Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

On mazdausa.com's news site as well.
Note this sentence...
"The CX-90 will be offered with a highly anticipated all-new powerful and responsive 3.3L Inline Six e-Skyactiv Turbo engine."

It mentions "e-Skyactiv". That means PHEV.
So, this engine could be paired with E-motor to hit more than 400hp.
Maybe a top end model.

Last edited:
Note this sentence...
"The CX-90 will be offered with a highly anticipated all-new powerful and responsive 3.3L Inline Six e-Skyactiv Turbo engine."

Maybe a top end model.
No, it is just a mild hybrid like the 3.3l diesel in Europe that is also called e-Skyactiv.

This engine provides CX-90 an engaging driving experience with a rewarding exhaust note, while also featuring a mild-hybrid system for efficiency without compromising on performance.

No, it is just a mild hybrid like the 3.3l diesel in Europe that is also called e-Skyactiv.
In a way, that makes sense. Mazda is not known for providing top-notch horsepower among competing products. One still can hope. ;)

Last edited:
Note this sentence...

Maybe a top end model.

Still a little confused it they are going to have an PHEV and a turbo inline 6 or just one engine.

Still a little confused it they are going to have an PHEV and a turbo inline 6 or just one engine.
Two engine choices:
- Inline 4 full PHEV leveraging Toyota technology
- Inline 6 turbo with 48v mild hybrid

PHEV is built in Alabama, so should qualify for the EV credit, although maybe not the mineral origin component (post March). Hopefully will be clarified when announced on Jan 31.

Kinda hard to justify the two, right?
PHEV: 323hp 369lb-ft
vs
I-6: 340hp 369lb-ft
I love in-line sixes, but at those power levels the PHEV just makes more sense, and the PHEV might actually be quicker with the better response of the electric motor. The only advantage of the I-6 will be the overall feel of that motor and 8-speed combo. I-6’s are inherently balanced and smooth. The power delivery should be more linear and satisfying. Where as the PHEV’s on/off 4-cyl component would make the car feel like more of an appliance.

vs
I love in-line sixes, but at those power levels the PHEV just makes more sense, and the PHEV might actually be quicker with the better response of the electric motor. The only advantage of the I-6 will be the overall feel of that motor and 8-speed combo. I-6’s are inherently balanced and smooth. The power delivery should be more linear and satisfying. Where as the PHEV’s on/off 4-cyl component would make the car feel like more of an appliance.

In thinking what could differentiate the two, I assume the PHEV would be heavier and also might not tow as much. They could also make the I6-T version feel sportier.

With the removal of the Lexus RX's 6 cylinder, this could be a viable alternative if it hits the mark.

According to Jonathan Sewell... a salesman+youTuber
There might be three powertrains.
The announced 340hp 3.3L ICE-G (on 93 octane, likely 310hp on 87).
A high-output version of the ICE. (twin turbo?)
And PHEV.
We will know more on the 19th.

He might be wrong, BTW, but I assume he knows more than we do but cannot reveal much due to info embargo.

vs
I've had V8s (unfortunately in pick ups not sedans/coupes but still), however never an inline 6. I'm running out of chances to have an engine like that, so I know which box I'd check all things being equal.

I've had V8s (unfortunately in pick ups not sedans/coupes but still), however never an inline 6. I'm running out of chances to have an engine like that, so I know which box I'd check all things being equal.
That was my #1 reason for buying my current car. I wanted a turbo inline 6 before they went extinct.

So personally, I'm perfectly happy with my CX-9, but I will absolutely be using the potential of the failed cylinder head to attempt to convince my wife that we should upgrade to the 90 when the powertrain warranty on the 9 runs out, lol. That is, assuming that I like the looks and pricing of the 90, and assuming I prefer it over whatever the competition has to offer at the time.

Posted by Mazda USA on their YouTube channel just 1 hour ago!

We hear engine tone (from inside the cabin), and we get some driver feedback. Engine tone sounds a bit muted but refined, unfortunately no engine start up or audio of the car accelerating from outside the cabin. We get a slightly better idea of how it will look exterior-wise (very CX-60 like in appearance), and a look at the new wheels, which remind me of the 1st gen CX-5's "vampire fangs", a look I really like. Body-coloured fender trim makes an appearance! They briefly talk about the transmission, where they mention that the torque converter has been removed to make everything smaller, which results in more room up front for suspension components allowing for more steering angle and "better, proper, sports car suspension". There is also mention of the engine's "potential" - which makes me more hopeful for a high-output version of this engine in the future. Finally a nice shot of the front bumper and grille, which looks really good IMO.

Nice… liking the commitment to performance and handling. Harkens back to the original CX-9 concept of an SUV that handles much better than the average bloat-mobile.

There was one spot where the six was winding up, and it sounded quite nice! But fuel economy is more likely to dictate a PHEV for me…

Just saw the video. Car looks very much like the CX-60, which is not a bad thing. The reports from Europe were that the CX-60 was not very sporty. This makes me wonder how a larger car will be sporty. Maybe through the use of a lighter non PHEV engine?

Agreed. Altough i have very little hope of it being the removable.
41C431B1-243D-451E-8E74-6679DB4DCC2A.png

Back