with your posts, but I am simply talking abouy PRINCIPLE. I have a wife and 2 girls, so I tend to watch money alittle more than the average single car guy who can blow some money on something they did of didn't want. Its really not so much about the quality of the parts, as much as it is the principle of truthful business and not letting someone "get one over on me". Why does it seem like I am the only one that sees this?

I'm agreeing. DDM tuning brought some fair play to the field in terms of HID technology. Most vendors buy the kits for around 50 but add a 150% mark up to 150-200. I'm sorry but that is assinine. I run an auto parts store and if we were to consistently making a 150% profit we would be sued. I have used one of both kits and honestly the DDM kit was of much better quality.

Everyone is missing the point. I have been a manager fulltime/parttime for 8 years now at an autoparts store in the southeast(AAP) and most shops that we sell to get brake pads for $27 and charge the customer $75-$100 just for the part. That is how money is made in the auto biz, but not what I am trying get across. Im talking about principle of business. Even though a shop may charge 3x's the price, at least it is the right part and the one that its suppose to be.

^^^Thats the real travesty. I can understand charging for labor, but not the insane overcharging for parts. Of course you could always buy the parts yourself and have them do it/do it yourself.

I also think most people want HIDs for the look. Most wouldn't notice/care the difference between 4500 and 5000k. They just want the HID look. I happen to agree with both Yudkib and Highspeed.

I also think most people want HIDs for the look. Most wouldn't notice/care the difference between 4500 and 5000k. They just want the HID look. I happen to agree with both Yudkib and Highspeed.

Yeah most people wont be able to tell the difference, but a business should know what they are selling and not advertise falsely. Yudkib and I have different views of what the other is trying to get across. I simply think bad business practice is more important than the product being offered. I could never sell r134a that we had in the store to customers because the small can stuff that you buy has a ton of extra crap in it that actually can do more harm than good. Although I got in trouble by not pushing a product, I allowed the customer to make there decision. If they asked me what I thought about it, I told them, but otherwise they made their own decisions. I just couldn't knowingly tell them something that I did not believe in and have them buy it.

I agree with highspeed 100%. Yea it's great that DDM was trying to offer an affordable price, but you can't just let a company break laws because they are domestic and not the evil foreign company. I sold computers for a short while at Circuit City before they tanked, and I would guide the customer to whatever computer I thought would best suit their needs. If they were comparing a $1000 Sony Vaio to a $700 Acer and asked me why they had the same specs but a different price, I would tell them exactly what I thought. The brand name is the only difference. Sony computers do not perform any better than an Acer will, given they have the same specs. I think it is ridiculous what some companies charge for a product that can be found for much cheaper, but at the same time you don't always want to go with the cheaper product because of shady business like this. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I agree with highspeed 100%. Yea it's great that DDM was trying to offer an affordable price, but you can't just let a company break laws because they are domestic and not the evil foreign company. I sold computers for a short while at Circuit City before they tanked, and I would guide the customer to whatever computer I thought would best suit their needs. If they were comparing a $1000 Sony Vaio to a $700 Acer and asked me why they had the same specs but a different price, I would tell them exactly what I thought. The brand name is the only difference. Sony computers do not perform any better than an Acer will, given they have the same specs. I think it is ridiculous what some companies charge for a product that can be found for much cheaper, but at the same time you don't always want to go with the cheaper product because of shady business like this. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Yep, you see what I am saying, thats all I was trying to get across.

did you ever buy a kit from them? have you ever asked for a refund or the correct bulbs? i havent bought from them so i dont know. all i know is i cant order from them for my maxima anymore.

anyways, i could very easily see the plaintiffs for a class action suit not bothering to ask for the situation to be corrected, just serving them papers. it could have been one of the companies thats insistent on ripping everyone off.
and what does does the image say? if you got the wrong color, ASK FOR A REFUND. if youre unhappy and they refuse to refund you, then i can back you up a little. but i think if you complained you had the wrong bulbs and it was a dealbreaker, then theyd refund you. if they have a lifetime warranty id think theyd have to...

Latest posts

Back