LED Headlamps shake

:
'16 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello, I purchased '16 Grand touring last Aug.
I am pretty happy with all the 'high-tech' options come along with the GT. However, when I drive on the uneven pavements and bridge gaps in the night time, I can literally see the led beams are shaking. I mean, a lot. I really like the brightness of the headlamps but, It is quite annoying while I am driving.
Does any owner of '16 cx-9 experience headlamps shake like mine?

Sorry we do not have that experience. If yours didn't do it when new then I would suggest taking it in to the service dept to be checked out.

Thank you for the comment.
It was like that from new. I guess I should bring her to the dealership.

Could it be your adaptive front lighting system? Try turning it off in the settings screen and see if it helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am pretty happy with all the 'high-tech' options come along with the GT. However, when I drive on the uneven pavements and bridge gaps in the night time, I can literally see the led beams are shaking. I mean, a lot. I really like the brightness of the headlamps but, It is quite annoying while I am driving.

I have also experienced the headlamp shake that you are referring to. I guess I need to take it back to the dealership to get it looked at.

might be either of three things ? (1) the adaptive LED module is on a swivel that follows your steering wheel, on uneven pavement, your steering wheel is constantly vibrating/rotating with the road.
this may cause the shaking.......(2) the swivel is loose and needs to be tightened or (3) it's just designed that way and the swivel motor is so heavy and support mount is improperly designed and it only happens on bumpy roads and there's no fix

I agree that the vibration may be related to the auto-leveling and/or adaptive (steering) mechanisms.

Last year, I noticed a similar shaking with adaptive led headlight vibration on my then-new 2016 MX-5 Miata.
I brought it to the attention of my service advisor who duplicated the issue and then arranged for headlight replacement.

The new headlights also vibrate a bit, but not nearly as much as the originals.
I learned to live with it rather than try for a second replacement set.

I've noticed a similar vibration with the CX-9 lights; somewhat less than in the Miata and certainly nothing that rises to the need for a service appointment.

I think that some vibration is inevitable with all the moving parts in the adaptive headlights.
Only you can decide whether the vibration is serious enough to schedule a visit with the service department.

Could it be your adaptive front lighting system? Try turning it off in the settings screen and see if it helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have tried before and didn't feel better at the time. I guess I will try what you suggested one more time before take it back to the dealership.

might be either of three things ? (1) the adaptive LED module is on a swivel that follows your steering wheel, on uneven pavement, your steering wheel is constantly vibrating/rotating with the road.
this may cause the shaking.......(2) the swivel is loose and needs to be tightened or (3) it's just designed that way and the swivel motor is so heavy and support mount is improperly designed and it only happens on bumpy roads and there's no fix

I thought it is caused by either (1) or (2), and hoped (2), which is fixable.

I agree that the vibration may be related to the auto-leveling and/or adaptive (steering) mechanisms.
I think that some vibration is inevitable with all the moving parts in the adaptive headlights.

I agree. Maybe I should try to disable the AFLS and see I can live up with that.

I experienced the same in my wife's CX-9 and attributed it to a couple things:

1. LED projected lamps that provide a much more focused light than older types.
2. Number 1 + a very noticeable top cutoff pattern which makes movement more apparent.
3. The the inherent mobility of the adaptive lighting.

Overall, I think it's fine.

I noticed that too, but remember, it's an adaptive system, the lights move up/down with speed and side to side when turning. It's find...unless it's shaking uncontrollably, a little bit should be ok.

Back